The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Slomega - 1974 Olds Omega

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2012, 06:49 PM

Slomega - 1974 Olds Omega

Good day, my name is Dave ... and I'm from Winnipeg, MB Canada.

I bought a 74 Omega back in 2005, with the intent of parting it out and keeping some of the good stuff for my 73 Nova.

After going over the car a few times, and knowing that there aren't many Omegas out there .... I decided to fix it up. 6 years later, it continues to drain my pocketbook ... along with the Nova.

My Dad and I race the Omega at Gimli Dragway, powered by a SBC 355, 3.73s are we are running 13.5's and 13.6's.

http://oldsomega.ca/slomega - is the link to my website ... if you want to check it out : )

It's nice to see a bunch of other 73/74 Omega enthusiasts out here!!

.. she's come along ways since I found her back in 2005

TONS of Pictures and Story/History posted on the website!

Last edited by Slomega; February 22nd, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:09 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. Looks pretty clean and straight, better to save than destroy right? Respectable et's too.
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:15 PM
Old School Olds

Achebbie engine? Almost a nova huh? welcome!
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:08 PM

I don't know why they think a chubby is the answer to there engine needs.

Gene
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:29 AM

Little story behind the cheebie.

Originally the car came with a straight 6. I wanted to throw an 8 in the car, cause the inline 6 was done (top speed, maybe 45kmhs). I acquired a 350 Rocket from another 74 Omega I bought as a parts-car.

My brother-in-law is a diehard oldsmobile guy and with his help .... I started to price out building up a nice rocket : )

YIKES !! ... I could build an SBC for half the price, not to mention how much easier it would be to get parts .... I went with the SBC setup and sold the Rocket to my Bro-in-law.

I also own a 73 Nova, which is my baby (ducks) and kinda wanting to keep the two the same so I can always interchange parts.

As I upgraded the Nova, the old parts went to the Omega ....

I'm doing my best to keep the Omega, an Omega .... but it's hard finding some parts. There's been times I've thought about throwing a Nova frontclip on it, because I have the parts and their alot easier to get but I can't. It's NOT a Nova.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Welcome to the forum. Looks pretty clean and straight, better to save than destroy right? Respectable et's too.
The body still has A LONG ways to go. I replaced the outer-wheel wells, quarters ... patched the floors and some quick patches on the doors.

The front fenders aren't very pretty, but they'll do till I come across something better.

The car is sitting in flat black ..... used 6 cans of Tremclad just to get it all one color, as most of the original paint has flaked off.

Still alot of bodywork left to do ... as I find the time and learn the skills : )

One day ... I hope to have her looking minty!!
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM

boring a block, align hone the mains, decking the block, valve job, install valve guides, is no different than a chebby, machine work is machine work. I have chebby valves in my heads. Valves are valves. They are "SI" valves 2.08 and 1.72 check them out.
yes you can get chebby parts cheaper, but that is what you get, cheap parts. you go to any swap meet and they are all over. You get good quality chebby parts, they cost money and they last. You don't find good quality chebby parts at swap meets very often. Most machine shops put an OLDS together thinking it is a chebby and they don't last. You need someone with Olds knowledge.
The engine in my car has been in there for ten years, has old rework TRW pistons, rework stock rods, and a flat tappet cam, nothing special, just care in putting it together, still runs the same after all this time.

Gene
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
yes you can get chebby parts cheaper, but that is what you get, cheap parts. you go to any swap meet and they are all over. You get good quality chebby parts, they cost money and they last. You don't find good quality chebby parts at swap meets very often. Most machine shops put an OLDS together thinking it is a chebby and they don't last. You need someone with Olds knowledge.

Gene
Part of the reason too, is the Omega has gotten alot of the old 'hand-me-downs' from upgrading the Nova over the years.

You are correct in your statement 'you get what you pay for' .... learnt that lesson a long time ago : ) I buy quality parts, more expensive ... yes, but in the end it's cheaper!!

I am also more familar and comfortable with Chevys, it's what I know. Nothing against Olds! To me, it's all GM!!

I've been driving the Nova since '95 (bought NEW in 73 by my Dad), and the Omega since '05.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome! The nameplate on the body is still an Olds, good job!