Stranger needs advice

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Question Stranger needs advice

Hi guys
I'm a stranger to you all here and at the risk of appearing to be an interloper, I need to ask for advice and information.

Many years ago (early 1980's) I owned a 67 Cutlass conv. and worked as an auto mechanic at an Olds dealership. The car was nice and ran good but had about 150k miles on it. One of the perks of working there was that we could buy parts for cost. Occasionally GM would send out flyers listing parts that they wanted to clear out of the warehouse. One of the flyers listed what was described as a "330cu.in. fitted block". The parts guys nor any of the other mechanics could say with any certainty what was include with a "fitted block" but speculated that it might include the block, crank and pistons. The price was right so I bought it even though my car ran ok thinking if I ever needed it, I'd have it. The only thing printed on the box is 393966 which I assume is the part # and 216lbs..

Not long after this, I gave up wrenching due to health problems, sold the car not long after that. I put the unopened "fitted block" in my shed and there it has rested for the last 25 yrs.. I never opened the box figuring that GM packed it for long term storage and I'd just leave it alone.

OK, thats the story behind the engine block. The last few years, I've been trying to downsize and clear out things I've collected over the years that I don't need. Here are my questions.

1) Does anyone know what was included in what GM called a "fitted block"?

2) I know that 330's are not all that popular. Is there a market for this part?

3) Anybody know what a fair value would be?

4) Anybody have an opinion what would be the best way to find a buyer? E-bay? Classified ads? Car shows?

Any info and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Lancer; September 11th, 2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typos corrected
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
car guy

By the weight it sounds like a short block. Even though its NOS since sitting for 25 years I would only consider it a very nice core to go through. Since its only a 330 I would think 500.00-750.00 would be a fair price "IF" you can find someone that wants to put a 330 back in a car. Good luck

Richard
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM

I think Gearhead hit the nail on the head. It is probably in decent condition; however, I wouldn't run it without at least putting new rings in it and honing the cylinders.
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Registered

I would think a diehard Olds collector would buy that and never put it in a car, and never open it either. It would just sit in a huge collection with all the other treasures to show off to friends, what else do you buy when you have everything ? If I had it I would put it on e bay, the more exposure the better, they're about the only game in town, good or bad. Evilbay is good when there is no real way to determine the price from past sales or auctions. You don't see things like this everyday to say the least and it is worth what gearheads said IMO, and you can always put a reserve on it if to be safe. That way the market sets the price and you won't feel like you sold it for too little, or always wondering what it would have sold for there. With things like this you never know what's going to happen.

Allan
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Thank you all for the excellent info and advice. Back in the day, when I was heavy into 60's Olds's there was no resource like this forum, coming by info could very difficult at times. I appreciate you guys for being so generous with your time and knowledge, Thank you very much.

If I am able to sell this block, does this board take donations? I would be happy to make a donation.

BTW, I found my original reciept for the block. It was dated 12/27/82 and I paid $185 +tx.

Last edited by Lancer; September 14th, 2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lancer
Hi guys
I'm a stranger to you all here and at the risk of appearing to be an interloper, I need to ask for advice and information.
I am sure everyone would agree that if you are a oldsmobile fan you are no stranger here.
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Registered

You're welcome Lancer, I think it is safe to say that most here are glad to help when they can and don't expect a lot but a simple thanks if that much.Take any advice with a grain of salt, you get what you pay for and this site is free, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure about putting that block on evilbay though, but whatever suits you best and your comfortable with is the best choice.
Now that the date range is nailed down thanks to Oldsfan that basically is a NOS (new old stock) '66 short block, cool. I wonder if they packed them in cosmolene? I did some work long ago to a shop at an import dealer where they cleaned that stuff off of Porsches that just came off the boat.

Being a mechanic at an Olds dealership and into Oldsmobiles "Back in the day" you were an Olds fan long before most here. I hope you can stick around so we can learn some things or just shoot the breeze, check the endless growing up in the 60's thread. You probably could answer a lot of questions not many people could, and tell a few stories too.

Allan