General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need Some Help On A Water Pump Pulley

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2024, 12:39 PM

Need Some Help On A Water Pump Pulley

Just replaced the original short shaft pump with a long shaft pump (only offering from aftermarket local store) and I’m trying to determine the correct pulley to use in place of the original. From the research I have done over the last week it seems that the correct pulley would be for an A/C equipped vehicle with power steering or for a big block but it doesn’t seem to be always consistant on the forums. Mine has neither from the factory but I don’t mind having the extra groove if necessary. I just can’t seem to narrow down the actual part number needed. Also if I need to change the crank pulley that’s fine also. Nothing seems to be available aftermarket with the exception of billet pulleys and serpentine kits. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old March 6th, 2024, 02:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

First, there are THREE different Olds water pump lengths (5.1", 5.6", and 6.1"), not just "short" and "long". Second, without knowing, year, model, and options (PS and/or A/C), it's impossible to provide a useful answer. Keep in mind that you need not only the correct offset, but also the correct diameter, which likely would mean changing both crank and water pump pulleys. The reality is that it's going to be far easier to return the wrong pump and get the correct one than to chase down a pulley that probably doesn't exist for an application that was not factory.

Old March 7th, 2024, 10:12 AM

It’s a 66 F85 Deluxe with a 330 with no A/C, no PS, no smog. Alternator only. As I mentioned, if it has to have an extra groove that’s not a problem. The measurement from the pump housing to the end of the pulley hub is as measured in the first picture from the timing cover. Seeing as this is the only option they offered it’s proving to be a pain either way. I’ve read multiple times that the longer shafts have higher flow which is beneficial when we do some minor modifications in the future.

Measured from timing cover

From pump case at base of shaft
Old March 7th, 2024, 10:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

The first measurement is the one that matters. That's a 5.6" pump. Your car would have come with a 5.1" pump. The pump you want is an Airtex AW773 or GMB 130-2773. Amazon can probably get one of those to you in a few days. That's still going to be faster than finding the right pulley. Hopefully you didn't turn in the old pump as a core.
Old March 7th, 2024, 06:37 PM

Amazon Amazon

Old March 8th, 2024, 02:14 AM
Banned

I even have connected a percent I saved from somewhere so I can’t well known the original poster?! I have the exact same setup, proper now. The crank inner pulley aligns with the tensioner. The ahead crank pulley aligns with my Hitachi alternator. My water pump has the equal 4 bolt configuration to acquire a pulley that need to align with my internal crank pulley and tensioner.

Tutuapp 9Apps

Last edited by Rellsad; March 8th, 2024 at 06:39 AM.
Old March 8th, 2024, 07:08 AM

I really appreciate the help on this. Thanks for taking the time.