1972 Olds 98 - Advice

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Big Car Lover

1972 Olds 98 - Advice

Hello Folks... I need some help and some info. I recently picked up a 98 that is a '72 model but was built in '71 according to the VIN. Overall it's in great shape for having sat for a long time. The upholstery is in fairly good shape and without tears in the velour or cracks in the leather. The engine had a low end knock but turned out to be just a loose flywheel. Paint and body is good but got damaged in shipping so now I want to totally repaint it. The gas tank had 4.5 gallons of water in it and as you can imagine the fuel pump and carb did too but all of that has been taken care of.

I am having a few electrical problems right now with the seats and I'm in the process of tracing wires. The engine seems way sluggish too. I'm going to inspect the exhaust system to see if it's clogged. It shifts real hard out of first into second. Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking to correct this? All of the fluids look great and I've found no runs, drips or errors anywhere thus far.

I also need a good place to get parts. The lock actuators are froze up solid. If anyoone has any recommendations on where to send the dash to be reworked or any recommendations on someone to use to re-upholstery work PLEASE let me know. This is a big ole beautiful car and I want to do it justice when I have it finished. Kevin
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:06 AM

Welcome to the website! You will find alot of good stuff here. Sounds like you have a great project.

If you want to get ahold of upholstrey kits you can get ahold of Kanter. I don't know if they have any orignial style interior kits but they have some really nice velour, tweed, and saddlecloth fabrics.

http://www.kanter.com/

For parts like power seat motors or door lock you can check out Fusick. They specialize in parts for big cars.

http://www.fusick.com/
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by KevinPatrick
Hello Folks... I need some help and some info. I recently picked up a 98 that is a '72 model but was built in '71 according to the VIN.
The VIN is THE authority on what the model year is, so if the VIN says the car is a 71, it's a 71. The sixth digit of the VIN controls this. If it's a "1", the car is a 71. If it's a "2", the car is a 72. There should be no fuzz on that. Why do you think the car is a 72 if the VIN indicates it's a 71?

Now keep in mind that the VIN indicates MODEL YEAR, not build year. The 1972 model year cars would have been built between Sept 1971 and July or early Aug 1972. The body data plate on the cowl will indicate build date.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Past Administrator

Is it possible your car was in a flood? It seems like you are describing troubles related to a water intrusion of large amounts.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM

Dan, I thought it sounded like flood problems also.

Joe, If I recall correctly some states would title the car for the year it sold from the dealership. If a 1971 sold in 72 it got titled as a 1972. That may be what he is refering to.

Kevin, Ebay or your local craigslist would be where I would look for a used dash pad. Possibly someone on this site might have one. 'Just Dashes' can likely recover your pad. But I think it would be in the $600 to $700 range.

Don
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Big Car Lover

Why do you think the car is a 72 if the VIN indicates it's a 71?

Hi Joe! Thank you for the reply. The only reason I had any doubt about the year model is because the '72's front bumper goes straight across and the '71's bumper follows the grill somewhat. Other than that I don't really see any differences. Either way though she's a gem and I love getting her and closing the door and hearing that good ole quality "fump" when the doors latches.
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Big Car Lover

Hi Dan and Don. You know I never suspected a flood car. It very possibly could be but I don't smell soured upholstery or see any water marks on the inside. I know the car sat for a while and I just assumed someone may have had the license plate covering the gas tank fill pipe propped open with no cap on the fill pipe. It had no gas cap on it when I got either.

Speaking of the interior, I was inside messing around with the trunk release switch and saw something behind the dash trim that just infuriated me. Someone had taken a Sawz-All to the dash and cut out the section between the dash vents on the passenger side. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! But, I guess that's the fun with fixing one up...lol! It's not just a project....it's an adventure!!!

I'm offshore right now so my project will have to wait for 3 weeks until I get back.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I'm sure I'll be back with some more silly questions since this is my first one to do.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72 olds5.jpg (24.2 KB, 34 views)
72 olds1.jpg (19.5 KB, 42 views)
72 olds6.jpg (25.9 KB, 22 views)
72 olds2.jpg (25.5 KB, 32 views)
72 olds10.jpg (25.8 KB, 46 views)
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Big Car Lover

Why do you think the car is a 72 if the VIN indicates it's a 71?

See what I mean about the front bumper?
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM

That car is BEAUTIFUL!
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Big Car Lover

Hehehehe..... Flattery will get you EVERYWHERE!!! Thank you very much. I'm proud of her! One day she'll shine again.
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:29 AM

There is a guy near me selling a 72 like yours cheap. It is pretty ratty though. It doesn't run and has been sitting in a field for 15 years. The trunk is all rusted out and he wants too much for it.

Big cars are COOL!
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:17 AM

Cool car! -Like my ex-delta 88..
Attached Images
DELTA 88 PARKISSA.jpg (92.5 KB, 7 views)
DELTA 88 PARKISSA 2.jpg (93.4 KB, 7 views)
StadiCruising2.6-06-098.jpg (127.4 KB, 2 views)
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Oldsdruid

Well- that's a 72 front end. Car's probably been wrecked in the front and had a nose job.

That is also a Regency interior and looks like a Regency script on the RH dash trim pad. Regency did not appear until midyear 1972 and all were gold with either gold or black vinyl roof cover.

I hate to even bring this up. This car may be a theft recovery or rebuild. What kind of paperwork came with it?
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The VIN is THE authority on what the model year is, so if the VIN says the car is a 71, it's a 71. The sixth digit of the VIN controls this. If it's a "1", the car is a 71. If it's a "2", the car is a 72. There should be no fuzz on that. Why do you think the car is a 72 if the VIN indicates it's a 71?

Now keep in mind that the VIN indicates MODEL YEAR, not build year. The 1972 model year cars would have been built between Sept 1971 and July or early Aug 1972. The body data plate on the cowl will indicate build date.
Getting back to this item...
What does the VIN show? Maybe you could post it to confirm what it is? There's just too much speculation on what ifs. The car looks really nice. Whoever had it probably sold it because they were putting the wrong brand of water in the gas tank and carb when they were trying to start it. Should have used Evian (naive backwards). Hey, don't laugh. I've met guys who've towed their car to the dealer to get repaired when all that happened was they ran out of gas!!!

Good luck on your project.
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:35 PM
in love with a '71 98

Beautiful 98 you have there Kevin! That is a '72 for sure, as the tailights and black strip on the bumper are '72 traits as well as the obvious front end. I love that big, plush regency interior. Sounds like you have some detective work ahead of you, but that can be half the fun.

Congrats on your new Olds and welcome to the BIG leagues!

-Bob
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM

I wonder if it could be a "re-vin". As in the car was stolen and someone swapped it for one that hadn't been. You never know.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM

1971's had the louvered trunklid, one year only.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by svnt442
I wonder if it could be a "re-vin". As in the car was stolen and someone swapped it for one that hadn't been. You never know.
VINs can be swapped. So can bumpers and front sheetmetal (and trunklids). I've seen several 68 Cutlii with 69 front ends and vice versa. I can say one thing with absolute certainty, however. GM NEVER built a 1972 car with a 1971 VIN.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Texas Jim

I have a '71 that I'll be taking the engine out of very soon and am going to sell the rolling body. I want $550.00 f/ the whole deal. I need to post pics which I said I'd post last week and didn't, but I will real soon. The body is in perfect shape and it's all there. Pics real soon.
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:40 AM
zed

Great looking 98. Gotta love them big ol' girls...