350 doesn't like wide open throttle

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM

350 doesn't like wide open throttle

Well i am still having problems with the 350 I swapped in. For those that don't know about my engine it's a 1972 7a headed 350. It has an Edelbrock Performer 350 intake. It runs a non-ccc Quadrajet carb. It has Competition Cams roller tipped rockers and the guy I bought the engine from thinks it has a cam in it. It falls on it's face if I put the pedal to the floor. I put new intake gaskets on it and it helped with the vacuum leak. I think I fixed it anyway. It will now kick in the secondaries. But I can't romp on it all the way. If I keep my foot slightly off the floor it will accelerate nicely. But I can't floor it. At this point I have no idea if it's to much or to little fuel or something else entirely. Now it hauls *** on the highway in OD at around 1500-2500rpm. It really goes like hell. But not foot flat on the floor. HELP. I really want this car to run perfect. And it does unless I go flat to the floor.
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Are your secondaries hanging up on your gasket?
also, you should add a regulator so you can adjust your fuel pressure.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)

I don't think they are hanging up. I am running a regulator. But It pretty much only get 4 psi. I think the regulator is only supposed to go that high according to Holley's website. But wouldn't 4 psi still be enough?
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Well i am still having problems with the 350 I swapped in. For those that don't know about my engine it's a 1972 7a headed 350. It has an Edelbrock Performer 350 intake. It runs a non-ccc Quadrajet carb. It has Competition Cams roller tipped rockers and the guy I bought the engine from thinks it has a cam in it. It falls on it's face if I put the pedal to the floor. I put new intake gaskets on it and it helped with the vacuum leak. I think I fixed it anyway. It will now kick in the secondaries. But I can't romp on it all the way. If I keep my foot slightly off the floor it will accelerate nicely. But I can't floor it. At this point I have no idea if it's to much or to little fuel or something else entirely. Now it hauls *** on the highway in OD at around 1500-2500rpm. It really goes like hell. But not foot flat on the floor. HELP. I really want this car to run perfect. And it does unless I go flat to the floor.
If you gently continue to give it gas, does the engine eventually get to W.O.T? If so, you may either have an accelerator pump problem or the secondary air valves are opening too quickly, causing a massive bog. The latter problem can be caused either by misadjustment of the air valve wrap spring or a bad vacuum diaphragm.
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
ROCKETeer

damn my post got deleted. it was only a joke.
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:26 PM

Sounds like it's starving for fuel

Mine did this when it got too hot outside
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Just the facts...

if you have enough fuel volume, 4 p.s.i. is enough.

bill
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
71 cutlass convertible

A friend pinched a fuel line when he put an engine in. Did not see and drove him nuts.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM

Ok here's what I did today. My wife and I switched her fuel pressure regulator and pressure gauge to my car and vice versa. Well her car always hit 6psi and stayed there. Now once we got done my car was reading 4-6psi most times hitting 6 psi consistantly only to flutter once and awhile. Now with my stuff on her car it still hit 6psi and stayed there. I have no idea what to make of all that. All we did was switch regulators and pressure gauges. hers stayed the same and mine went form staying at 4 psi to now staying mostly at 6 psi. BTW we both use the same electric fuel pumps. Now I also noticed that the vacuum hose that goes from the carb to that vacuum canister thing on the side of the carb felt colapsed. So I found a thicker walled piese of tubing and replaced it. But after all this no real improvement. It still doesn't like wide open throttle. When I put foot flat to the floor it falls on it's face and flutters.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I also checked to see that the secondaries open easy ande they do.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM
scubastever

not sure if youre running HEI or not, but take a look at your distributor advance weights, and if youre running points, set up your dwell ..

Old December 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you gently continue to give it gas, does the engine eventually get to W.O.T? If so, you may either have an accelerator pump problem or the secondary air valves are opening too quickly, causing a massive bog. The latter problem can be caused either by misadjustment of the air valve wrap spring or a bad vacuum diaphragm.
It will never get to WOT but the power does build the more I push the throttle to a certain point then it bogs and flutters. I think adjusting the air valve spring is what needs to be done. But I am to chicken to undertake that as I am scared I will seriously screw it up.
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by scubastever
not sure if youre running HEI or not, but take a look at your distributor advance weights, and if youre running points, set up your dwell ..
Yes I am running HEI. The distributor may need some work but the car runs great unless I want to romp on it.