Newbie needs advice

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM

Newbie needs advice

Hi!
I live in Sweden, and will be looking at a 1968 Cutlass 2dr Coupe (I believe that is the correct name for this particular model) with the intent of buying it this weekend.

I´ve had quite a few classic American cars over the years, several Mustangs, a couple of Corvettes, a couple of Camaros and a Trans Am and so on. I´ve had an 1980´s Olds Cutlass Supreme (the one with the funky looking tail! ), but I wouldn´t describe that as a "classic" Olds (although it was a nice daily driver).

Is there anything special that I should be looking out for when looking at a 1968 Cutlass? And I´m not talking about the more general things that would apply if I was looking at a Chevy or Ford of similar age, but more in the line of brand or model specific things that might be costly/hard to fix/replace?

Anders Olsson
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Swede
Hi!
I live in Sweden, and will be looking at a 1968 Cutlass 2dr Coupe (I believe that is the correct name for this particular model) with the intent of buying it this weekend.

I´ve had quite a few classic American cars over the years, several Mustangs, a couple of Corvettes, a couple of Camaros and a Trans Am and so on. I´ve had an 1980´s Olds Cutlass Supreme (the one with the funky looking tail! ), but I wouldn´t describe that as a "classic" Olds (although it was a nice daily driver).

Is there anything special that I should be looking out for when looking at a 1968 Cutlass? And I´m not talking about the more general things that would apply if I was looking at a Chevy or Ford of similar age, but more in the line of brand or model specific things that might be costly/hard to fix/replace?

Anders Olsson
I cannot help with "specifically" that model/year car as what is known issues. But reading your posts, sounds to me like you have a handle on over mechanical condition of the car. Good Luck! Kevin
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:28 PM

Check the areas around the front and rear window very closely. Also, the normal trunk and floor pan stuff. I love the 68s, but keep in mind a LOT more parts, especially sheet metal, are available for the 70-72 models.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:28 AM
Past Administrator

Anders,
Welcome to our site. Check the inside of the trunk, the rear window channel was prone to leaking and the best way to determine if the car you are considering ever had this trouble is to look at the rear quarter panel wells for evidence to rust/water collection. Also. lood for rust stains on the underside of the rear sail panel and undersides of the fenders in the trunk. Good luck.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks guys!
Will be looking at the car on sunday. If all is well with it, and we can agree on the price, I might be the proud owner of a Classic Olds by sunday afternoon.

I´ll be looking at the areas you mention. As far as my mechanical knowledge goes, it´s actually not that great. But I have owned a lot of old US cars, so hopefully I should be able to tell if it´s worth buying or not. I´ll have a friend with me when I go to look at the car. He´s more experienced and a much better mechanic than I am, which is good. Another good thing about bringing a buddy when looking at cars is that I have a slight tendencie to get enthusiastic, and it´s allways a good thing to have someone to point out the not so great parts.

Anyway, thanks, I´ll be reporting back to you if I end up buying the car.

Anders Olsson
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Smile pics!

if you buy it post some pics of it! i was going to get that car- but i like the 69 better...anyway, thats cool u live in sweden and fun!!
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Hmm..., I´m slightly embarassed, but I didn´t buy no Cutlass. Instead, I bought a 1965 Pontiac Lemans 2dr HT today. It´s not entirely my fault though, the guy with the Cutlass called and told me that the car had been sold, and then I saw an ad for the Lemans, which was located just half an hours drive away.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions, have fun with your Oldsmobiles, at least we´re in the same (GM) family!

Anders Olsson
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Hmm..., I´m slightly embarassed, but I didn´t buy no Cutlass. Instead, I bought a 1965 Pontiac Lemans 2dr HT today. It´s not entirely my fault though, the guy with the Cutlass called and told me that the car had been sold, and then I saw an ad for the Lemans, which was located just half an hours drive away.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions, have fun with your Oldsmobiles, at least we´re in the same (GM) family!

Anders Olsson
Well, post a pix of it anyway. LeMans was a top end (big car) as I recall. Congrats!
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Nah, it´s the same body as the 1965 GTO, so it´s not a big car (I believe built on the same chassis as the 1965 Olds Cutlass and Chevy Chevelle?).

Needs paint, but that´s all it needs, except for assembly of interior and trim (which is included with the car, most of it new stuff).

And thanks, I feel very happy about the purchase.

Anders Olsson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MinLemans.jpg (50.3 KB, 9 views)
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM

You sure thats not a 64? Stacked headlights, rear end looks like a 65....
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM

Stacked headlight didn´t appear until 65 on the Tempest/Lemans, they were side by side before that. So yes, I´m pretty sure it´s a 65.

Anders Olsson
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Stacked headlight didn´t appear until 65 on the Tempest/Lemans, they were side by side before that. So yes, I´m pretty sure it´s a 65.

Anders Olsson
I know GTO were stacked till 65(?)
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:59 AM

I´m not sure exactly what you meen. The Tempest line (including the Lemans and GTO) did not get stacked (one on top of the other) headlights until 1965 as far as I know. The headlights were side by side up til and including 1964. I believe the larger Pontiacs had stacked headlights earlier, but I´m not 100% sure about that either.

Regards!
Anders Olsson