General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

69 Cutlass mirror options

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2014, 05:55 PM

69 Cutlass mirror options

I currently have only a driver side remote adjustment mirror, nothing on the passenger side.

I wanted to install these mirrors by Morris Classic Concepts, which have a wide angle passenger mirror. But they have a narrow base (like a Chevelle) and won't cover up the monster holes in my Cutlass door.

What are my options to install matching driver & passenger mirrors?

I can't find a chrome passenger mirror that matches my current driver side mirror.

I can get a matching set of manual adjusting mirrors from OPGI etc, but no wide angle on passenger side and run the risk of loose fitment and mirror changing position while closing the door, going over bumps etc.

Can 71-72 Sport mirrors work on a 69? Looks like the Sport mirrors bolt in with nuts from inside the door, and would need a much smaller hole on the drivers door. I suppose I could use a large washer from the inside to work with the holes in my 69 door, assuming the base is large enough to cover it. Is the angle of the door mounting area the same?

F-body mirrors, G-body mirrors..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (75.0 KB, 210 views)
mirrors-back.jpg (18.2 KB, 215 views)
FullSizeRender2.jpg (82.5 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by Mr Nick; November 16th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM

passenger side mirror was an option in 69 and are clam shaped.
Fusicks sells them
Your driver side mirror is also an option, standard was the clam shape as well.
They did not make a remote for the passenger side
So either factory clam shape or after market like what you have
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:16 PM

I know the passenger mirror will not be remote adjust.

There is no passenger mirror available that matches the appearance of my current driver mirror?
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:39 PM

could be I have never seen anything that resembles that.
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Randy C.

You are correct - there is no passenger side mirror that matches the optional remote driver side mirror. You could go with the standard non-remote style for both sides and attach a "peel-n-stick" convex mirror on the passenger side mirror. But that still leaves you with non-remote side mirrors.

I don't believe the 71-72 sport mirrors will work because the angle of the mounting surface is different on doors of those models versus the 68-69 models - I think you would find that the door glass gets in the way if you tried the later model mirrors.

Your problem brings up a question I've always had - I wonder if export models to right-hand drive countries would have a right side remote style mirror as an option for those cars...just thinking out loud.

Randy C.
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Ok thanks guys that clears things up a bit. Sounds like the large mounting holes (unique to Olds compared to other A-bodies?) and angle of the 69 doors really limits my options.

I don't mind giving up remote driver mirror, if I gain a matching passenger mirror.
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
Ok thanks guys that clears things up a bit. Sounds like the large mounting holes (unique to Olds compared to other A-bodies?) and angle of the 69 doors really limits my options.

I don't mind giving up remote driver mirror, if I gain a matching passenger mirror.

That is exactly what I did on my 69 just went w the two factory clam shell mirrors. IMO looks good and is factory
Old November 17th, 2014, 01:33 AM

A '73 Omega sport mirror will work on a '68 or '69, but there is a slight gap where the driver side mirror holes are.
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

I can't find a chrome passenger mirror that matches my current driver side mirror.

I can get a matching set of manual adjusting mirrors from OPGI etc, but no wide angle on passenger side and run the risk of loose fitment and mirror changing position while closing the door, going over bumps etc.
The factory remote mirror never had a matching passenger side mirror. The only factory-installed passenger side mirror was the oval manual one. I don't understand why you think this will not work for your application. Repros for both sides are available from the usual suspects.

The only other option that is guaranteed to work is the repro 1969 H/O mirrors:

Old November 17th, 2014, 04:19 PM

I know a matching set of non-remote mirrors will work. The problem is I've heard complaints that they don't hold their position well, and the passenger mirror is not a wide angle style. Those two issues are addressed with the Morris Concepts mirrors, but the base won't work with the large Oldsmobile mounting holes.

I didn't know (till you guys informed me yesterday) that there was not a matching passenger side mirror to go along with the remote-adjust driver mirror.
Old November 17th, 2014, 04:40 PM

I've been in the same dilemma. I want the passenger side mirror but want it to match the driver side. I'd go with two of the standard mirrors but I can't get the driver remote mirror to come off anyhow anyway. lol
Old November 17th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Randy C.

I thought about changing out my '69 to manual side mirrors as well, but then, what do you do with the hole in the driver door panel?

The passenger side mirror was a "luxury" in the day. Most cars back then just didn't have it. But, once you do have it, you sure do miss it not being there!

Anyway, I'll just reluctantly stick with my "upgrade" remote mirror on the driver side and leave it at that! At least I won't get wet if I need to adjust the mirror and it's raining outside!

Randy C.
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:10 PM
72 Olds CS

I think the 71-72 std mirrors look like the MC mirrors you posted and would fit over the holes being they have a ball socket type adjustment they may compensate for the different angle on the 69 door.

i have a set at home if i cant find a pic online Ill try to dig them out

on your white car Nick the HO mirrors would look sweet IMHO
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:34 PM
72 Olds CS

IM not positive but these look similar to the ones I have after searching I question wether they are factory, I got them off a 71-72 supreme and they appeared to be factory ie not inferior aftermarket stuff

Attached Images
71 mirror 2.jpg (71.3 KB, 160 views)
71 mirror.jpg (170.9 KB, 418 views)
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:37 PM

My 442, which doesn't have the mirrors on it right now, has mounts for left and right, but I can tell the casting numbers are different on the ones I have. 67's only had aftermarket ones on the right anyway. My 72 Monte Carlo has the left mirror like the Morris Classic, but no right mirror as it was an option my granddad did not order. I only miss it when backing into or out of a garage or right side parallel parking; driving is not a problem due to good sight lines. His house was on a one way street that he was on the left side of, so one would left side parallel park at his place. Terre Haute made the street two lane in the past few years, but I always park that car left side in a nod to tradition when there.
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

I know a matching set of non-remote mirrors will work. The problem is I've heard complaints that they don't hold their position well, and the passenger mirror is not a wide angle style.
The "don't hold position" is news to me, and the wide angle mirrors didn't exist when these cars were new, thus the repros don't have that feature.

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
The passenger side mirror was a "luxury" in the day. Most cars back then just didn't have it.
Heck a driver's side outside mirror wasn't even standard on my 62. It was a $5 option. There was no passenger side option.

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I think the 71-72 std mirrors look like the MC mirrors you posted and would fit over the holes being they have a ball socket type adjustment they may compensate for the different angle on the 69 door.
The bottom of the base is contoured differently on the 70-72 mirrors and won't fit the 68-69 doors. Besides, the ball socket is the same, so why bother?
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Randy C.

[Quote] Heck a driver's side outside mirror wasn't even standard on my 62. It was a $5 option. There was no passenger side option.

I just thought it was so cool, when my dad bought what is now my '68 4-4-2, that you could adjust the side mirror without having to roll down the window. And with crank windows on a cold, rainy day on the Oregon coast, that meant a lot! Even my best friend's dad's '65 Catalina with A/C didn't have a remote driver side mirror! Yes, it was "livin' large" with a side mirror that could be adjusted from the inside of the car!

Randy C.