The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Tree Hugger v. Muscle car

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Tree Hugger v. Muscle car

In response to the Cash for Clunkers thread, I figured I'll tell everybody a quick story which involved my Delta and a Pruis

So I take the Delta to the Vet's office to pick up the dog and I park my 350 ci getting 8 MPG next to a Pruis Hybrid. This vet does a lot of alternative medicines and such. My wife's parents have been taking dogs to this lady for years.

At the same time I pull up and park, the Pruis owner happens to be comming out with her 2 lb but full grown dog.

I'm walking from the driver's side of my Delta to start to walk into the office when I walk past the lady with a really disgusted look on her face. I really think nothing of it because I live in a very rich area and 20+ year old cars are looked down upon anyway.

Suddenly I hear "You ought to be ashamed of yourself!"
"Who, Me?"
"Yes, you. Driving around this horrid, gas guzzling, poulltion mobile"
"Lady, that's none of your business"
"Yes it is!! I care about the enviroment"
"So I guess it would bother you to know that it's running leaded gas too, huh?"
"What!! You're a monster"
"Really, so I guess 8 MPG isn't good either"
"You should be shot"
"Well it is a Hybrid"
"What no it isn't"
Yes it is"
"How?"
"It burns Oil and Rubber and eat little homo (other word used) Pruis's for lunch"
*gasp*
"I told you to mind your own f***king business lady, now get in your homo (other word used) and go home"
"I'm reporting you to the EPA"
"Goes ahead, don't forget to mention the car has 'Classic' plates" (emissions exempt)

I walk away like this

Can't wait to get another project
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Oh yeah.
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Olds-Can

Talking

Great story I wish you could have taken a pic of her face after all that!!
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Power to the Olds people
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM

You need to send that one to Jay Leno!!!!!!!!! LOL!
Old August 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up

Old August 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Thumbs up

Nice!
That was someone who probably wastes more in something else than you would in gas... Geez. If she was in dallas, TX, starting an arguement like that would have definely endangered her.
You should have just put the prio in your trunk and drove off with it...

You mean you did not do a rubber burning demo?? Bad Redog...
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Ask the lady one simple question;

What does it cost the environment to build the battery in your POS.

I'm sure she doesn't know or care but it's an amazing subject to look into.

Not to mention what happens to the battery when it goes "Tango Uniform."

http://boortz.com/nealz_nuze/2009/06...tric-cars.html
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:27 PM

You know that's 100% true.

A Hybrid is worse for the environment than a diesal truck!

Hybrid emit more greenhouse gases and the battery pack are going to be a problem in a few years when they go bad.

I really shouldn't talk, I've had cars with batteries. Anybody remember Tyco R/C cars and Stomper 4x4's
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Don't sweat it Redog,She probably sits in her window at home waiting for someone to fart so she can report them. I wish people would mind there own business.
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM

I love messing with the superficial "holier than thou" crowd. I usually ignore them. But if they're extra persistent in soapboxing their lifestyle choices, I ask them "How much do you know about the first law of thermodynamics?" After a second or two of a blank look on their face I just tell 'em to google it and then we'll debate.

I'm no certainly physicist, but it usually knocks 'em down a rung. Only one person actually called me on it and we ended up having a very stimulating discussion.
Old August 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Redog
You know that's 100% true.

A Hybrid is worse for the environment than a diesal truck!

Hybrid emit more greenhouse gases and the battery pack are going to be a problem in a few years when they go bad.

I really shouldn't talk, I've had cars with batteries. Anybody remember Tyco R/C cars and Stomper 4x4's
I won't work for those people no matter how much they beg, have tons of cash and stiff you every time, if their lawyers you end up owing them money.

I love Stomper 4x4's, I sold my collection on evilbay in it's golden age and made big bucks.

I want a bumper sticker that says "Drive a Prius..more gas for me!"
Old August 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog
Don't sweat it Redog,She probably sits in her window at home waiting for someone to fart so she can report them. I wish people would mind there own business.
Trust me I don't, by the time I said it was running on leaded gas, I was having fun with her
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Oldsdruid

And the Pious crowd wonders why people think they're loony. I haven't met one yet who wasn't holier than thou. A guy over on AACA.org forums preaches the gospel of Pious constantly and has really alienated the old car crowd over there. Just this week he told me I was delusional for being unwilling to accept the hybrid car as savior of the planet, when the real issue was I told him I didn't want it legislated down my throat.

When you told her it was none of her business, she should have stopped right then and there and gone about her own. But people like that constantly think they have to judge others' choices in life. Indeed, they think they have the RIGHT to do so...

The only bad thing is busybodies like that will now go na-na-na-ing to their legislators trying to get classic/antique plates outlawed. Stupid ****** can't fathom that these cars are rarely daily drivers and as such emit roughly the same pollution as their eco-mobiles in the grand scheme of things.
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Stupid ****** can't fathom that these cars are rarely daily drivers and as such emit roughly the same pollution as their eco-mobiles in the grand scheme of things.
X2 on the rest. I'd actually be surprised if they even produce THAT much.
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM

I used to make fun of some of my friend's lesser cars by reciting a cool quote from a "Police Academy" film: "Oh nice car - where do you put the batteries?!?!"

Too bad it actually came to that... I never would have thought...

To the tree hugger: My neighbor and I were trying to fix his lawn mower this evening and spilled a bunch of gas. I also put insecticide and fungicide on my lawn!!
I bet she is finding it hard to sleep now!
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I got fired from a job over this once. A contractor said: "It's about time for that Olds to go to the junkyard isn't it?" "You gotta think smart nowadays with the gas situation." "You should look into one of those Priuses."
I then said: "Psssh! those are *** cars."
Apparently, he just bought one and was NOT amused. Asked me to leave the job site the next day.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Not old but Olds

I have noticed that people in the prius crowd would stare at me funny when I would be idling next to them at a stoplight. I always though they were jealous that I was driving a bad @$$ Olds and they were stuck in a little wuss car. I never though that they may be judging me. This sheds new light on those weird looks.

Next time I will make sure and make amends to them and recycle some tire into the asphalt. I use to work in a purified water store, a lady came in one day and had some old bottles that were leaking she asked me "will you take these old bottles" and I said "ya", She then asked me if we recycled them, I told here "ya we will recycle them back into good old mother earth" the look on her face was priceless. I close my eyes and picture it and it still makes me laugh.

What irked me the most is when I use to live in Sun Valley Idaho. Everyone there is on the green trend but they live in 10000 square foot homes that burn 100000 dollars worth of natural gas a year that they only stay in for a few weeks out of the year. Then they will stand on the soap box and tell the common man that we are ruining the environment because we burn 1/100 percent of the gas in our lives that they do in a year. Hypocrites to the bone... I am waiting for the day that someone calls me out. We will have words.

Last edited by 69OldsCutlassS; August 10th, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:39 AM

I really hate the hybrid vehicles. I wouldn't want to own one in 10 years when the electric motor goes bad. Just think of the repair cost!

The other thing is that they get lousy gas mileage when you compare them to early to mid 90s econ box cars ie. Dodge Colt, Geo Metro, Hyundai Excel etc. Does anyone else wonder why people make such a bid deal about these new "green" cars when they aren't doing much better than cars did 15 years ago?
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Just ask then which land fill gets their toxic batterys when the die. Then ask them if they are willing to live near said land fill with the two headed frogs and 5 leg cows.
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
"Really, so I guess 8 MPG isn't good either"
I'm certainly no fan of self-righteous hybrid drivers, but I'm not sure I'd be bragging about 8 MPG. Here's a data point. My crewcab dually weighs 7,000 lbs (I've had it on the scale). It has over 210,000 miles on it. It has the added weight and drag of 4WD. It has a 454. With my heavy right foot, I still get upwards of 10 MPG.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM

I had a prius down to 9mpg once
It's all about getting noticed , the new honda insight lookslike a prius, the tahoe hybrid has so many stickers and badges you can't miss seeing its a hybrid. Look at me I'm a good person
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Good for you! My neighbor just turned me in to my HOA because I have "too many" cars. She drives around in her pretty little Solara convertible. I know she did it because she doesn't like my old cars. Some people have nothing better to do than to complain about everything.
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:39 AM

I'm glad there isn't a home owner's association in my neighborhood. Too bad your neighbor is a commie!
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I'm glad there isn't a home owner's association in my neighborhood. Too bad your neighbor is a commie!
haha, yeah I know. I've had a lot of problems over the years with my HOA. Now I have to sell at least one of my Olds. It will probably be the Custom Cruiser. I just need to finish some stuff up on it so I can get a decent price!
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Joeypete
haha, yeah I know. I've had a lot of problems over the years with my HOA. Now I have to sell at least one of my Olds. It will probably be the Custom Cruiser. I just need to finish some stuff up on it so I can get a decent price!

Your HOA limits the number of cars you can have on your own property? I assume they are all licensed and registered. I'm curious as to the exact provision that you are allegedly violating.
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM

It gets worse...
There was a HOA in Dallas somewhere that tells you what kind of car can actually be exposed ON your property! American trucks were not allowed outside the garage, for example. One guy had a $47K Ford pickup who was being harrassed as it was being kept on his own driveway...
Now THAT is commie!!

Glad I do not have to deal with that. Never will either.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 11th, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Your HOA limits the number of cars you can have on your own property? I assume they are all licensed and registered. I'm curious as to the exact provision that you are allegedly violating.
Yes our "bylaws" state 2 cars per house because they all have 2 car garages. You can have more with approval, of course since most of them are 3 bedrooms you could potentially have 3 adults living in one house with 1 car each. They told me I could have 3, one extra basically because it's just my roommate and I. It's all because of my neighbor though, she complained and they took notice. Otherwise they would never really find out. She was complaining that I was taking up all the guest parking spaces next to my unit (these are townhouses). I was because no one used the damn spaces for weeks at a time so I figured why not....sheesh.

Just last month I got a letter stating I had too many garbage cans too....I have 4, they only allow 2. Good grief....I'm telling ya.

Problem is most of my neighbors are retired and they have nothing else to do but walk around the complex and turn people in for things. Ugh...

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
It gets worse...
There was a HOA in Dallas somewhere that tells you what kind of car can actually be exposed ON your property! American trucks were not allowed, for example. One guy had a $47K Ford pickup who was being harrassed...
Now THAT is commie!!

Glad I do not have to deal with that. Never will either.
WTF??? That's insane...why the heck would they approve something like that?
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM

BTW Joey, tell your neighbor b**** to do something constructive with her life. She should get a somewhat attractive car also...

Yea we have 'stay at home moms' around here that go complaining about everything also. They should get a life as well...
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM

I have 10 acres in Fort Erie,Ontario,Canada.which is right at the Peace Bridge that crosses into Buffalo.We can have as many cars as we like as long as there licensed and insured and registered to the property owner.However I have a 4 car garage but am not allowed to store cars in it.
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Registered Luser

BTW Joey, tell your neighbor b**** to do something constructive with her life. She should get a somewhat attractive car also...

Yea we have 'stay at home moms' around here that go complaining about everything also. They should get a life as well...
Rob, Dallas F-ing Texas won't let you park a Ford AMERICAN TRUCK in your driveway??!!!! Dude, get out of there quick, or you'll be forced to drive a Toyota Princess....By the way, I just lost all respect for your wussy city!!
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Oldsdruid

And exactly what, pray tell, do these pinheads think a garage is to be used for?

Back to OP- when she started and before you engaged her, you should have made a quick 911 call and reported you were being harassed and verbally abused by someone unknown to you, and then watched her try to explain her way out of it.

Joeypete- it's because when the covenants were written, trucks were considered to be work vehicles. There's a high-end neighborhood here that does the same stupidity, and the frickin Ford dealer lives in it. He's also one of the most vocal about the truck prohibition. Stupid SOB doesn't realise it has cost him sales. It's not a good Ford store either
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Rob, Dallas F-ing Texas won't let you park a Ford AMERICAN TRUCK in your driveway??!!!!
Some of the HOAs there are rediculous.
They said the imppy trucks are "less truck looking". I say they are just anti-American and should be abollished.

Dude, get out of there quick,
If it was not for the abundance of good jobs in my field, I would have been out long ago!

I just lost all respect for your wussy city!!
I lost that years ago...
I remember being on a vacation tour and everyone was introducing themselves and where we came from... When one said California, the rest cheered. When one said Colorado, they cheered. Canada or Oregon - they cheered. I said Dallas - it was quiet with a hint of a boo...
It stinks being here but it pays to keep me restoring... Luckily my neighborhood does not restrict cars much at all. If they are on the street, they just need to be running and registered. When I retire, I am outta here.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 12th, 2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Captain of my ship

HOA

That's the problem with living in townhouses or apartment complexes and duplexes and the like.They generally have the right to tell you how many parking spaces you are allowed and how many vehicles you can keep on the property , there is really nothing you can do about it cause they have it in writing and if you challenge it it would just cause you grief and time wasted.I would just move and find a house with enough room to park your cars. here i can park as many cars as I can get in my garage and driveway.Sometimes it's good to live out in the sticks
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Sometimes it's good to live out in the sticks

Amen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 016.jpg (68.5 KB, 15 views)
Picture 019.jpg (131.2 KB, 16 views)
Picture 020.jpg (76.3 KB, 14 views)
Picture 023.jpg (95.4 KB, 23 views)
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:14 AM

It is a real bummer that people have trouble with home owner's associations.

I spoke with a friend at work and he and I both agree that the government is moving us all to driving these little rice boxes. It's one thing to have the option to drive a certain car, it is another thing if they force you to drive a certain car.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Sometimes it's good to live out in the sticks
Yupper. After living on a 45 ft by 100 ft lot in SoCal, I bought a 55 acre farm in Northern VA. My wife thinks the farm is for her horses...
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM

I remember what I had recently said to one dope who suggested I quit working on my old cars and just get a new imp one:

"Anyone with a little brains would know that restoring an old car is reusing & recycling at its best. All of the energy going into it is from my own body. Most of my spent $$ is also kept in the US, keeping American run (and owned!) parts companies in business. Any questions?"

She went away like a dog whacked with a rolled-up newspaper...
(BTW, that was our last date! )
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

I remember what I had recently said to one dope who suggested I quit working on my old cars and just get a new imp one:

"Anyone with a little brains would know that restoring an old car is reusing & recycling at its best. All of the energy going into it is from my own body. Most of my spent $$ is also kept in the US, keeping American run (and owned!) parts companies in business. Any questions?"
So I guess you don't use Chinesium patch panels.

Seriously, there used to be an old tee shirt that said: "Hotrodders, the original recyclers"
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM

haha, nice Rob! Very true though. However I wasn't very happy when I removed my original "made in the USA" shocks and replaced them with "made in Mexico" shocks...LOL

I guess in a small sense I'm a tree hugger too. Not to an extreme extent of course, but I like to do as much as I can to help our environment. My little Focus runs on ethanol, though controversial, is still renewable and is made right here. I see old cars as history, not a big rusty piece of metal junk. But of course there are those that only like what's new and fresh, and that's their choice. I don't want to be judged for owning an old car however. Most people are very fascinated by older cars thankfully...I get a lot of compliments actually.

Quick Reply: Tree Hugger v. Muscle car