Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Swapping out a 394

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2020, 12:05 PM

Swapping out a 394

Hi,

Thank you all In advance for reading and sharing thoughts. I recently purchased a project car, and it needs a lot of work. A friend of mine suggested swapping out the engine, and another has a Pontiac 350 from a ‘76 trans am and a 350 Transmission that he can swap in there as well. While I respect and appreciate people who can keep everything original, the upkeep and cost for 394 parts might be prohibitive, and the car I bought does not come with the original heads anyway. So, Not only would I have to purchase the heads, I would have to purchase a rebuild kit and find somebody who has the expertise to put this together. I’m sure this would be an enormous expense.

Has anybody done this, and would this work for a 1959 Oldsmobile super 88 four-door sedan? I’m not going to be racing anybody, and I’m not going to be competing in any car shows. The car right now is inoperable, and I’m just wondering if it would sufficiently work.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Best,

Darren
Old May 27th, 2020, 12:32 PM

Welcome Aboard, Darren. It sounds like you have a project in waiting - Great!

This particular thread is now more than seven years old. Your new project deserves a thread of it's own. Moderators, will one of you please move Darren's post to a new thread?

Darren, the C.O. community looks forward to watching and assisting with builds of all types! Don't be afraid to ask anything about which you may be unclear. And above all else, We Love Photos! Folks love to follow along on the build threads, and the more pics, the better!

Good Luck, and again, Welcome.
Old May 27th, 2020, 12:48 PM

Sounds like your mind is made up and your friends are confident it can be done. Good luck.
Old May 27th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. I moved your posts from the old thread you resurrected to its own thread. IMHO, putting the Pontiac engine into your car is not the question, its the fabbing of the parts, making the changes needed to accomplish this task, and there is a cost to do this. You also need to find out if the Pontiac engine has needs in itself, if it requires a rebuild then your not saving any money there either. If you have to buy a crate engine, theres a cost there also. So, the question is which direction is cost effective. 394 parts are available to rebuild the engine and you may find that keeping the 394 may be the most cost effective route after doing some math.
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:08 PM

Logic for the swap

I am so glad you guys are here. I'm excited and terrified at the same time!

The car is in transit from Minnesota to Long Island as we speak, and I don't know what the engine has and what shape it is in. I have never dealt with rebuilding or swapping engines myself. From what I know and can see is that it doesn't have the heads on the engine. A new left and right head with shipping would run me about $2000. The deluxe repair kit is available for about $2300 with tax. So that is about $4300 without having someone to even rebuild it yet! I have no idea about the transmission. The 350 is in good shape and so is the TH-350. Reading up I know it might take some fabrication work to have it sit right, or maybe not. Can anyone chime in on this?

So, hopefully I get the friend price and get the whole thing done at a price that is below the price for the 394. Not many people I talked to on Long Island can rebuild the 394, but perhaps I'm not talking to the right people?

Other work it needs is an ignition as the seller doesn't have the keys for it, and I know it needs a floor pan. The rest, until I get the car, is a mystery. These pictures are all I have so far. I hope you all can help me. Thanks, with much gratitude.

Darren

Old May 27th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Can this swap be done? Sure

Is it more cost effective than rebuilding or replacing the original motor? Unlikely

Don't kid yourself. The cost of the motor is the smallest part of this swap. EVERYTHING else needs to be custom fabricated, and you'll likely need to hack up the floor for the later model trans. If you don't lie to yourself about the total cost of the nickel and dime stuff that a swap entails, rebuilding the original will be less expensive and more reliable. Do a swap because you want to swap a motor. Don't do it because you think it's less expensive. A swap will never be as well engineered as what came from the factory.
Old May 27th, 2020, 03:51 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to say I am really grateful you are here. Just to give more information... I have a 1959 Oldsmobile Super 88 4 Door Sedan. Again, it is a project car that is on its way from Minnesota to my home here in Long Island, New York, and I waffle between excitement and terror. The car hasn't been operable in 30 years.

What I know is that it is missing the left and right head, has a rusty driver's side floor pan that needs to be replaced, has a cracked windshield and has no keys to the car for starters. I don't have the car yet.

From what I priced out the heads themselves would be about $2000 with shipping, the deluxe rebuild kit would be about $2300, and that is without paying for the man hours to have someone rebuild it. That is $4300 without the labor at the least. I don't know the condition some of the other parts including the block and mounts. I wouldn't do the engine without the transmission. How much would it be to fix the original transmission if I went with a rebuild of the 394?

Hopefully, my friend gives me the "friend" price to swap in the 350. I did want to check and see if the 350 engine and tranny would be sufficient to power the 1959 Super 88 Sedan. I understand I'm in a bind either way, and if I go with the 350 there will be some fabrication involved.

Apologies if I double posted. I wasn't sure this went through.

I truly value everyone's thoughts and opinions on this. Thank you BackInTheGame, Joe_Padovano, Oldcutlass, and OLDster_Ralph for your help and thoughts.
Here are some pictures of the car that is on the way.

Last edited by Olds64; June 1st, 2020 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Double pics.
Old May 27th, 2020, 05:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Completely reman heads on ebay right now for $1300, with shipping.

Complete 394 core engine WITH heads for $200 plus ~$200 shipping on ebay right now.

You can buy the rebuild parts for a lot less than $2300 if you shop for them individually.

Again, your money, your car, your call. Just don't BS yourself about cost. Ask your friend what the cost is for new engine crossmember, new trans mount, new exhaust, new shift linkage, new cooling system, new throttle linkage, new wiring,modified tunnel to clear the trans, etc, etc. If you are paying someone else to do the work, you are in for a rude awakening.
Old May 27th, 2020, 06:26 PM

Hi Joe,

Do you know anyone in Metro NY who can rebuild this aside from a restoration shop? I tried a few proper mechanics and they weren't familiar with engines that classic.

Some restoration shops will probably charge me $3000 at a minimum labor (and maybe even a diagnostic fee) - and that's me supplying the parts if they will even let me source and acquire them. A lot of the shops won't let you do that. It will be more like $6500 just for the engine alone on the low end.

The engine for sale on ebay is a 394 from 1964, is there a big difference between that and the '59 version? Also, is there a difference between a Dynamic 88 and Super 88, engine wise?

If it's just the heads, I can even save a few bucks and drive into Brooklyn to pick the heads up.

Let me know, Joe, if you have engine guys in the NY Metro area to talk to. One thing I have to consider is that perhaps the transmission and other parts have to be retooled as well. Can you tell anything from the picture I posted? I will have more pics when the car arrives.

Thanks, Joe, for your time.

Darren

Last edited by DarrenOlds; May 27th, 2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 27th, 2020, 06:36 PM

Thank you, BackInTheGame!
Old May 27th, 2020, 06:39 PM

Thank you for your insight, Eric. I think both the 350 Engine and Transmission are Good To Go, so nothing needed on that end.
Old May 27th, 2020, 06:40 PM

Darren, once you get the car I think you should crawl over it from bumper to bumper and evaluate what's there. I'm in agreement with Joe. I've sold core 394 engines and parts and they're in the hundreds of dollars not thousands. Do you want to have the engine rebuilt by a shop, or just have them do machine work and have a friend help you assemble it? Since the transmission will likely need rebuilt have you checked transmission shops for that? I don't know what your budget is and what kind of timetable your wanting to meet in getting the car rebuilt. But I'd strongly encourage you to consider what you can do with your friends and what will need farmed out. To pay someone else to work on your car will likely be more expensive than the initial estimate as shop time is charged by the hour and dealing with rusty bolts can be time consuming. Sometimes its better to spend a little more money upfront and get a car that runs and drives to restore. Have you done anything like this before? Do you have friends who've restored cars and can help you? I don't want to discourage you but these are all thoughts to consider before you get too deep into this project. John
Old May 27th, 2020, 07:07 PM

Just to follow up 2blu442's advice, what you want is a machine shop - not a mechanic or restoration shop. Any engine rebuild will require machining and any competent machine shop can assemble the engine for you, though it is best to find someone familiar with your particular engine.

However, everything you have someone else do will cost you. Just looking at that car and the shape it's in, I'd run away if you aren't planning on doing work yourself. The body work alone on that thing is going to require a significant amount of time to correct the rust issues. Time = $$$$$$. Given the condition, I'd guess absolutely everything needs replaced or rebuilt.
Old May 27th, 2020, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, 2blu442.

I have never done anything like this before, and I knew going in I will probably not be able to handle the welding that is needed on the vehicle or the engine/transmission work needed. I don't have deep pockets, but did allot cash for some things - especially over time. I think everything else I could probably do or figure out how to do. I am in no hurry with this (but I can't have it sit for several years as a lawn ornament either). Because this area is ravaged with COVID, I was hoping to have a nice project with my two boys for the summer (and I explained probably the next few years) to keep them busy.

The "friend" that I have helping out might go back to '69 as far as engines are concerned, and he does a lot of restoration work. I don't think he's done anything as far back as 1959, and from what I understand there were greater variations under the hood with all these cars than there is today (and greater variations than in the '70s, which is his sweet spot for restorations). After preliminary discussions with him he seemed to think that because parts are not readily available at the local shop for a 394 that it would be easier to drop another engine in there and it would save headaches in the future (with a bit of pain now) and make it more of a daily driver.

Again, it is hard to find someone here who is familiar with the 394 as I almost never come across a 1959 Super 88 or other cars like it. If you guys are in the know, I'm certainly open to preserving the proper Olds tech.

Thoughts? Engine builder contacts on Long Island? Leaning towards the swap but not married yet. I am just gathering info for what is right for me. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks again for your help 2blu442.
Old May 27th, 2020, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenOlds
Hi Joe,
1. Do you know anyone in Metro NY who can rebuild this aside from a restoration shop? I tried a few proper mechanics and they weren't familiar with engines that classic.

2. Some restoration shops will probably charge me $3000 at a minimum labor (and maybe even a diagnostic fee) - and that's me supplying the parts if they will even let me source and acquire them. A lot of the shops won't let you do that. It will be more like $6500 just for the engine alone on the low end.

3. The engine for sale on ebay is a 394 from 1964, is there a big difference between that and the '59 version? Also, is there a difference between a Dynamic 88 and Super 88, engine wise? If it's just the heads, I can even save a few bucks and drive into Brooklyn to pick the heads up.

4. Let me know, Joe, if you have engine guys in the NY Metro area to talk to. One thing I have to consider is that perhaps the transmission and other parts have to be retooled as well. Can you tell anything from the picture I posted? I will have more pics when the car arrives.
Thanks, Joe, for your time. Darren
From your answers, you have your mind made up as you did before.
1. The proper mechanics you refer probably don't work on anything but a Chebby.

2. You are making price estimates that may not be accurate.
3. 59-64 Olds 394's are pretty much the same. Super 88's were most likely 4 barrel carb 394. 88's could be low compression 2 barrel carb 371 or 394 or high compression 4 barrel carb 394. The heads interchange.
4. Transmission techs that can rebuild are a little harder to find.

Just to be clear, you are probably already "underwater" with purchase and shipping the car. "Bastardizing" it will not add any value whatsoever. Either way you go, it will cost money. The less you are able to do, the more it will cost. I think you are over estimating what benefit the newer engine and transmission is, and downplaying the Oldsmobile engine to justify "bastardizing"it. Good luck.
.......Just my two cents worth.

Old May 27th, 2020, 08:02 PM

Darren, having a father son project is admirable and I don't want to throw cold water on your plans. We just want to help you consider all the angles and potentially prevent you from making some of the mistakes we've made! Please read our posts with this in mind and don't hesitate to brainstorm with us as your project progresses. John
Old May 27th, 2020, 08:10 PM
Administrator

If you don't mind me asking... Why this car? Its a really rough start for someone with limited mechanical ability.
Old May 27th, 2020, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the reply, 2blu442.
A. I have never done anything like this before, and I knew going in I will probably not be able to handle the welding that is needed on the vehicle or the engine/transmission work needed. I don't have deep pockets, but did allot cash for some things - especially over time. I think everything else I could probably do or figure out how to do. I am in no hurry with this (but I can't have it sit for several years as a lawn ornament either). Because this area is ravaged with COVID, I was hoping to have a nice project with my two boys for the summer (and I explained probably the next few years) to keep them busy.

B. The "friend" that I have helping out might go back to '69 as far as engines are concerned, and he does a lot of restoration work. I don't think he's done anything as far back as 1959, and from what I understand there were greater variations under the hood with all these cars than there is today (and greater variations than in the '70s, which is his sweet spot for restorations). After preliminary discussions with him he seemed to think that because parts are not readily available at the local shop for a 394 that it would be easier to drop another engine in there and it would save headaches in the future (with a bit of pain now) and make it more of a daily driver.

C. Again, it is hard to find someone here who is familiar with the 394 as I almost never come across a 1959 Super 88 or other cars like it. If you guys are in the know, I'm certainly open to preserving the proper Olds tech. Thoughts? Engine builder contacts on Long Island? Leaning towards the swap but not married yet. I am just gathering info for what is right for me. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks again for your help 2blu442.
A. You have a project for way more than a summer and you will limit progress with money. You have picked a very large project to learn on. Have you ever done brakes (wheel cylinders, lines, master cylinder, etc.) on a car ? What do you have for tools ?
B. Your "friend" knows what about what kind of cars? Because parts aren't available at the local parts store does NOT mean they are "unavailable". Why would a local auto parts store stock a complete line of parts for a 1959 to 1964 Oldsmobile ? I'll bet if you find a parts counter person that was born before the invention of the internet, he could probably order parts.
C. Have you tried getting active or at least know/join any local "car clubs" ? Those people KNOW who does what and might be more helpful than your "friend".

Old May 27th, 2020, 09:18 PM

I'm with the rest of the group, love the father son thing and I like big more doors and first generation Old's but I would never tackle something as tough as that car. What you need is a parts car or make this your parts car and find something in you price range that runs and drives that you can handle. My opinion you are way over your head with this project.

It would be a cool ride when finished and you would be in to it close to 30 grand and it would be worth about 12-15 thousand tops. Most likely it would end up being someones else's project down the road. I don't mein to rain on your parade but I see major clouds gathering..... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old May 27th, 2020, 11:31 PM

After preliminary discussions with him he seemed to think that because parts are not readily available at the local shop for a 394 that it would be easier to drop another engine in there and it would save headaches in the future (with a bit of pain now) and make it more of a daily driver.

Thoughts?
Here is a reality check. Get a new ‘friend’ who knows what he are talking about. 394 parts are readily available from a variety of places- I know it won’t be at your corner Auto-zone or Pep Boys. Expensive? You bet, but the amount of people that want to swap a weird combo into them just talk about doing it on here but only about 1% actually accomplish it where it’s running and driving. And why dump a ton of money into a 4 door? (unless that’s what you want) You should of done more research before you even thought of buying anything
Old May 28th, 2020, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
but the amount of people that want to swap a weird combo into them just talk about doing it on here but only about 1% actually accomplish it where it’s running and driving.
What usually happens in cases like this is that the car gets torn apart and hacked up to the point of not being reversible, then the person figures out that they are way over their head in either skill or money and the project gets scrapped. Sorry, but that's reality. The more the OP posts, the more it is clear that he is completely inexperienced and his friend isn't much better as far as knowing how much this car differs from a Chevelle or Camaro.
Old May 28th, 2020, 07:09 AM

Darren welcome! Cool Olds!
Old May 28th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Darren, another 0.02 into the pot. That car looks to be pretty far gone. I think you should sell it and get another that doesn't require so much work. If you particularly want a 4-door, I bet you could get a really nice one for $12K and a solid driver for $6-9K. Low-rust complete projects that would be better starting points can probably be found significantly cheaper.

Old May 28th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Eric,

Thank you for asking. How did I get down this rabbit hole? Briefly; being homebound, my kids almost being of driving age (and we would eventually have to get them a car), and the biggest one - inspiration. It's like falling in love with that girl and you know all the stuff you're going to have to put up with I look at it as drive-able piece of art, and I am drawn to its unique character. I know that can be a bad thing mechanically and parts-wise. I am not planning on reselling it, and I am not doing it as a business venture to restore and profit from the restoration. Also, my grandfather worked for GM, and I believe he had a car like this, so it has some tangential sentimental value.

I am a musician, music teacher, and a music journalist by trade. I am not a mechanic, although I am handy. I've taught myself how to build and put together computers, worked on guitars, taught myself guitar, fixed things my family breaks... you get the idea.

For cars I have done the basics before; transmission fluid, Battery (mild electrical), Oil Change, assisted on changing drum brake shoes,, and I realize I will need a fair amount of tools including the drum brake kits and whatnot.

I calculated that when it comes to under the hood (engine tranny and Brakes) and welding aspects I would be shelling out cash to have it done. I figured I could save some money by sourcing and buying the parts myself. I got the car for probably a third of what I estimate it will take to fix the engine. There are three different brake assemblies for this car. I have no idea which one is in there. Better to modernize the brakes I would think??

Transportation to Long Island was in my mind necessary because no matter how hard I looked here on Long Island, nobody has had a car like this for sale in the three months I was looking. If they did, it was all done up and in the $30,000 range. Any other car, save maybe a Cadillac of this time period, wouldn't do it for me.

With the Coronavirus lockdown and my work slowed considerably, I needed something to challenge by mind and soul - to dig into. My kids need the same as we are at the epicenter here and although it's getting better, who really knows?

This car needs a lot of elbow grease, patience and work and that is the sweat equity we have to put into the car. I am aware it needs a lot and I have already researched restoration quite a bit.

I will source and buy all parts.

Things I can do:
Carpets, Seat Upholstry, Interior, refurbishing the dash, refurbishing the door panels, refurbishing the steering wheel, weatherstrip replacement, cleaning the rust off interior floor pans and interior metal, cleaning and treating the rusty undercarriage (frame looks to be in good but rusty structural shape), sanding and cleaning the rust off the car's exterior for rust patching (and getting it ready for painting), patching rust with bondo or fiberglass, electrical hook up of lights, dash accessories, etc.

Not sure:
I was hoping to avoid welding to fix those rusted out rear quarter panels. I could get quarter panels via salvage maybe? I don't know if Glass or Bondo would cover those areas.
Painting - I am not sure I can do a good job on the painting, although I am learning how to prep the car to be painted.
Suspension & differential - not sure I can adjust this myself.

Can't do's:
- I have no idea what brake system is in the car, and I cannot take a chance with it. I need to go somewhere to have those done. Steering seems to be intact.
- Engine replacement or rebuild - need to have that done.
- Transmission - who knows what shape that is in.
- I know one floor panel is rusted out so I need a welder to come in and cut out the old one and put in a new one.

So far, not complete, I am probably looking at $10,000 (including vehicle acquisition) sans paint with this car. Lots of unknowns. Exciting and terrifying at the same time! Any blind spots I am missing, please chime in.

Wish me luck! Still open to advice from the community. You have given me much to think about.

-- Darren

Old May 28th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Good luck in your quest, I have seen people with less experience start out with a worst example. It will be a good learning experience for all.
Old May 28th, 2020, 04:24 PM
Rocket Renegade!

If you can even get that car running and roadworthy for $10K I'll be very impressed.
Old May 28th, 2020, 05:05 PM

Hello Daren,

TruBlue442 asked me to reach out to you about the 394. If you can get the parts Scott Merkel at Merkel Racing engines in Islip should be able to help you with the engine provided you can get the parts. He's done a few motors for me over the years and did my 455 about 5 years ago dynoed out the door for $4,500. James Antonetti in Lyndbrook does mainly Buick motors and should be able to get yours done as well. I'm sure he could do a 394. He'll be cheaper than Scott but he doesn't have a dyno so you would have to do the break in. Since race season is on hold you may hit either of these guys right.

Also you can join the LI&NYC Oldsmobile club chapter of the Oldsmobile Club of America. I am a member and will try to reach out at next months meeting, if it happens, in Farmingdale. I don't know much about 394's but they are out there. I actually think there was something on Craigs List.

PM me and I'll give you my cell number so we can better communicate.
Old May 28th, 2020, 07:04 PM

So far, not complete, I am probably looking at $10,000 (including vehicle acquisition) sans paint with this car. Lots of unknowns. Exciting and terrifying at the same time! Any blind spots I am missing, please chime in.

Wish me luck! Still open to advice from the community. You have given me much to think about.

-- Darren
FYI, I started with a rust free A-body (more popular platform than yours). Mine was also a father son project and my dad and I did absolutely everything ourselves except build the engine, put in the headliner, alignment, and exhaust. We got lucky and someone couldn't pay their machining bill, so we paid $1500 for the motor already built. It cost around 20 grand and 6 years to get it on the road (actually 8 if you consider the two years we started with a rust bucket we ended up using as a parts car). That's with junkyard sourced parts for the rear end, disk brake conversion, transmission, interior, etc. We did all of the paint and body work in the garage ourselves. Since then I've put a lot more into it finishing the details.

I'd highly suggest really diving into the cost of everything that car needs. You'll find $10k won't get you very far. From there, reassess what you're willing to do. I'll tell you I cherish the hell out of my car and the memories I have with my dad building it. It's a worthwhile father-son project. But they won't be good memories if you go in expecting it to be cheap and easy and it turns out to be anything but.
Old May 28th, 2020, 08:10 PM

69442ragtop, Running and roadworthy - can't be done for $10,000 is that with or without original parts... or both?
Old May 28th, 2020, 10:15 PM

How many miles are clocked up?
Are only the heads missing?
Are all fasteners still there?
Maybe, the engine isn't in need of a rebuild. If it'll turn, I'd carefully go over each cylinder with fine steel wool lightly soaked with oil, if heavy rust and pitting hasn't yet set in. Then bolt on the heads and see how it runs. It'll only cost a set of heads and upper engine gaskets.
Maybe, there's a car buff in your neighborhood who could put it together for way less than a shop would demand.
Going with a Pontiac engine would remove the car's charachter. If there's no other way out, you might be able to find front engine mounts from a full-sized Pontiac of that era ('58 - '64), since Pontiac V-8 blocks externally remained unchanged from '55 on up, except for belllhousing castings
Old May 29th, 2020, 08:02 AM

69442ragtop, Running and roadworthy - can't be done for $10,000 is that with or without original parts... or both?
That's not true.

I'm sorry you're getting so much flak from folks. $10k is more than enough to get that car road worthy and safe. Just get your friend to help where your skills are lacking.
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:47 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Either way. I'm talking proper metal repair on all the holes (and there's always more rust than you think), re & re brakes, trans and suspension, and either bolt in another 394 (way too cost prohibitive to swap in a Chebby or even a later generation Olds) or rebuild the existing one. Under $10K? I don't think so.

And at that point, you haven't even painted it or done any cosmetics or addressed that ragheap of an interior.

For a guy in your position and with your talents, you're way better off buying a car that's already done or at least at lot closer to it than that one is.
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:00 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Olds64
That's not true.

I'm sorry you're getting so much flak from folks. $10k is more than enough to get that car road worthy and safe. Just get your friend to help where your skills are lacking.
I think the posters that seem to be less than encouraging are just trying to give OP a dose of reality. The requirements of this car are such that it's probably beyond the scope of a regular guy who's "handy". I just want to save Darren the heartache of having a garage full of dismantled car parts and a rusty hulk sitting in the driveway wrapped in plastic sheeting for the next ten years, or until his wife makes him have it towed away. I've certainly seen it happen before.

Starting with a more solid car is the best way to avoid a tragedy like this.
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
I think the posters that seem to be less than encouraging are just trying to give OP a dose of reality.
Understandable.

Maybe I'm way off base, or taking my skills into account when considering the rebuild on this car. However, the best way to learn is to do things yourself.
Old May 29th, 2020, 12:11 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Olds64
Understandable.

... taking my skills into account when considering the rebuild on this car. However, the best way to learn is to do things yourself.
This is it, I think. You may be conflating your own skills with those of a rookie. Things that you don't give a second thought to may require a lot more time and effort if one hasn't done them before. I agree the best way to learn is by doing, but that axiom has its limits, and there are a lot of tasks required by that car that would definitely test them.

As John Wayne (or somebody) said: "A man's got to know his limitations."
Old May 29th, 2020, 01:23 PM
Administrator

We're car guys, we don't have no stinkin limitations... With all that said, the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, I got into this hobby the same as most others... sheer necessity. We as kids were armed with a 200 piece Craftsman tool set, a book, a few just as clueless pointy haired friends, and pure ambition. Just as we figured it out, so shall newcomers. Nothing better than "trial by fire".
Old May 29th, 2020, 01:39 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Well, let's see what Darren decides ...
Old May 29th, 2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
We're car guys, we don't have no stinkin limitations... With all that said, the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, I got into this hobby the same as most others... sheer necessity. We as kids were armed with a 200 piece Craftsman tool set, a book, a few just as clueless pointy haired friends, and pure ambition. Just as we figured it out, so shall newcomers. Nothing better than "trial by fire".
My $50 1964 Impala is where I first started turning wrenches. I needed a car to get a job, I needed a job to afford a car. So I bought a clunker that needed worked on almost every weekend! The local library had a couple repair manuals that may have been checked out to me more than on the shelf that first year! I do think Darren would be ahead of the game getting a car that's in better shape to start with. But its his project and I hope he has some fun along the way. Michael is going to try and help him connect with a local Oldsmobile club. There might be someone there who can steer him in the right direction on some of the steps of working on this car.
Old May 29th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

No one is trying to discourage the OP from working on cars, or even this car, but one needs to make an informed decision. First, there aren't any of these cars in wrecking yards anymore. Unlike when a lot of us first learned, and could run down and grab needed parts, they just don't exist today. Second, this is a really tough project for a first timer. It's an oddball that has a lot of differences from even cars made in the 1960s, aftermarket support is nearly nonexistent, and even things like the suspension bushings and steering linkage don't look like the ones on newer cars. Wear items will almost certainly need to be bought from a specialty house like Kanter. You're not going to run down to the local auto parts store for much of anything. There are only a handful of transmission shops who even know what that automatic is, much less how to repair one. The charging system is a generator, not an alternator. Even the door latches don't worn like the ones on new cars. We've already talked about the engine.

It's a huge undertaking. It would be a tremendous learning experience, but put a 3X factor on the time and money you think it will take and you might be close. Expect to spend a lot of time on ebay looking for obscure parts that you can't find anywhere else. And start by getting a factory service manual.
Old May 29th, 2020, 03:41 PM

This is it, I think. You may be conflating your own skills with those of a rookie. Things that you don't give a second thought to may require a lot more time and effort if one hasn't done them before. I agree the best way to learn is by doing, but that axiom has its limits, and there are a lot of tasks required by that car that would definitely test them.
....Dirty Harry Callahan in Magnum Force.......

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Oldcuttlass, you "big spender", I started with the 100 tool set.<--HUMOR

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No one is trying to discourage the OP from working on cars, or even this car, but one needs to make an informed decision. First, there aren't any of these cars in wrecking yards anymore. Unlike when a lot of us first learned, and could run down and grab needed parts, they just don't exist today. Second, this is a really tough project for a first timer. It's an oddball that has a lot of differences from even cars made in the 1960s, aftermarket support is nearly nonexistent, and even things like the suspension bushings and steering linkage don't look like the ones on newer cars. Wear items will almost certainly need to be bought from a specialty house like Kanter. You're not going to run down to the local auto parts store for much of anything. There are only a handful of transmission shops who even know what that automatic is, much less how to repair one. The charging system is a generator, not an alternator. Even the door latches don't worn like the ones on new cars. We've already talked about the engine.

It's a huge undertaking. It would be a tremendous learning experience, but put a 3X factor on the time and money you think it will take and you might be close. Expect to spend a lot of time on ebay looking for obscure parts that you can't find anywhere else. And start by getting a factory service manual.
Joe P is correct.
"Researching" (as in reading it on the internet) is a long ways from doing it and more time consuming than reading it. I think Darren will do what he wants, but he does need advice from someone other than his "friend". I don't recall 1959's as being a big seller, so used parts are going to be very scarce.

Quick Reply: Swapping out a 394