General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

In search of my dads 442

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2014, 06:25 PM

In search of my dads 442

Looking for the right forum to get help finding "Your Fathers Oldsmobile" before i tell the story where should i be
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

General forum where you are is just fine.
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:09 PM

This is the right spot, fire when ready.
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Well here it goes. I still remember back in 1970 when my dad wanted me to go with him to Brogan Cadillac/Oldsmobile of Ridgewood NJ. It was the night before he took delivery of his triple blue 442 convertible 4 speed with SSII wheels we peered through the prep area in the back of the dealership to try and spot her. We were both as excited as a 10 year old on Christmas Eve. To this day I can’t remember another time in my Dad’s life when he was this excited about something. We went together the next morning to take delivery. WOW, I can smell it and I still remember what it sounded like!! Fast forward 3 years–Mom and Dads version of this story differ slightly so I’ll go with my Dads for this purpose. Mom was driving home from a family vacation in the Adirondacks late August 1973-74 when the temp light when on and BAM!! it was over, “ she blew up the 442”. From my Mom’s, perspective she had had enough. She always said “the car spent more time in the shop than on the road,” so she either gave the car to the towing company or the repair shop where they took it. Shes 87 now and although she is pretty sharp, she can’t seem to remember the exact scenario or location, but thinks it was around Glenns Falls NY. So anyway, I have decided to do whatever it takes to find out if she ( no not my Mom, the car ) survived and is sitting in a barn, a driver, restored, parted out or worst case senario, say it ain’t so………… crushed. Who wants to play?
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Interesting story, and too bad about the car. Chances are that with a blown 455 and being 3 or 4 years old it likely didn't survive much longer. Back in those days cars typically only had an expected lifespan of around 4-5 years. Also don't forget that in 73/74 the oil embargoes started and a thirsty 455 wasn't exactly the econobox people could afford to fuel up.

I sincerely wish you luck in your search, but starting to look now after 40 years is expecting a lot.
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:33 PM

If you can recall, these things may help narrow down candidates:

Which shade of blue? (Azure, Twilight or Astro?) [google for pics in each color]
Bench or bucket seats?
Any idea if it had the OAI hood?

I'll have to look up that dealership location and look for the building in Ridgewood if it still stands the next time I visit my sister.

Good luck with your search!

Terry
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Allen you are correct but I have high expectations to begin with and hey you never know where this might lead. Funny too... I still remember the long lines to fill the tank for 11 dollars!! We used to live 1/2 block from the local corner "service "station, when it meant exactly that and the owner would tell my dad to leave the car in the lot the night before and when he came in he would fill it up and drop it off at the house afterwards. AHH the good old days
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:41 PM

An old registration with the vin would be wonderful
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:47 PM

Terry,
Astro I think, definitely not azure that was the original color of my current project. Bucket, no console, no OIA hood, bummer. Brogan building is still there but company is gone as with so many others. So your sister lives in the area?
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Koda ,yes it would actually be a miracle. we looked through all the "papers" when they moved 20 years ago.
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Administrator

That's one of the better stories we've seen. It's going to be tough so many try not many succeed. Your heart is in the right place though. Good luck.

Worst case scenario, you can find and/or replicate your dads old car. Live the dream.
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:38 AM

I don't know about NY but in Texas, if you have an old registration, photo, or anything you can get the license plate number off of, they can track it down. I had a 57 Nomad when I joined the Navy in 1967 and when I was sent to Pearl Harbor, my wife and son came over to live there, so I sold the car to get the money. About five years ago, I decided to try to find the car. I had on old photo with the license number and gave the tag number to my local tax office and they gave me a complete history on the car. Too bad it was scrapped though.