General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Opgi

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2023, 07:30 AM

Opgi

Just wondering what ya all are experiencing.

Placed an order for some interior parts for my 1978 Cutlass in June. Stuff still not here.

No one else has either..

Whats the dirt?? Did the boat sink from China?

Fred
Old December 8th, 2023, 07:36 AM

Have you called them? I've heard from other people on this site that sometimes OPGI will list a part as "in Stock" when in fact it is backordered.
Old December 8th, 2023, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
Have you called them? I've heard from other people on this site that sometimes OPGI will list a part as "in Stock" when in fact it is backordered.

placed the order in JUne.

Oh have asked many many times all they say is backordered.. WTF??

Boat from Taiwan or India sank..

Fred
Old December 8th, 2023, 07:52 AM

What did you order from them?

Actually, for me it wouldn't matter. After 6 months, I'd be cancelling the order if at all possible.

Many people keep forgetting that there is still a "semi quiet" trade war still going on with China.

Last edited by chip-powell; December 8th, 2023 at 08:05 AM.
Old December 8th, 2023, 09:40 AM

I wouldn't buy a bag of popcorn from OPGI.
Old December 8th, 2023, 09:56 AM

I've bought allot of great parts from them in the past. Just nothing lately. Are they over-priced compared to other distributors...yes. But I have never had a fitment issue with anything that I have gotten from them.
Old December 8th, 2023, 09:56 AM
Past owned:

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442

Agree. Always on back order, and everything IS overpriced!
Old December 8th, 2023, 10:37 AM

I avoid ordering items showing "coming soon" if I can possibly avoid it. For me, it's mostly about avoiding multiple shipments as that adds too much cost for me bringing them across the border but also I'd rather not wait indefinitely for parts I need.

Sometimes other suppliers have the parts on hand and ready to ship, just have to do a bit of searching. I found their prices to generally be lower than elsewhere although you have to make sure you're comparing the same part from the same manufacturer rather than something that looks the same but might not be the same quality. "Generally" lower though, as some basic things are way overpriced. It's like shopping at Walmart - the advertising suggests that everything's going to be the best possible price, but even Wallyworld gouges on many commonly bought items.
Old December 8th, 2023, 02:55 PM
Banned

Good to know
Old December 9th, 2023, 04:01 AM

x2
Old December 9th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Past owned:

Guys,
Another one to watch out for is Motor City Supercars. I believe they are part of the Inline Tube banner. Always the incorrect items on their listings/ads. They also have the worst customer service, and fail to return your money. Buyer beware!
Old December 9th, 2023, 10:32 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by crossboss
Guys,
Another one to watch out for is Motor City Supercars. I believe they are part of the Inline Tube banner. Always the incorrect items on their listings/ads. They also have the worst customer service, and fail to return your money. Buyer beware!
Odd, as the only problem I've had with ILT is that their parts aren't always an exact fit.
Old December 9th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Past owned:

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Odd, as the only problem I've had with ILT is that their parts aren't always an exact fit.

Yeah, that is their biggest issue.
Old December 10th, 2023, 07:37 AM

In my experiences with both OPGI and Inline Tube/Motor City Supercars, I know OPGI is typically higher priced than most of the other retailers. I wait for sales before I buy anything from them. I've never had incorrect parts nor fitment issues from OPGI. For ILT/MCSC, again I've never had incorrect parts sent, but have had a couple fitment issues that were easily corrected. It is a bummer that so many others seem to have had bad experiences with these two outfits. Thankfully it has not been my experience.
Old December 10th, 2023, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by crossboss
Yeah, that is their biggest issue.
No, their biggest issue is they treat you like a dumbass when their parts suck. You must give the customer the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, else they will shame you in the public arena as a personal matter.
Old December 10th, 2023, 09:58 AM

I bought from Ames Performance the "Pontiac People" for any parts that were applicable to my Olds A-body builds. Great prices and service...
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:31 PM
Past owned:

Originally Posted by Koda
No, their biggest issue is they treat you like a dumbass when their parts suck. You must give the customer the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, else they will shame you in the public arena as a personal matter.

Oh, yeah they 'tried' to pull that crap. The idiot on the other end did not know what hit him. Also, my credit card reversed every penny. I will never do business with any company that treats a customer that way.
Old December 10th, 2023, 06:00 PM

My problem with OPGI was over $5,yes $5. That $5 cost them my business and when I get the chance I tell others not to buy from them. I am a principled guy.
Old December 11th, 2023, 10:01 AM
Past owned:

My problem with OPGI was over $5,yes $5. That $5 cost them my business and when I get the chance I tell others not to buy from them. I am a principled guy.

I am with you brother!
Old December 11th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Past owned:

I have for years delt with many vendors across the board for all sorts of parts, even for my Brand X cars. Some vendors are good, some bad, and ugly. Once you find a good/excellent one I stick with them...even if they are a few bucks more. To 'me' awesome customer service is paramount. I'm sure you guys feel the same.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 09:42 AM

OPGI SUCKS..I am in the middle of a dispute because they back ordered and allowed me to cancel the order..Which I did, 20 days later no refund to my paypal account.I called them and they claim it’s paypal. So now paypal is trying to get my money back as they said it wasn’t credited to them or me..terrible service, they won’t answer emails, you wait online 35-40 minutes to get someone who just acts like they could care less, then lies and days it was credited..
Old March 8th, 2024, 09:35 AM

Backorder from July 2021

I've been waiting for the front seal on a convert top since my very first order from them.. luckily it's on a $40 part and isn't crucial to driving the car... Just would be nice not to have a towel in the backseat in case it rains or for when I wash it. The only communication they have is automated and never correct. After the first year mark the only reason I didn't cancel it was because I got curious about how long it will actually take... I mean c'mon this seal fits every conv a body and they can't wrangle up a single one?
Old March 8th, 2024, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by BradleyScott
I've been waiting for the front seal on a convert top since my very first order from them.. ?
Id be calling the other suppliers. There are multiple manufactures of seals for these cars.

F*&% OPGI , Inline, and OldsParts for their crappy customer service and attitudes

Old March 8th, 2024, 11:42 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

if it's the same one as my '72 ragtop, it's on backorder with no ETA - I've had it on order for months when first buying it on a sale price. Not an emergency in my case either, just a stand-by for when I finally need a new top. I get periodic email updates on the status but not looking like it's coming anytime soon.

I will say I've had decent OPGI experiences for the most part and they've been quick to ship anything readily in stock. So if I come across another top seal buy I'll simply cancel OPGI's but not in a rush yet.
Old March 8th, 2024, 03:16 PM

I ordered Wheels in June 2021 from OPGI…still on back order. I think the price has gone up and they want me to cancel to save them money…I get monthly msgs…eta pending…
Old March 8th, 2024, 04:24 PM

Opgi

I learned real quick that unless it says ready to ship in the checkout cart, don't even order from there. Anything like backorder, drop ship, available BY xxx date, ect. Stay clear of.

Now I'm wondering how many ppl they have done that too. I assumed nobody else would be in the same predicament timewise but if there's already ppl responding within a few hours, I'd say that is a likely indicator of a bunch of us are probably waiting 2-3 years. Which is crazy. I just expected the part or someone from the company reaching out at say the 6/12/18 month marks verifying that yea im okay with still waiting or offering a different resolution. I sell wheels and tires all day. I couldn't imagine having to make a phone call to someone that's backordered anything for 3 years without an ongoing phone call or email relationship.

​​​​​
Old March 8th, 2024, 05:01 PM

It strikes me that they're not even making an effort to source these backordered items. If they take your money they better be proactive in filling your order.

I'm glad I only bought items that were in stock, on the shelves and ready for shipping...not only from them, but from Fusick, OldsParts, Summit and others. Making anyone wait for those sort of timelines is criminal.
Old March 8th, 2024, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by BradleyScott
I've been waiting for the front seal on a convert top since my very first order from them.. luckily it's on a $40 part and isn't crucial to driving the car... Just would be nice not to have a towel in the backseat in case it rains or for when I wash it. The only communication they have is automated and never correct. After the first year mark the only reason I didn't cancel it was because I got curious about how long it will actually take... I mean c'mon this seal fits every conv a body and they can't wrangle up a single one?
Go to eBay and search for the seal and buy Metro Molded parts. You will get a great seal and eBays buyer protection plan and pay with paypal for extra protection.
Old March 9th, 2024, 05:03 AM

Annnd.....there's always this. Depending on how bad they want to make someone follow the rules.

FTC doesn't like people that charge your card and then keep your money for months. And even if they don't charge your card "until it ships", if they don't meet certain conditions, i.e., your approval, they can't even do that for long. These companies you order from taking 6 months or more and not shipping items or automatically giving updates are 90% likely of breaking the 30-day rule (50 day rule if you apply for credit with the merchant to buy the items).

Business Guide to the FTC's Mail, Internet, or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule | Federal Trade Commission

There's this intersting snippet inside for vendors as to why it's a good idea not to keep people's money:

Why You Should Comply with the Rule

Merchants who violate the Rule can be sued by the FTC for injunctive relief, monetary civil penalties of up to $51,744 per violation (any time during the five years preceding the filing of the complaint), and consumer redress (any time during the three years preceding the filing of the complaint). When the mails are involved, the Postal Service also has authority to take action for problems such as non-delivery. State law enforcement agencies can take action for violating state consumer protection laws.

Apart from this, your failure to ship on time, or your failure to notify your customers promptly about delays and to obtain their consent to the delays, or your failure to make full and prompt refunds when your customers do not consent to delayed shipment, can adversely affect your business by discouraging repeat purchases. Accordingly, most businesses regard compliance with the Rule as simply good business practice.

Last edited by 69HO43; March 9th, 2024 at 05:19 AM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 05:22 AM
Past Administrator

I think I saw that the guys that started Inline Tube were those two brothers involved in the W-43 although I might be mistaken. At first thought you would think that guys like that would be solid. Oh well...
Old March 9th, 2024, 06:22 AM
71 cutlass convertible

The best thing about opgi is the color catalog.
Old March 9th, 2024, 08:26 AM

I have found this to be a useful tool when dealing with lowlife vendors or people. I have never had to file a complaint with the FBI because the threat of it got the job done.

https://www.ic3.gov/

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; March 9th, 2024 at 08:58 AM.