442 Found In woods. Worth Restoring???

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2016, 07:27 PM

442 Found In woods. Worth Restoring???

Hello everybody!
So I was working on a farm for an old man cleaning up scrap and garbage. He has a bunch of old cars sitting around. Mostly old wagons and junk. But I came across a car that was under a tarp. covered in dirt and grass. I pulled the tarp off and I found the car. Everything that could be removed on the outside of the car ( body panels, trim etc.) was off. the motor, trans, and rear axle are gone. I opened the passenger door to find all of the body panels and trim inside of the car. On the fenders it says 442. The trunk lid has white stripes on it. The body panels only have light surface rust. Everything seems to be there. Except maybe the rear windshield. I tried writing the vin down but its very rusty and I cant read it. I found the body tag and decoded it. Its a 1969 Olds 442. I managed to figure out the first 7 digits of the vin using the body tag (which is 344879m) But research tells me the last 6 are not on the body tag.
The old man cant remember much about it and doesn't have the title. He says I can have it but is not really willing to help get the title.

So my question's to any one reading

1. Is it worth restoring
2. Where can I find the rest of the VIN?

Thanks for any help. I will post pics ASAP. I already have pics of the body tag if you need to see it.
Old March 24th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Unless you have a fully equipped shop and are retired, it is not worth restoring.

However, it may be worth selling to someone who fits the above description, as it is probably worth more than its scrap value (though without pictures, that is not certain).

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Unless you have a fully equipped shop and are retired, it is not worth restoring.

However, it may be worth selling to someone who fits the above description, as it is probably worth more than its scrap value (though without pictures, that is not certain).

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
If I haul it out of there its gonna be a weekend project. Not something im gonna try to get running asap. Just something fun for me and the kids to work on on the weekends when I have the extra money. Ill post pics ASAP.
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:26 PM

As far as I'm concerned if the body panels aren't rusted out it is definitely worth saving. Too bad the entire drive train is missing. Just know that you will never get the money back that you put into it with the original motor, tranny, and rear end missing.
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ryneves
As far as I'm concerned if the body panels aren't rusted out it is definitely worth saving. Too bad the entire drive train is missing. Just know that you will never get the money back that you put into it with the original motor, tranny, and rear end missing.
All the panels as far as I can tell are in pretty good shape since they were stored inside the car. I am going to look around the place and see if I can find the original drive train. Maybe ill get lucky and find them in a barn or something. Im not looking to make money from it. Just something fun to work on. Even if I have to build my own drive train.
Old March 24th, 2016, 09:04 PM

By all means, get it and enjoy it. If someone offered me a free 442 I'd be all over it lol. Even though I have no room for it. You'll be able to get all the parts and knowledge from this site. These guys are the best.
Old March 24th, 2016, 09:14 PM

Where are you located?
Old March 24th, 2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by orange442
Where are you located?
Northwest Indiana.
Old March 24th, 2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ryneves
By all means, get it and enjoy it. If someone offered me a free 442 I'd be all over it lol. Even though I have no room for it. You'll be able to get all the parts and knowledge from this site. These guys are the best.
I'm looking forward to a fun rebuild. Thanks for your input!
Old March 24th, 2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chiller449
Northwest Indiana.
I ask because I have a complete 69 442 400 engine and 400 trans.
Old March 24th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Maybe ill get lucky and find them in a barn or something.
Maybe you won't.

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:26 AM

Hopefully you do find it! If not you already got an engine and tranny located. Good luck and welcome to the site
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:36 AM

And post some damn pics!
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:48 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

As long as all the metal is in good shape....dash, firewall, frame, floors, trunk floor, roof skin etc...you way ahead and IMO. Yes its worth rescuing if all the above is solid. The outer skin sheet metal is available used and some is being reproduced. Its a good foundation to start with. Grab it and start building. Were here to help put another one back on the road and prevent it from melting back to its base elements.
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Still no pictures, and I am reserving judgement until we see some.

"Found in woods" generally does not bode well.

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Pics will be posted today. Im heading out there around 5ish my time to get pics. It isint pretty. Obviously since its been sitting under a tarp for 15+ years. Ill get the best pictures I can get for you guys though.

Also The vin is completely unreadable on the dash. Where else can I find it??? Really I just need the last 6 digits. I figured out the rest using the body tag.

Last edited by Chiller449; March 25th, 2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:21 PM

Here are the pics!!!
I also took some pics of the other cars there for your viewing pleasure. A couple old wagons, An old blazer, Not sure what the white car is but its an old convertible muscle car (obviously too far gone to restore.), A volvo on its back, an old tractor, a really old chevy truck and an old chevy stepside van. There are more old cars out there. I just didnt have time to take pics!! Hope the pics of the 442 will help. I didnt want to take the tarp off completely as its old and rips easily and i dont have another tarp to put on it currently. Also there is an old hoosier drag slick sitting behind the 442. Not sure what it went to but its there.
The only rust I can see is on the rear fender. Everything else is just dirty and has slight surface rust. And all glass is intact.

There is alot of pics

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This looks like a pretty big hole (bottom Left):

Most of it is there, and some of it is together, but be aware that that car is going to be a LOT of work (not to mention money).

Anything is possible, but for most people, this car would be what we call a "Bad Idea."

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:54 PM

This looks like a pretty big hole (bottom Left):

Most of it is there, and some of it is together, but be aware that that car is going to be a LOT of work (not to mention money).

Anything is possible, but for most people, this car would be what we call a "Bad Idea."

- Eric
Thats where the heater fan went. Its laying down there on the ground. and whoever took it off wasnt gentle. looks more like they ripped it off. Im just getting opinions on what to do with it. Maybe ill just sell the parts?? Not sure. Im gonna look around for more parts. And maybe find the vin somewhere.
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Maybe ill just sell the parts??
I can confidently tell you that there are almost no parts there that are worth the time you would need to spend in order to sell them.
There are a few, but not very many.

The right buyer would give you a few bucks for that, but it is a TOTAL restoration, and without a title, your market is limited.

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:27 PM

I can confidently tell you that there are almost no parts there that are worth the time you would need to spend in order to sell them.

The right buyer would give you a few bucks for that, but it is a TOTAL restoration, and without a title, your market is limited.

- Eric
Im gonna think about it. Maybe ill take everything out of it to get a better look at it. And pull the tarp off completely before I make a final decision. Also, do you know of any other place where I can find the vin? Specifically the last 6 digits? I believe its the sequence numbers. I have all the rest. If I can get the entire vin I can get the title for it.
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why is it that you can't read the VIN at the dashboard? Has it been damaged or removed?

There are several confidential VINs in other places, but the only one that I know of is on the top of the frame rail by the driver's door, and you're not going to be able to read that.

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Administrator

- Eric
That is a car for someone that has more money than brains. If you do not have lots of cash for parts and the experience to tackle a HUGE project then walk away. You'll be setting yourself up for a major disappointment.

None of those cars on that property are easily restored.
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That is a car for someone that has more money than brains. If you do not have lots of cash for parts and the experience to tackle a HUGE project then walk away. You'll be setting yourself up for a major disappointment.

None of those cars on that property are easily restored.
Thanks for your input!! Does anyone know what the white car is? Just curious.
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Does anyone know what the white car is?
1968 Chevelle SS 396.

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Administrator

1968 Chevelle SS 396.

- Eric
And if you were looking for pain in a basket case resto, that would be the one to restore. Not the 442.
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:11 PM

1968 Chevelle SS 396.

- Eric
Wow. to bad the old man didnt put a tarp on that one too. Well Im not sure what to do with the 442. If I can get the vin I might take it but if not ill take the parts and give em to anyone on here that might need em

BTW the Chevelle unfortunately is about 80 percent gone and turned into dirt. In another couple years there will hardly be anything left. Sadly this one will die in the grass. The blazer on the other hand is in alot better condition. I might also take it if i can get the vin number.
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:19 PM

My comment is short. "Fun to look at. Not fun to restore". ~BOB
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:06 PM

Looks like part out cars to me. What i can see of the Olds and the SS dash pads, im not seeing cracks. Instrument panels, the SS has a his and hers shifter in it, bucket seats, possibly some good parts. The Olds is a floor shift car, i cant tell if auto or standard, but one pic almost looks like a clutch pedal pad near the floor? If so someone would buy whats left of the 4 speed components if their in good shape. 69 trim? grills? I say inventory whats there put it up for sale here. The Olds does have the frame bracket for the Z bar.
Good luck

Last edited by steverw; March 25th, 2016 at 07:09 PM. Reason: more
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:21 PM

From the pictures the 442 is a manual steering, manual drum brake, stick shift car. (you can see the clutch bell crank pivot plate on the frame) But, as others have stated it is a hole with almost no bottom. It will never be a numbers matching car so that makes the final value lower than a numbers car. But, it costs the same to restore.

The blazer has factory AC that is kind of cool. There is a following for them as well.

But, you are looking at huge expense and work and more than likely not a return on your dollar that is good.

All parts vehicles at best.

It is sad someone did that.
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Hookers under Hood

If it were a car that's been in the family for ever, that had been driven in and enjoyed by all in family, then but only then would I even consider making it a father son project. As others mentioned you would need to get the farm along with the car to finance the build. Patience well, I don't think you can buy that yet
Good luck on your decisions, welcome to CO.

Eric
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

To consider restoring this car, it would have to be a 4-speed W30 and have the driveline available. Sad.
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:09 PM

Posi's bring at least $500.00, that's what I would check for.
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
Looks like part out cars to me. What i can see of the Olds and the SS dash pads, im not seeing cracks. Instrument panels, the SS has a his and hers shifter in it, bucket seats, possibly some good parts. The Olds is a floor shift car, i cant tell if auto or standard, but one pic almost looks like a clutch pedal pad near the floor? If so someone would buy whats left of the 4 speed components if their in good shape. 69 trim? grills? I say inventory whats there put it up for sale here. The Olds does have the frame bracket for the Z bar.
Good luck
The olds is indeed a 4 speed. I will check the barns and the semi trailers and that box truck for the drivetrain. maybe ill get lucky. If not im thinking im just going to pull everything out and take pics and ill sell em really cheap on here to anyone who wants em. Including parts off of the ss. (whats left of it.) Im thinking about keeping the Blazer.
Thanks for your input

Last edited by Chiller449; March 25th, 2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:37 PM

In the next few weeks I will scour the place trying to find parts. I will also remove everything out of the 442 for better pics. If you guys want pictures of anything specific in the 442 the ss or the blazer or anything on the farm for that matter just let me know. Im happy to post pics!!! also if your interested in something make me an offer. Everything was free to me!!!

I might be taking the Blazer. As its is all there and everything is numbers matching. Obviously it needs 100% resto but I think of the 3 its the best choice. Lots of good parts on the other 2 though!!
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:00 PM

Take the flatbed 41-46 chevy truck

I might be taking the Blazer. As its is all there and everything is numbers matching. Obviously it needs 100% resto but I think of the 3 its the best choice. Lots of good parts on the other 2 though!![/QUOTE]
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:06 PM

Sorry I fat-thumbed the post reply button. I was gonna say take the flat bed 41-46 Chevy. Its the most solid and complete thing there. Great for small rural town parades, restored easily as parts are widely available.
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Sorry I fat-thumbed the post reply button. I was gonna say take the flat bed 41-46 Chevy. Its the most solid and complete thing there. Great for small rural town parades, restored easily as parts are widely available.
You like that old truck huh? It looks complete also except for the hood. I'm not sure where it is. I can take more pics for you if u want. How would I get a title for it? Does it have a vin? There is also an old car like this there that I didn't take pics of. It's in far worse condition though. I can take pics of that too if interested.
Old March 26th, 2016, 12:51 AM

I like old trucks but am full up on projects. Plus I don't buy anything without a currently valid clear title. Neither should you.

Some good things about old trucks, if they were farm trucks they usually have low miles. The sheet metal is thick enough to work the dents out of and it takes rust a long time to eat it up. The running parts are heavy duty and not subject to breaking or wearing out quick. Done right they can be very cool. On that Chevy, if its a 1-ton the cab will be the same as a pickup and likely so will the hood. The engine is most probably the 216 cid of which Chevy made millions for trucks and for cars so no shortage there and a newer 235 six cyl is a drop in with just a little work. The glass is all flat so no problem finding it like some curved glass vehicles and if you want it short for driving around town its easy to cut both the frame and bed behind the wheels or if you want a really short wheelbase its easy enough to section the frame, shorten driveshaft etc. and keep the proportions right.

Most back then did not have a VIN. The truck titles/registrations usually used the number on the engine on the passenger side on a milled flat near the distributor if I remember correctly. after about 1951 or 53 there was a stamped number of a plate in the door jamb on drivers side. If the engine was changed out things got confusing. Whatever you do, car or truck, I'd never purchase one without a clear title in the name of the seller and bill of sale that the state you live in will accept. I've learned that the hard way over a couple of dozen hot rods I've built in the last 40 years. Once you buy one without a clear title the seller has lost all incentive to look for that "lost title" or help you obtain a clear title etc. Its all your problem and in some states even the junkyards can't/won't take them without a title.

Where I live in the State of Washington you can apply for a lost title but it can be up to a two year process with no guarantee particularly if you don't have an old registration or the vin or a if its a pre-vin year vehicle, a metal tag with some distinguishing number the manufacturer used to identify individual vehicles. The laws vary a lot from State to State but no State has an obligation to issue you a title in your name when you don't bring them a valid, signed title in the seller's name.
Jerry
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:45 AM

vin location

Isn't there a vin tag on drivers side inner door jam ? Little silver tag with 2 rivets.

Quick Reply: 442 Found In woods. Worth Restoring???