The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

mechanic messed with my dads carb.

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

mechanic messed with my dads carb.

So we took my dads olds powered 77 pontiac bonneville to get an alignment. It ran good. A little rich but I planned on adding a set of headers so it would have leaned up. Well I go to pick it up and it fired up pumped the gas and it idled with out having to hold the gas since the eddy 600 cfm has no choke. It also ran a little smoother. Here is the part where you mmight realize the mechanic did an unwanted service for free and did good job. All they did was adjust the idle. I went to start it this morning and just 2 pump of the gas and the idle maintained its self. I'm guessing it took very litle work to do but it's the little things that are noticed and go a long way. That place has a customer for years to come. Even though I'll have to re adjust it when I go to headers I though it was very cool of the shop to do that.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
Senior Moment Member

Yeah, def a place to bring your biz.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM

I thought the cheapest way to get that radical cam sound was to adjust the idle mix in until it runs rough and stalls....

:-)
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM

It was rich enough to just smell a hint of raw fuel at idle . The main difference that sold me they messed with it was off idle. It was a bit smoother. I spent a lot of time to de tune the engine. When I had it in my car I had headers, and a very free flowing exhaust. My dad wanted manifolds , and all accessories also it does not help it went from a 3400 lb car to a 4000 plus pound behemoth with a 2.73 gear. My guess is they put gauges on it an tuned it to how the readings on the vac. gauge work. I think it's time for me to learn how to tune em that way. My friend and I tuned his c-10 and we got it close then he took it to a friends house who's dad is a very good old school mechanic and he had her running perfect. We are going to a 3.23 gear set that should help out significantly to get this engine to spin faster along with some headers . Fwiw when I had that engine one of the carb mounting holes was exposed and I didn't know it went into the plenum . my car ran good and had vac. to stop but it had a radical idle . I thought it was the cam. Nope it was a really big vac. leak. I fixed it and it idled damn near stock lol but some how performance was not enhanced or hurt at the track.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:45 PM

Sounds like the mech knows carbs. A lot don't.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM

Either that or my theory that the carb had a clogged jet was right. This was the longest drive that engine had been in 4 years and the car its self 25.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM

I would go with the distance. When I put a different carb on, I have a three mile loop I go around the area. Starts out needing both feet on the gas and brake to avoid stalling. By the third loop with all fluids and the carb warmed up, it is 80% better. By the 5th time around it is usually running and idling very well.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 06:23 PM
Senior Moment Member

Reminds me of when I owned m Speed Shop. A kid I had working for me was a Wyotech grad. I had my Vette in there having the motor redone. He said it was almost done except he had to wait for the super to put the distributor in. I said, "What?" He didn't know how to do it. I gave him grief for that forever. Mr. Know It All, couldn't put in a lousy distributor. I bet he couldn't tune a carb either. I laughed my *** off at that kid. He wanted a raise to 60k a year because he went to Wyotech. Needless to say he went by by.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 06:29 PM

Well most kids who go to wyotech and uti fail miserably because shop experience and "school" experience are 2 diffrent things.,and locally a lot of guys don't like to hire them. As for me I learn by trial and error and give it hell.
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:45 AM

Not to many guys left out there that are good with carburaters.Meaning the current generation.They've been out of new vehicle production for better than 25 yrs.I'm dating myself now.