The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Tree Hugger v. Muscle car

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Captain of my ship

Great white north

it is true that the North West Territories have a lot of possabilities for rare earth minerals as they do for other things like diamonds and Uranium etc. what this means is the development of the north beyond what it is now and the destruction of an ecosystem that is already under stress.It will be no different than the pipeline from Alaska to transport oil affecting migration routes of caribou. They will just work around the problems and say it's green energy so it's ok.pretty hard to stay up on your high horse when the approach is the same as everyone elses.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Willidog
Most of the Prius's that I see out here in SOCAL have Obama stickers on them. I think the dealers are putting the stickers on to increase sales. HAHA Pulled up beside one the other day and had to gun the engine out of the light to give them some real exhaust fumes!
#1: In Europe, there are about 5 different cars capable of getting as good mileage as a Prius or the Honda. Main differences: Prius is MUCH heavier (batteries) & has LESS room (batteries) AND are more expensive!
#2: I like to wait 'till it's either an old guy or certain women (you can tell which kind!), then use my line loc & smoke 'em!

Ralph
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM

[quote=German442;104936#2: I like to wait 'till it's either an old guy or certain women (you can tell which kind!), then use my line loc & smoke 'em!
Ralph[/quote]
Do that with anyone in one of those silly baby buggies... Drown 'em in tire smoke and exhaust fumes!!

With the rare metals used in those battery-powered cars, imagine the rapid rising parts costs! Looks like a disaster to me - I will stick with dino juice...
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Don't worry guys. Soon enough the present administration will let us know what we can drive and when.
When is "soon enough?"

What other BS do you believe?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM

Just picked up my olds 2 days ago, I have had a 1960 rambler, a handful of trucks etc. The people across the street from me sound just like this woman, pulled up last night, and I heard the man go (Oh my can you smell that, thats horrible). Needless to say it put a big smile on my face!
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Diego
When is "soon enough?"

What other BS do you believe?
rather than the in-fighting that goes on in other places. . . um, does it happen here too?

For someone who made a point of saying you hoped this board wasn't like other boards, you're cranking up already...

Save it for ROP. It's a way of life over there.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

Save it for the dude who started the crap. I'm just disappointed to stumble upon it here. :-(
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I don't think so.

That's not a Smart Car. Smart cars have three wheel nuts.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:08 AM
Oldsdruid

So did Peugeots and Renaults... four if you count the bolt that held the hubcap on...
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Just picked up my olds 2 days ago, I have had a 1960 rambler, a handful of trucks etc. The people across the street from me sound just like this woman, pulled up last night, and I heard the man go (Oh my can you smell that, thats horrible). Needless to say it put a big smile on my face!
The funniest part about "that smell" is that today's cars stink too. You just don't smell it. Your nose gets used to the smell (you smell it every time you go outside damn near) and ignores it. 20, 30, 40 years ago you didn't smell fumes as much as you do now from the same cars because all the fumes smelled similiar and were in the mental block area. Your nose ignored the scent then... Now cars stink differently so the old common scent is slowly allowed back into a "smellable" range....
(if you don't beleive it, do you for the most part smell your own home? Probably not...)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
That's not a Smart Car. Smart cars have three wheel nuts.
Here's a link to one of the stupid things!
http://www.smart.com/-snm-0135035552.../Default-Start

Ralph
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by marcar1993
The funniest part about "that smell" is that today's cars stink too. You just don't smell it.
Unless it is one of those &%#@! diesels that are getting more popular here. They are so popular in asia that on any given time of day, the air reeks of the crap. (I was sentenced there for business a long while back.) I sure hope the US is not going that way, no matter what the mpg gains are...
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
67 heavy metal

I am proud of my smart friend he has a old 6.2 diesel 2500 chevy that he runs on veg oil has three tanks and ran from ny to fla twice basicly for free
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
I am proud of my smart friend he has a old 6.2 diesel 2500 chevy that he runs on veg oil has three tanks and ran from ny to fla twice basicly for free
That is an improvement.
I would prefer bacon grease myself - i bet the smell would be better, too - almost appetizing.
Perhaps when you rev the motor, you might just hear an "OINK, OINK"!

The Mc D's trucks should reuse their fry oil as fuel. The smell would be a selling medium...
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by German442
Here's a link to one of the stupid things!
http://www.smart.com/-snm-0135035552.../Default-Start

Ralph
If you buy one, you can tell people at your high school reunion that you drive a Mercedes
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
That is an improvement.
I would prefer bacon grease myself - i bet the smell would be better, too - almost appetizing.
Perhaps when you rev the motor, you might just hear an "OINK, OINK"!

The Mc D's trucks should reuse their fry oil as fuel. The smell would be a selling medium...
belive it or not we are not that far off and could be more efficient if we used more of the veg oil but it has to be the liquid kind (stays liquid even when cold) or you have to have a well heated system hope it doesn't clog the injectors and always start and stop on diesel.But with the liquid form like olive oil etc in the southern states you can run on it straight as it is warm.It all depends on your climate and setup.

A good filter system and a few chineese resturants and your set
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by marcar1993
The funniest part about "that smell" is that today's cars stink too. You just don't smell it. Your nose gets used to the smell (you smell it every time you go outside damn near) and ignores it. 20, 30, 40 years ago you didn't smell fumes as much as you do now from the same cars because all the fumes smelled similiar and were in the mental block area. Your nose ignored the scent then... Now cars stink differently so the old common scent is slowly allowed back into a "smellable" range....
(if you don't beleive it, do you for the most part smell your own home? Probably not...)
The funny thing here is that they tested the air pollution in most major U.S. cities and inside the homes there and found that your house is likely to be 3-5 times as polluted as outdoors.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
A good filter system and a few chineese resturants and your set

Umph. I've been behind diesels burning french fry oil. Can only imagine following something that smells like General Tso's Chicken or Kung Pao Cat...

Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
67 heavy metal

a couple comedian's in hereI would take the free travel and fuel than complain there are worse things out there to smell.Drive past a few industrial plants and tell me you would prefer that over fry's or chicken.I think if even one of you prefer that your full of it.I live not that far from Kodak ( the origional start and head qurters)and the smells that come from the factory could rot the paint off a buick
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM

Save money, save the planet, but gain a craving for French fries. It would be worth it.

A University of Regina engineering student has successfully converted a diesel engine in a 2002 Volkswagen Golf to run on used vegetable oil.

Josh Dumalski, a fourth-year student, and two other classmates spent eight months working out the bugs in their system.
"Vegetable oil is very similar to diesel," Dumalski said about the successful switch, adding that the vegetable oil does not contain additives such as sulphur, making it better for the environment.
The car starts out using diesel fuel. Once the engine is hot enough, Dumalski moves a switch he installed under the radio.
'Driving around, you tend to get hungry.'— Engineering student Josh Dumalski
"All we do is flip this switch right here and in about three seconds, it's pure vegetable oil," he said.
Once the car gets going, Dumalski can drive about 1,000 kilometres on a single tank of vegetable oil, obtained free from a Regina restaurant.
"Our main goal is to use a renewable fuel source that's sustainable and locally grown, so we chose vegetable oil," Dumalski said.
His vegetable-oil-fuelled car includes a specialized tank and a complicated electrical system to control the conversion process.

"There's about 500 or 600 feet of wiring in this design," Dumalski said, "so there's a lot of wire in here, a lot of hours of electrical work."
$2,000 per vehicle to replicate work

After spending eight months on the prototype, Dumalski said he believes he can replicate the work for less than $2,000 per vehicle, and deliver comparable performance to an unmodified car.
"On standard diesel operation, you're looking between 45 to 55 miles per gallon and running on vegetable oil is identical," he said.
Dumalski said he did discover a curious side-effect to the conversion process — the exhaust produced smells like whatever was fried in the vegetable oil.
"So shrimp, fries, whatever it is … driving around, you tend to get hungry."
Dumalski hopes to use his technology to convert vehicles like taxis or buses, he said.
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Registered car nut

What I don't understand is why there are no reports of people getting busted for using public highways with non taxed fuel.

There is cheaper diesel but its not legal to use "on highway"
Something to consider.
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by nonhog
What I don't understand is why there are no reports of people getting busted for using public highways with non taxed fuel.

There is cheaper diesel but its not legal to use "on highway"
Something to consider.
there is farm fuel which is dyed so that it can be detected if you are using it in you regular car but I don't know if there are any regulations in place for vegetable oil?
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by wolfman98
there is farm fuel which is dyed so that it can be detected if you are using it in you regular car but I don't know if there are any regulations in place for vegetable oil?
I would have to say it would be horse hooey and bull if there were.Used vegoil from friers is a waste product stuff companys want to get rid of I have even heard of people using old motor oil to run diesels with though for the most part it isn't recomended as if you don't filter all the metal bits out it will certainly damage your engine over time.The other use for motor oil is heating as they make waste oil burners though I would think it would stink and worse than veg oil.I know my friend would be quite mad if they started messing with vegoil as they alreaddy bugger us over everything else.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Green = smaller carbon footprint ...

My '70 442 has a smaller footprint, in part from it being spread over 40 years, than a Prius, when you factor in production and powerplant emissions.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM
is Fast Enough ...

You smell the fry oil ...

You stop at McDs' get some fries ...

Which leads to excess fry oil ...

Which gets converted to free fuel ...

This leads to a surfeit of fry fumes along the roads ...

You smell the fry oil...
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I remember what I had recently said to one dope who suggested I quit working on my old cars and just get a new imp one:

"Anyone with a little brains would know that restoring an old car is reusing & recycling at its best. All of the energy going into it is from my own body. Most of my spent $$ is also kept in the US, keeping American run (and owned!) parts companies in business. Any questions?"

She went away like a dog whacked with a rolled-up newspaper...
(BTW, that was our last date! )

Good for you. "I never met a woman I couldn't run off" But it's best to do it early on.
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Another Hybrid idiot:

I saw another Toyota Pruis today.

Jet Black with a yellow sticker on the fender up by the hood.

Yes, it was the Ferriari Horse sticker
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Oldsdruid

Maybe that one runs on horse puckey...
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Captain of my ship

personally I got nothing against anyone who wants to buy hybrid cars or add wind generaters , solar panels to their house etc. It just means there is less of a reason for me to stop enjoying my Olds. I don't plan on not driving it so all these other guys can make up for anything I might add which is not very much anyway.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
is Fast Enough ...

The new Pee on us get's 50 mpg ...

Respectable for a car that weighs as much as my car ./..
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Hey Ken!!...I totally can see you saying that in your philly accent...Im Baaack...just not in an Alero.
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Just A BaBy {:

That should be a short film {: !