The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Dads 38 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Dads 38 Coupe

Hi everyone. I am the proud owner of my old man's first car, a '38 Olds Coupe. Unfortunately, I received it after he passed but I hope to bring it back like he had always wanted to. It is in sad shape. I don't think it has ran in over 2 decades, but it will be a fun project for the boys and I. Right now it is in the Pacific North West where it will be subjected to the elements this winter. There really isn't much I can do for that this year, so I thought I would get a good cover for it. But, I can't find one specifically for a '38 Oldsmobile Coupe anywhere. Can anyone recommend one that would fit? It doesn't have to be perfect. maybe one for an old Chevy or Ford would work? Thoughts anyone?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
38 Olds.jpg (69.8 KB, 54 views)
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi swells,
Welcome to C.O.
Nice to see you're going to restore a treasure. I know it will make your Dad proud & he will be watching down on you as you go.

What I would do for now, since the car is not in great shape is 1. Move it and whack/cut all the weeds or grass under it and put down a tarp before moving the car back on it. ( You would not believe how much moisture is transmitted to frames and metal parts from vegetation). 2. Wrap it with a large building tarp for the winter. Worry about the custom fitted covers when you get the car finished.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:36 AM

Welcome

X2 on what Allan said, The weeds also act as a step latte for insects /rodents.
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:07 AM

Have you tried www.Calcarcover.com? If you can't find your model online, give them a call to see if they can do it.
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM

38 Olds

Looking forward in seeing the work begin. Looks like it in fairly good shape for the year actually. Looks like you have lots to work with, much nicer then I have seen some start out with. What makes it worth the effort is being able to work with the boys and seeing your dads car go down the road again. Can hardly wait to see it done, it will be beautiful when done. Keep us posted...
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:24 AM

Welcome!

And totally X2 on what allan said.

My car was parked over weeds for 3 years, and i've spent MOST of my time restoring this car, cleaning rusted parts.

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hi swells,
Welcome to C.O.
Nice to see you're going to restore a treasure. I know it will make your Dad proud & he will be watching down on you as you go.

What I would do for now, since the car is not in great shape is 1. Move it and whack/cut all the weeds or grass under it and put down a tarp before moving the car back on it. ( You would not believe how much moisture is transmitted to frames and metal parts from vegetation). 2. Wrap it with a large building tarp for the winter. Worry about the custom fitted covers when you get the car finished.
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Awesome project! Whats your plan?
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
1955 Oldsmobile Super 88

I would go through this company, AutoAnything, I purchased a Covercraft Noah Car Cover for my 1955 Olds and it fit like a glove. I'm sure they can make one and their prices are reasonable. $281 delivered for a custom fit car cover
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM

BEAUTIFUL 55 Benny. The color looks good too. I love them old 50's cars and trucks...
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Wow! Great replies. Thank you for all the great suggestions. I think I'll take Allen's advice. I didn't even think about putting a tarp down first. I have already got the weeds taken care of (pic is from last winter) and the large tarp would be easy and cheap. Thanks everyone. Your input makes me want to start all the more. I will keep my progress posted. What a great community I have stumbled upon!
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:43 PM

Also, Oldcutlass (awsome albums, by the way), the plan is to get it down here (it's in WA and I am in SoCal) next spring. The work starts then and will undoubtedly go for years. My 9th grader will be the primary helper between sport seasons. It'll be fun. I'll keep the fitted cover suggestions on the back burner until I have a closer finished product. Again, thanks for the great replies everyone!