Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Swapping out a 394

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2020, 04:48 PM
Rocket Renegade!

As is so often the case, Joe's last post is the best one in here and should probably be the last word for Darren when it comes to considering this project.
Old May 29th, 2020, 07:23 PM

Darren there is a complete running 394 on craigslist , northwest ct .Asking $1500 ,trans available
Old May 29th, 2020, 08:26 PM

Would this work

Here is the link https://nwct.craigslist.org/pts/d/la...122569447.html

does anyone know if this will work for me?
Old May 29th, 2020, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DarrenOlds

Yes
Old May 29th, 2020, 09:45 PM

Because I play the semantics game; yes, meaning someone will know or yes meaning it will suffice? Thanks for the clarification (my dad did a number on me with the semantics).
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:28 PM
Phantom Phixer

Yes , it will . But ,, you will have to use the '59 flywheel , lower starter housing and starter .
Custom exhaust pipes may need to be fabricated by a local muffler shop .

At the first opportunity , get rid of that Edelbrock carb , Replace it with a proper Rochester 4 GC carb .
This way , you can hook up the throttle linkage properly .

$1500 is a lot of money for a used engine . I would try to talk him down to half of that or less .
He's not going to sell it for that price .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; May 30th, 2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:59 PM

There has been a couple 394's listed in the Parts for Sale section for a while. They were asking for less money.
Old May 30th, 2020, 01:47 PM

The 394 I posted is not mine. It is close to him ,complete and trans available. Most times close and complete more than makes up for a lower price. I also believe there is a limited market for a 394. Probable can be bought for less Good luck Darren
Old May 30th, 2020, 02:05 PM

Darren all the locks on that car should take the same key. Easiest cylinder to remove is the glove box. A real locksmith can make a key for it . That should work the doors, trunk, and ignition
Old June 1st, 2020, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
At the first opportunity , get rid of that Edelbrock carb , Replace it with a proper Rochester 4 GC carb .
This way , you can hook up the throttle linkage properly .
x2

I had an Edelbrock carburetor on my 64 98 briefly. The idle was spectacular, but Oldsguy and I were never able to get the manual TV to work correctly.
Old June 5th, 2020, 06:44 AM

Car has arrived - comb through 80 percent done

Joe P is correct. I picked a bad “starter” car, and parts and support are nearly non existent. I am undeterred, but it will take some fabrication. I know I am on an engine thread, so I will stick to the subject here and post the rest of the journey on another thread.

The good is the body (except for the Rusted out rear quarter panels and a few holes here or there), and miraculously the frame looks to be strong.

The bad is everything else.

With so much work to be done we are kicking the can a bit down the road on the engine. However, we did find the Heads in the trunk after removing the back seat to peer inside (The trunk won’t open for now)!

Joe is indeed right. If I was to restore to the original it would take about 5 years to find all the parts. I am not going to do that. Also, from what I read I do not trust my family with that brake system (yes, I know it is an unsafe car to begin with).

I know it is going to require a bit of fabrication, and unfortunately due to lack of parts that will be a necessity.

I am still going over the car, which has 14,000 miles on it but has been sitting since 1966. But the first order after cleaning is to do the brakes. One step at a time.

Thank you all for the BIG dose of reality, but I am undeterred. I WILL get this on the road, but it looks like it will be a far cry from all original.

I really value all your opinions, and I hope I can lean on you for support. I will post the pictures in another thread, and I will also be documenting the journey in a series on YouTube.

When I have engine news I will let you know.

A sincere and heartfelt thanks to everyone here.

Best,

Darren
Old June 5th, 2020, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thank you all for the BIG dose of reality, but I am undeterred.
Darren
That was the whole point. Just be sure you have all the facts and make an informed decision. This isn't going to be a quick or easy or cheap project, and the lack of apparent progress can cause burnout once the car is torn down.
Old June 5th, 2020, 08:52 AM
Rocket Renegade!

But having said all that, now that you're going in with your eyes open, best of luck! Your strategy is a good one: take small bites and concentrate on one area at a time.
Old June 5th, 2020, 05:21 PM

But don't fall in love with something that can't love you back. Get rid of it if it looks like you can't finish or it or becomes a load on the family.. Try and do what you can as quick as you can so the son feels like your making progress. Sometimes the repair on visual stuff will help make the project look better and closer to being finished even though you will have to work around new primer and shiney chrome and such Enthusiasm is as important as new parts keep em interested and if he is so inclined make it a fun history lesson, the more he knows about his car the more fun it will become and the more he can share with his friends... Just a few thoughts.... Beeen there done that.... Tedd
Old September 3rd, 2021, 07:00 PM

Regarding my 1959 Oldsmobile Super 88

Well, the project is in mid form, and we kicked the engine question down the road concentrating on fixing the metal and remediating the rust. That part has been done, and it now sits in primer waiting for paint. All rust outs are fixed. I cut the metal and patchworked the inside, while a true professional took care of the quarter panels. It looks fairly good.

The non working engine and transmission is out of the car. I was thinking about another engine my friend has, but I came across an Oldsmobile 88. I wanted to see if I could transplant the driveline from the Oldsmobile 88 (which has the 371 2 barrel carb) and stick it in the Super 88 (which originally came with a 394 and four barrel carb) with little effort.

Will it bolt right up?
Old September 3rd, 2021, 07:55 PM
Phantom Phixer

Yes, It will bolt right up if it is the same year.
Some throttle linkage pieces may differ though .
Old September 3rd, 2021, 08:08 PM

Yes, same year.

Will the throttle linkage pieces matter if the whole engine bay is empty? We pulled everything out of there. I would imagine as long as the engine bay is a relatively similar size we should have no problem.

Basically, we are taking everything out of the 88 engine compartment and putting it in the Super 88. Do you anticipate any other problems?
Old September 4th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Phantom Phixer

No , I think you will be OK .
Here's a breakdown of the throttle controls .
If the part number is the same , the part is the same .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; September 4th, 2021 at 08:41 AM.