General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1969 delta 88 2 door custom royale advice

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2014, 08:37 PM

1969 delta 88 2 door custom royale advice

I bought the car for $600. The 455 rocket motor is the 2 barrel one. Knocking badly. Needs complete rebuild.
Heres where I need advice from you guys:
Quoted from $2400 to up to $3000 from shops to rebuild 455 add seals to tranny while there and add a waterpump, clean and paint, shiny and new. How does that price sound ? As well the avg CL mechanic quoted me $1400 to $2000, same story. I didn't know too much about this car before buying, saw it was a two door thought $600 wasn't too bad a deal. Interior is great, just seats ripped up. Needs paint. Body mostly straight all badges and trim there. Glass good. It $600 plus $3000=$3600 a wise choice for this model ? I'm not looking to sell, wanna enjoy my drivable couch but don't want to throw 3k at something not worth it. Thoughts ?
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

3K is a low price for a complete rebuild. Low enough that I wouldn't expect much from it, and would be grateful if it ran at all.

$600 sounds to me like what that car would be worth, if the motor ran well.

A '69 delta would have to be in pretty darned nice shape to be worth $3,600. They're just not in demand.

If you just want to drive it, though, why do you care? Spend $5-6,000 on a good rebuild, another $4-5,000 on a halfway decent paint job, and $500-1,000 on cleaning up the interior, not to mention several thousand more on tires, suspension, brakes, and incidentals, and you'll be all set, though you'll never see a penny of it again.

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:11 PM

could prolly find a cheaper used motor throw it in there and call it a day and over time rebuild the other motor
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:56 PM

Now that I've been slapped around a bit I am concluding the 69 model non desirable, even with the two doors ? Honestly didn't expect that but hey I asked. As far as Delta's are concerned what years and models are desirable and what is it about the 69 that's not. Those were the days when each year was a new body style obviously, not like today where its every 4-8 years, but what about the 69 model wasn't appealing for today ?
Other's chirp in too this is important to me.

Pictures will show soon when I figure it out.
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:06 AM

Where are you at?
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:07 AM

Sin City Nevada
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by teknik22
could prolly find a cheaper used motor throw it in there and call it a day and over time rebuild the other motor
Ya i'd prolly do that if was mine.Nick
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow, I was close in my estimates:

CollectorCarMarketReview says:
2dr Hardtop #5: $525 #4: $1,425 #3: $4,050 #2: $7,100 #1: $10,175

You car is somewhere around a #5 or a bit higher.

All fixed up (but not restored), it will be a #4.

So, how much do you like this car, how much disposable income do you have, and how much do you want to do with it?

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

The 1969 Delta series was a well-built, full-size offering that, sadly, has somewhat limited appeal. Collectors have not embraced them, so the aftermarket manufacturers see no market value to reproduce parts. That forces potential restorers to locate either good used or NOS parts, neither of which is an inexpensive choice. These factors make it unfeasible to waste money restoring a B-body Olds. Harsh, but true.

That being said, if you truly love your car, throw logic out the window and do what you have to to keep her on the road. I think re-powering it with a different motor while you rebuild the 455 as time and money allow sounds like a great solution, if you are equipped to handle that. Motors are out there for cheap that you could drop in and go. Someone here on CO might have a good running engine they don't need that they might be willing to sell.

If, however, you have no sentimental attachment to her, cut your losses and move onto something else. Do not restore a car you do not love! You live in the land of rust-free cars, for God's sake. I guarantee if you look around you'll find something you like and within your budget. Maybe another B-body Olds or perhaps a Toronado.

Keep us posted on what you decide and how you make out.
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Tough choice, if you like the car and can afford to fix it, don't worry about what the resale value is. If you don't move on.
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Old School Olds

I have always liked the 69 88's.
They were a quailty unit for sure.
You can find a good used running
engine if you hunt for one.

But as others pointed out, not yet
embraced, so parts can be difficult
to find, body and chassis wise.

If it's not rusty, I say go for it,
it will be a headturner with paint and wheels.
Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; March 25th, 2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks all with your comments. I have been the type, along with many of you here I am sure, that throws logic out the window.. to a point. Headturner ? Hell yes, I have decided down the line the buick rallye rims look great on these 88's. Daily Driver ? Once maybe twice a week, I have a mitzu Montero for that duty. Old school one too (91 first gen).

Can you tell me, if I decided to throw a cheaper motor in right now, what would instantly mate up to the turbo auto trans that's in there ? Trans shifts smoothly, if a 350 would butt up against it I will do just that...pull the 455 stick her on a stand and take my time (and money) on her.

Thanks !!
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

260, 330, 350, 400, 403, 425, 455.

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:08 PM

I don't think a 260 would pull that delta off a cliff.
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by mike's88
I don't think a 260 would pull that delta off a cliff.
Ha ha, I agree, DON'T use a 260, although
you might find a good one of those for $50.
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Regarding a swap for a 350 since its most likely the best cost friendly option:
1. Does it have to be an Olds 350, or can it be any 350 made by GM
2. Will it just bolt right up to my turbo 400 tranny ?
3. Will my accessories (ps, alt, ac) just bolt right to it ?
4. will my carb bolt on (2 barrel )
5. will my rad hoses match up

Thanks again in advance.
R
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Ancient Olds Lover

I love the bowtie breed, but they do NOT belong between the fenders of a rocket. This is coming from a guy who's owned more Chevrolet's than any other brand (and I've owned a lot of cars).

That Public Service Announcement aside, if you decide to go with a Chevy engine, you should be aware that your Olds TH350 will not bolt up directly. It will require an adapter plate. They're out there and available, but so is an Olds 350 or 330....and those motors are typically inexpensive.

Unless you already have a Chevy 350 on deck, rebuilt and ready to go, I would suggest you stick with an Olds. But she's your car and it's 100% your call. No one will think less of you for doing what you have to do to keep your car on the road. But if all you are looking for is an interim mill while you rebuild the 455, it will be easier for you to keep it all Olds.

Just one man's opinion.
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:39 PM

I like the 2 door '69 Deltas myself & if it is rust free, I'd keep it & drive it. There is a local reputable shop around here that has rebuilt a few Olds. 350s & 455s that have ran well. The basic rebuild price is right at 2K.
If you do switch engines, to keep things easy, I'd stick with an Olds 350. That way everything you are asking about will pretty much be plug & play, rad hoses, trans, & intake(assuming it's a 2bbl also). Exhaust might even be the same? But a 455 really does much better burn outs so get it rebuilt as soon as you can.
Also, we need pictures of the car please.
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:56 PM

I agree with the others that the demand for these old full sized cars is low. They are really nice to drive though. Here's a nice one for sale on my local Craigslist. I think he'll have trouble getting his price. If it were a Cutlass in this condition that would be a different story.

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/4376524981.html

I like the suggestion that you find an Olds 350 to install and keep it a driver. They are plentiful and reasonably price in my part of the country, possibly in your area too. Check out Craigslist for all the areas within driving distance. It would be best if you could hear it run before purchasing. To clarify the answers to your questions:

1) Olds 350 a simple bolt in, other GM makes would require changes/modifications
2) Yes. All the Olds engines Eric mentioned will bolt right into your car.
3) Yes. All the brackets, bolt on parts, etc. will fit with the exception of the intake manifold. Those are different between the small block and big block engines.
4) If you have a 2bbl manifold for the small block yes the carb will bolt right on.
5) There were two different lower radiator hose sizes, depending on which year water pump is on the engine. Otherwise you should be able to use the 455 hoses on the 350.

Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy the project! Let us know whenever questions arise, there's a lot of knowledgeable people on this site.
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:34 PM

I am a big fan of the 69 & 70 Delta 88s. I always hoped to stumble over a W33 equipped one. Hasn't happened. The fact that nobody else wants them makes them more desirable in my mind.

Don't take this wrong, guys, but Cutlasses and 442s are a dime a dozen. I'm not dis'n 'em. I've owned a few myself. Loved 'em. But, when I go to a car show and the field is filled with Cutlass derivatives, they all start to look alike after a while and I am drawn to almost anything that isn't a Cutlass.

A nicely preserved 69 88 is a thing of beauty. Many of them were very opulently equipped for their day. They're very worthy of preservation, if not restoration. Save it. Drive it. Enjoy it. Just don't expect to recoup your costs when you sell it.
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:03 PM

Not to get all mushy here but I have to say this oldsmobile group of people in the three days I have been a member have made me feel damn good about not only this site and forum, but the future with my 88.
I have a gen 1 mitzu Montero that I have rebuilt and had plenty of conversations with the guys at the 4x4 wire forums. They are great guys that I have gotten to know pretty well. But here, again 3 days in, I feel confident that any issue or question I will have on this 69 88 will be eagerly answered and done with respect and honesty. Thank you for that. I owe you all pictures. Now that I have done all the homely chores and redid the landscaping in the front its time to read how to download pics and hope they aren't too big, small or other pic downloading gremlins.
I also just got off the phone with a guy who says he has a new still in wrap olds 350 rocket motor, the heads, and a bunch of stuff to go with it for $1500. Dunno if that's a good price , regardless I don't have the money at the moment anyway.
Anybody out there from Southern Nevada / Vegas / Henderson ? I would love to assist the rebuild with someone, or the changeout of motors, as its something I haven't done before but want to. Let me know..
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Rocket331
I am a big fan of the 69 & 70 Delta 88s. I always hoped to stumble over a W33 equipped one. Hasn't happened. The fact that nobody else wants them makes them more desirable in my mind.

Don't take this wrong, guys, but Cutlasses and 442s are a dime a dozen.
I agree completely. I've owned two '68s, an 88 and a 98, both with the HC 455, and I loved both of them. Fantastic cars.

Of course, I'm also a realist, and would hesitate to pay more than the $375 I paid for the 98 or the $950 I paid for the 88 (well, maybe add 20 years of inflation to those numbers... ).

If you love the car and you have the bucks, do what you want.
If you love the car and you don't have the bucks, keep it realistic.

Originally Posted by DownBoy
I also just got off the phone with a guy who says he has a new still in wrap olds 350 rocket motor, the heads, and a bunch of stuff to go with it for $1500. Dunno if that's a good price...
I would say not.
Sure, a factory-new crate 350 should be worth something like that, but it's probably a smog motor, which is undesirable, and, in a practical sense, who is going to pay $1,500 for a new stock 350 when they could put that toward building a 455?

I've bought running or able-to-run 350s from $50 to $350. Prices in your area may vary, and engines are a decidedly local market, but don't overspend here - you can do that when rebuilding your 455.

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM

Just for kicks, I took a look at my local craigslist. I found a 260 for $100, a 455 for $375, a 76 455 with 70,000 miles that was "good running when removed" for $750. I'd guess you could find similar ones in your area.
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:56 AM

I was gonna say i knew of a '71 455 2V but i'm in the ATL...think you can find one a lot closer to home! And stick with it...running any B-body, ESPECIALLY a BOP B-body, is a true labor of love!
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:54 AM

1969 delta 88 2 door custom royale
A quick clarification is in order here.

There is no such thing as a 1969 Delta 88 "Custom Royale." There were three Delta 88 lines in 1969, the base Delta 88, Delta 88 Custom, and Delta 88 Royale. So you can have a Delta 88 Custom or a Delta 88 Royale, but I don't believe you can have both (in the same car).

The "Custom" version of the Delta 88 began in 1967 and continued through the '71 model year. The "Royale" version began with the '69 model year with a single body-style offering, that being a 2-door hardtop. In the early '70s, it was the version of the Delta 88 you needed to buy if you wanted a convertible. In 1980, an upscale version of the Delta 88 Royale, called the Delta 88 Royale Brougham, was introduced.

Here's the relevant page out of the '69 Olds brochure. Note the Delta 88 Custom and Royale lines on the lower left side.

Last edited by jaunty75; March 26th, 2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thank you Jaunty.

Things like that make me mean, but in trying not to jump on people about them.

- Eric
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Jaunty,
That is good stuff. Im pretty sure now mine is the Royale then , badges all over and a vinyl top. The rear trunk lid has a "custom" badge on it but I believe the lid to be from a different car, as it has different texture paint and color is a bit lighter. Figures, cause in my trunk is a box with all the "oldsmobile" lettering and a larger "royale," all that seem to have been painstakingly removed from prior lid by prior owner, which also tells me he must have been meticulous. Good stuff, info, THANK YOU !!
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Old School Olds

Pretty cool.
Olds in it's hayday. "30 models available for '69."
Thanks for posting Jaunty.
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:17 PM

I put a 73 Olds 350 2 bbl in a 68 98 back in the early eighties. Everything fit and it seemed to be plenty of power. The only thing that was cobbled up was the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold- I had to elongate the holes to mate the larger 455 pipe to the smaller 350 manifold (had single exhaust) I also had a Omega at the same time with a 69 455 in it. I defiantly had enough power!!
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:48 PM

Waiting game right now on decision, as the previous owner and I are in discussion to possibly rebuild the 455 now, instead of later. He knows the car, we struck up a good relationship during the transaction, lets see where this goes. I nixed the $1500 olds 350 wrapped engine, so its either rebuild my 455 or put something else in there while waiting....
Been reading a lot to educate myself more on these engines and the oil travel difficulties I have been reading about throughout the engine has my ear. As well as the fitting of new pistons, crank, etc inside this motor, which, if I need to bore out, how will all this fit. Seems like historically the 455 is a motor that ya just don't throw parts in, you have to put parts in that fit correctly.
Long day going to bed..
Thanks again all..
Old March 27th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... the oil travel difficulties I have been reading about throughout the engine has my ear.
Huh?

I know of no such problems.

As well as the fitting of new pistons, crank, etc inside this motor, which, if I need to bore out, how will all this fit. Seems like historically the 455 is a motor that ya just don't throw parts in, you have to put parts in that fit correctly.
Am I crazy or do you have to use parts that fit whenever you fix something?

Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Those are two bizarre statements.

- Eric
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:02 AM

maybe the most logical statement was "long day going to bed".
R