When the Mrs. doesn't Like the Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM

When the Mrs. doesn't Like the Oldsmobile

So, I was wondering. Does anyone ever have problems with their better half or girlfriend because they give "too much attention" to the Oldsmobile?

It seems like I made a fatal error. In planning our anniversary trip, I made the assumption that my wife would like to look at a 71 Delta 88 near Dallas, TX. I figured, what the heck. It is in decent shape, it doesn't run, but maybe I could get it started with a little work. Who wouldn't want to go look at a 71 Delta 88? Especially since it is a coupe!

Apparently, my wife doesn't want to go look at a 71 Delta 88 Coupe on our anniversary trip. Who would have thought? Well, I am still trying to win the wife over, but chances are I might not see this Oldsmobile. Oh well... Maybe I could get lost when going to the Dallas Zoo and end up convieniently near this Oldsmobile.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM

I can get away with most anything within reason, but messing with the anniversay is not good. You are supposed to be romantic and pay all of your attention to the other half. Took me the better part of 41 years to figure that one out.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gotta go with citcapp on this one. Unless your Mrs. gets down and dirty in the garage with ya to change oil, brakes, do tune ups, suspensions etc YOU were a little too focused on the wrong "her".
I suggest you do something special (like buy her a new set of tools, golf club, or a floor polisher) to let her know that anniversaries are special!!!
He he he, you're in deep s*&# Jesse !
Hmmmm, maybe get her a weekend at the spa while you tool up and look at the coupe????
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Yeah I gotta admit that's pretty bad.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM

I am the worlds luckiest man! On our driving vacations, as long as I stop at every antique shop along the way, she doesnt care how many cars or old salvage yards I stop at.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM

I'd give ya some advice, but I'm divorced, twice! So it might not help.

Don
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Geezer

About 95% of wives and girlfriends consider the old car or street rod you cherish in the same light as if you were sneaking out to the garage to make love to another woman. Solution, can the current wife or girlfriend and look in earnest for one of those gals in the 5% that will hand you wrenches while your under the car.
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Hey, "If it's not on the Menu, go to another cafe."

Seriously, I never met a woman I couldn't tick off.

Ok more seriously, In my vast experience of doing stupid things, Woman like to have attention, Trying to "win her over" is like trying to push a rope. It ain't a gonna work. Put the car on hold for the "special day." What she really wants is for you to pay her some attention and make her feel special. Bite the bullet and you will be rewarded in the long haul.

Getting "lost" and looking at he Delta is BAD JUJU, she ain't stupid. It's probably a POS bondo bucket, that leaks oil like Exxon Valdese. [ now say the above sentence like your Mantra a few thousand times]
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:37 AM

POS bondo bucket, that leaks oil like Exxon Valdese

Well, I am not in hot water anymore. Thanks for all the advice. Really, my wife is very understanding, she just wants me to do the right thing. She really likes the 64 98 and would rather see that car run again than me buy another Olds.
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Past Administrator

[QUOTE=Jamesbo;38721... Trying to "win her over" is like trying to push a rope. It ain't a gonna work....[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha, I like that!
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Olds64,
You'll probably get a lot of replies to this one because a lot of us have been there and done that! Sounds like you already have a handle on things but here's my story/advice: Take care of Momma and she'll take care of you. I recently purchased another toy that I didn't need after breaking the news to Momma while wining (not whining) and dining. Later that year I told her we needed to talk. Worried as she was about another car purchase, I asked her if it was time for a new kitchen. Well, you know the answer to that. A bit expensive, but we're both happy now.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Add the old one

Add the old one if momma aint happy no one is happy.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM

I think your looking at the wrong car, try this one.

Convertibles are "chick magnets" and cheeper than a new kitchen.

Who needs a kitchen, I just heat up my chili on an exhaust manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
delta 88.jpg (10.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg
delta 88 convertible.jpg (93.9 KB, 25 views)
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
I'd give ya some advice, but I'm divorced, twice! So it might not help.

Don
I was going to say EXACTLY the same thing.

In my case, third time is definitely the charm. In addition, my wife has her own expensive hobby (horses) which means 1) we have a farm with lots of room for cars... er, HORSES, 2) she never says a word about how much I spend on cars (it still pales in comparison), and 3) anything I buy to fix up my truck is so we can pull her horse trailer.
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM

I just heat up my chili on an exhaust manifold.
Mmm... chili and hydrocarbons!
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Mmm... chili and hydrocarbons!
The W or the Z work fine.

You mean you don't have "Manifold Destiny" The one and only guide to cooking on your car engine in your library.

Shame on you check it out at Amazon. They also have "The Origional Road Kill Cookbook" for the bolder chefs.
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Im 22 years old and I have got rid of two girlfriends because they coldnt deal with the time I put in to my car. I just figured I would give up trying untill I actually get the car driveable.
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM

^^ More money to spend on the car

My ex-wife put in the allumet (sp) paper work that I spent too much money on the car and not enough on her. She bitched about me spending $300 on my car, instead of her spending the money plus more on weed and booze

I guess she was right, my car really didn't need to be inspected and those new brakes where a complete waste
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
^^ More money to spend on the car

My ex-wife put in the allumet (sp) paper work that I spent too much money on the car and not enough on her. She bitched about me spending $300 on my car, instead of her spending the money plus more on weed and booze
Grand Pa used to say, "If it flies, floats or fornicates [not his exact word]...................it's much cheaper to rent it by the hour."

I wish I had listened,
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
car guy

Been there married that, got rid of cars to make happy, still not happy, divorced that, got cars back, got new wife explained cars will be here to stay, new wife knows her place
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Hey guys very happy with the one I got this time #4 She is interested in classics & started our web site ,she does research on the cars & trucks we locate for prices parts (ect) but when it comes to the shop I would rather her stay out takes too much time to explane why I am doing what I am doing .Been self employed for the last 35+ yr trained enough kids & don't want to train someone at 60 how not to bust your knuckles.as I still haven't learned & most of the time I tell my self this is going to hurt. IT does but I don't whine.I just keep her on the computer locating classics & working on the site. Ps she oes like to mow the property 5 acres + just keep her mowers maintained Turn Key Larry Henry vintageozarks.com
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Momma asked me over dinner tonight if I planned to start painting our office on sunday. I replied NO I was going to show my Delmont in the PRE-NIGHT OUT car show. She said and I quote "OK I'll do something else and we'll start it on monday, have a nice day" GOD DO I LOVE THAT WOMAN!!!
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Senior Moment Member

Once when I was backing out my 69 W30 from the garage my wife asked me who the other woman was. She said "Is it Goldie?" My car was gold with a black roof. I said "What?" She said she meant the car. We both laughed. Everone likes a fast car. Even our wives although sometimes they don't want to admit it.
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:23 AM

luckily my girlfriend will crawl right under the olds right next to me to help with whatever i happen to be at any particular time. BUT, she does not like the sweet talking involved with getting an old car to see things my way..............
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Well, the wife did let me see an Oldsmobile this weekend. Too bad it had a Chevy engine! Oh well... it was a POS anyways. Guess I will continue to work on my 64.
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:10 AM
car nut farmer

My mrs. likes my cutlass, just wishes I had the A/C fixed.
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Tell her you have 2 60 AC. 2 windows down at 60 mph.
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:52 PM

HAHA!! I am the Mrs....so to speak... It's his baby, but OUR project, as I'm helping. I wouldn't have it any other way. Part of showing your S/O you care is showing interest in what interests him/her. You don't have to necessarily help, just be supportive. Besides, I like getting under the hood and doing stuff (except for digging dirt and grease out from under my nails). LOL
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Past Administrator

Angee, good attitude and it goes both ways. You two will no doubt do fine with that mutual respect.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Cool!
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Oldsmogals, could not find any finer partners
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
69CuttyS

FATRATMATT was right. Make sure you are doing lots of other stuff, and youy can easily look at a car.
Speaking of honeymoons, I was able to hook up with some buddies and take in a football game at Beaver Stadium in State College. The trick is to make sure that the honeymoon activities are seen to be the focus. A small football game here or a small car-look there doesn't matter!
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by Olds64
Tell her you have 2 60 AC. 2 windows down at 60 miles per hour.

That works on my son.
Old October 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by FATRATMATT
I am the worlds luckiest man! On our driving vacations, as long as I stop at every antique shop along the way, she doesnt care how many cars or old salvage yards I stop at.

Can relate to that --why we have so many ancient / art deco vases at home ,all gathering dust --
Still much better at the antique shops than visiting long lost and uninteresting ,somewhat remote relatives , that hitherto you didn`t know existed.