General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What is my 1969 delta 88 custom 4 door worth?

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:35 PM

What is my 1969 delta 88 custom 4 door worth?

My grandpa wants to sell his one owner 1969 olds delta 88 hard top 4 door.
This car is all original with a numbers matching 455 rocket and AC.
The interior is in excellent condition and it has been garage kept all 43 years of its life. The body is straight with no rust and the thing runs like new. Vinyl top is in good shape as well. power steering and power windows. everything works.

I really have no clue to what the cars value is or what i should post it for sale? Can you all give me some feedback with your thoughts? I realize this is not a 442. just trying to figure its value. Thanks!

Last edited by mrbrady22; September 23rd, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

According to Collector Car Market Review, in #3 condition
(which is a really good, low mileage, garaged all its life, nothing wrong with it car)
that car is worth $3,325.
If it's got a bit of rust, some tears in the seats, etc, it's in #4 condition, and it's worth $1,200.

We can help more if you post some pictures.

Welcome to Classic Olds.

- Eric
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM

As nice as it is, it's a 4-door, and those just don't command the value that the two-door coupes and convertibles do. And that's on top of the fact that it's a full-size, rather than a Cutlass, which also works against its value.

Have you thought about buying it yourself and keeping it in the family, if you have the ability to do so? Give your grandfather 3 grand and keep it. Or have him will it to you.

After 43 years, why does he want to sell it now?
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Yes, pictures will help.

If it's in nice shape and runs well with shiny paint, my humble opinion is it's at least worth starting at $5k. I just think in todays dollars, where you going to get a running driving car for that?

In reality, it's only worth what someone will pay.
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
it's at least worth starting at $5k.
I agree. That's not a bad asking price at all. He can always go lower if there's no interest.
Old June 26th, 2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone, maybe ill add a couple pictures in a day or so.
Old June 26th, 2013, 05:07 PM

Pics will help us help you
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:28 PM

I don't think pictures will matter much here. He's described it well, and we already know that it's going to look gorgeous. What else are pictures going to tell you?

If this were a barn find that had various issues, pictures matter. But not now. It's like saying you need photos before you can judge the value of a new car sitting in a new car showroom. No you don't.
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You're an optimist, Jaunty.

We've had a couple of new members lately with questions about relatives' cars that were in "super-good-original" condition, that, as the stories unfolded, turned out to be not so super-good after all.

As we have all learned at one point or another, "excellent condition," "no rust," and "runs like new" can mean different things to different people.

- Eric
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Administrator

I like pictures.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM

hey everyone! sorry things happened and i wasnt able to take pictures. But now i have some!! Please let me know what you guys think for a asking price!

Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:34 PM
Administrator

It's a nice car, realistically I'd still ask $5k to try and settle around $3500. The color and missing trim will be an issue.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:35 PM
NôôB

5k sounds like a good starting price to me, but remember the market is limited on these cars, especially with it being a 4 door. So with that in mind i would be flexible on that price, that is just me though.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
NôôB

Dang it OldCutlass lol. Glad we think alike on the prices though.

Also, is that a 2 barrel or a 4 barrel carb on that car?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:46 PM

Hey thanks for the responses. The missing trim is actually in the trunk so i need to have that replaced or put back on.

@sicky olds. I believe it has a two barrel believe it or not. Rocket 455 with a 2 barrel seems crazy. Thanks for the input guys.

I agree with you when u say the market is smaller for this type of vehicle, So you think starting at 5g's and going down to 3,500 is reasonable? I live in Northern California is that makes any difference.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:50 PM

Remember that because they're not very sought after, they're also pretty hard to find for those who do want them. Unless you need to move it quickly, I'd set a higher price and wait ...
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Professur
Remember that because they're not very sought after, they're also pretty hard to find for those who do want them. Unless you need to move it quickly, I'd set a higher price and wait ...
What would you set the asking price at? He isn't in a huge hurry to sell so we can wait a little while.

Do you guys have any sites that are good for selling this type of car? I've always just used Craigslist in the past.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Start with whatever price you feel comfy with, you can always go down. Basically it's just a nice old car with a very large engine. Price of gas plays a big role in selling in your area I would assume.

Craigslist would work, and take it to local car shows and such with a For Sale sign on it.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Start with whatever price you feel comfy with, you can always go down. Basically it's just a nice old car with a very large engine. Price of gas plays a big role in selling in your area I would assume.

Craigslist would work, and take it to local car shows and such with a For Sale sign on it.
Right on, Thanks!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You're an optimist, Jaunty.
I am, and I was wrong. Pictures do matter. I did not expect the missing trim, it appears there's a tear in the front seat on the driver's side seatback, and I didn't expect the paint to be so faded, although a good rubout might fix this. There's also the issue of the missing trim. He says it just needs to be reattached, but why is it off the car in the first place? Also, I notice that the piece of trim on the left front fender is sagging a bit towards the wheel-opening end. Something's going on here with the trim. Also, there are no photos of the passenger side. I'd like to see the trim on that side.

The October 2013 issue of the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '69 Delta 88 Custom 4-door hardtop in "car show" condition (#3) at about $6,700. In #4 condition (runs and drives but needs complete restoration), the value is about $3,000.

I would say that this car is well above #4 but not at #3. I'd say oldcutlass's estimate of $5,000 is a good one based on these values.

As several have noted, 4-doors don't command the interest that 2-door coupes and convertibles do, so you might have to advertise for a while before the right buyer comes along. But a buyer could show up the next day, too. You never know.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by mrbrady22
Hey thanks for the responses. The missing trim is actually in the trunk so i need to have that replaced or put back on.

@sicky olds. I believe it has a two barrel believe it or not. Rocket 455 with a 2 barrel seems crazy. Thanks for the input guys.

I agree with you when u say the market is smaller for this type of vehicle, So you think starting at 5g's and going down to 3,500 is reasonable? I live in Northern California is that makes any difference.
Actually alot of the Delta 88s came with a 2 barrel as they were a family car that people wanted as a gas saver, if it was a 4 barrel then it might have been worth a little bit more, but not much
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM

Is that green or gold?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
Administrator

My opinion on a cars minimum price is if it's presentable and runs well it's worth $3500-5000 no matter what. It can be used for basic transportation with some nostalgic class.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Old School Olds

Exactly like my first car.
Worked all summer to come
up with $400. I was 14.

The salesman was my elementary
principal who worked for Simpson
Olds Buick Pontiac in Tulia Tx.

He quietly took whatever I brought him
and put it in an envelope with my name
on it. My father was pissed to say the least.

455 2bbl. C heads that got a 4bbl. by the time
I got my license....ahhh memories.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:41 PM
Registered Luser

Looks like a nice car, and I for one, love the color combo. Start at $4995......all it takes is one person to like it!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket331
Is that green or gold?
Its green.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Looks like a nice car, and I for one, love the color combo. Start at $4995......all it takes is one person to like it!
Thanks. I will do that, its not s show car by any means but it is surprisingly clean and straight. Its always been kept in a garage so there is no rust whatsoever. Hopefully someone will like it for what it is!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:01 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by jaunty75
There's also the issue of the missing trim. He says it just needs to be reattached, but why is it off the car in the first place? Also, I notice that the piece of trim on the left front fender is sagging a bit towards the wheel-opening end. Something's going on here with the trim.
Looks like 70's style aftermarket glue-on bodyside molding to me. Depending on how much damage it's done to the paint underneath, the best course of action might be to remove it all.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice looking car.

I don't think you'll get near five grand, but if you're patient, who knows?

I agree with Copper - that's cheapo adhesive trim. Use some 3M adhesive remover and get it all off.

Also, there's nothing special or unusual about the low-compression 2bbl 455 - that was the standard motor for that car. All it means is that the buyer didn't want to spring for the optional 98 motor.

- Eric
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by copper128
Looks like 70's style aftermarket glue-on bodyside molding to me. Depending on how much damage it's done to the paint underneath, the best course of action might be to remove it all.
It is the glue on molding. You can see what looks like remnants of two sided tape stuck to the car. I've looked at pics of other 4 door 69 Deltas and I haven't seen any with side moldings. Looks like someone added it. It would probably be best to remove it all and buff and polish the paint.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:06 PM

Oops......I spoke too soon. However, the factory moldings were below the Delta 88 emblem and they were much wider than the ones in these pictures.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by copper128
Looks like 70's style aftermarket glue-on bodyside molding to me.
In looking at it more closely, I agree. It's just the kind of thing someone back in the day might have bought at Two Guys and stuck it on there to protect against parking lot dings.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Or at R&S Strauss.

- Eric
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:38 PM

That is a cool car! I like it that it is a hardtop instead of a sedan. I think $5,000 obo is a good price. Post it on Craigslist and other on-line markets like AutoTrader. I'm sure it will sell.
Old September 24th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Ditch the stick on trim (heat gun and adhesive remover). Clean, polish and detail everything inside, outside and under the hood. Maybe see if an upholstery shop can mend the tear. Then take if to a few local cruise nights with a for sale sign, maybe some car guys would see the worth more than craigslist types searching for a Mustang or Camaro. Or you may find some love for it yourself after doing the clean-up, never going to be a high dollar car.
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
That is a cool car! I like it that it is a hardtop instead of a sedan. I think $5,000 obo is a good price. Post it on Craigslist and other on-line markets like AutoTrader. I'm sure it will sell.
Thanks, hopefully there are some people out there locally that feel the same about it.
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Ditch the stick on trim (heat gun and adhesive remover). Clean, polish and detail everything inside, outside and under the hood. Maybe see if an upholstery shop can mend the tear. Then take if to a few local cruise nights with a for sale sign, maybe some car guys would see the worth more than craigslist types searching for a Mustang or Camaro. Or you may find some love for it yourself after doing the clean-up, never going to be a high dollar car.
Yeah, I have too many projects as it is. I already have to 69 landcruisers that i have to finish when i find the time....and money!

Honestly I'd be happy with anything over $3000. So we shall see.