Window Crank Frustration!!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:27 AM

Window Crank Frustration!!!!

Hey guys, I've owned a dozen AMC vehicles, and this is my venture into Oldsmobiles. I just sold a 79 Hurst Olds Clone, my first Olds ever andit was really real looking right down to the interior. Anyway, I took window cranks off that one no problem. just bought an original paint, interior REAL R code black/gold Hurst Olds and can't get window cranks off! My other car had those horseshoe retainers that clipped into slits in the crank, I get that, but on this one, looking behind the door panel with flashlight and glasses I CAN'T SEE nothing on either. Is there something else I'm missing, or has some jack wagon glued them on. I appreciate anyone's advice as I'm about to cut them off.

Last edited by Olds64; December 2nd, 2016 at 05:42 AM. Reason: No cussing please!
Old December 2nd, 2016, 05:48 AM

Manual window cranks should all be the same. You can buy replacement parts in the HELP section at any auto parts store. Double check for that retaining clip.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 05:52 AM

Here's the tool, some people use a rag to get the clips off. I sure hope the P.O didn't use gorilla glue
Old December 2nd, 2016, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I sure hope the P.O didn't use gorilla glue
That would suck!
Old December 2nd, 2016, 05:57 AM

BTW You shouldn't have to look behind the door panels just push the panel in near the crank
Old December 2nd, 2016, 05:57 AM

Here's the tool, some people use a rag to get the clips off. I sure hope the P.O didn't use gorilla glue
Yeah gto that tool and like said took off my other Cutlass Calais cranks which I could see the clips easy.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:00 AM

BTW You shouldn't have to look behind the door panels just push the panel in near the crank
Yeah that's what I meant, the top door panel of course is vinyl and puffy, so i pushed that in on both sides, put my glasses on with light and saw no clips like on my other calais.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 08:07 AM
Olds Fever

By any chance are they aftermarket handles utilizing a set screw of some sort...
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:38 AM

Sometimes the clip is hard to see. I just replaced mine and it took some finess to remove them. The tool is da bomb though. It works really well.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

If these are stock window cranks, there is no other way to retain them. They MUST have clips. Be aware that the clip may have been installed in either direction.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If these are stock window cranks, there is no other way to retain them. They MUST have clips. Be aware that the clip may have been installed in either direction.
Good point Joe [as usual] FWIW most of the times I've removed them, I've never seen them. Somehow they go "bling" into places unknown
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Good point Joe [as usual] FWIW most of the times I've removed them, I've never seen them. Somehow they go "bling" into places unknown
I have occasionally found the handle stuck on the shaft after the clip goes flying across the garage. Wiggling the handle eventually breaks it loose.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:17 PM

Many came with a plastic protector between the crank handle and interior panel. If you are looking between the plastic protector and panel you will not see the clip. If you look between the crank handle and plastic protector you should see the clip.

Sean
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:23 PM

Even at that they can be really hard to see. I changed mine out today and 1 was really hard to see.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by seansolds
Many came with a plastic protector between the crank handle and interior panel. If you are looking between the plastic protector and panel you will not see the clip. If you look between the crank handle and plastic protector you should see the clip.

Sean
Actually, ALL of them left the factory with the plastic protector. These often get "lost" if the handles come off later.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by firstoldsmobile
Is there something else I'm missing, or has some jack wagon glued them on. I appreciate anyone's advice as I'm about to cut them off.
I had a Grand Prix that had the crank handles held on with JB Weld. Ripped the handles to pieces getting them off with channel locks. No telling what a PO might have done. Good luck.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, ALL of them left the factory with the plastic protector. These often get "lost" if the handles come off later.

Many just refers to an indefinite number Joe, more importantly the content of the description was focused primarily to the op's question. If you are saying every protector went on every car I would have a difficult time believing you only because of Human Error or lack Of the proper parts and hardware. I have personally worked on several cars missing interior screws, factory molding windshield clips missing. Unmolested cars, you know those one owner prestine vehicles untouched by anyone else's hands. If you say all, I say only in utopia. But does it really matter anyways.

Sean