The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Food

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Banned

Food

So I have said it a few times here. My girl is an amazing trained chef. Tonight it's stuffed Poblano peppers. The smell of the peppers is foreplay. Oh my gosh her cooking is unreal. I came from nothing like this.

What does everyone here like? I Love food. Anyone?...
Old August 25th, 2023, 07:59 PM
Oldsdruid

Ruritan club here is doing their monthly fundraiser breakfast tomorrow morning.

Bacon, sausage, tater tots, pancakes and waffles, biscuits and gravy, fried apples, grits. One of the Ruritan ladies makes a couple pans of homemade cinnamon buns and another makes fried fruit pies which always sell out before I can get one.😠

Half moon fried pies 😋 for those who've never had them.

Proceeds from the monthly breakfasts go toward Ruritan college scholarships. We gave six this year.

Something I've been craving lately are salmon cakes. Not many places have them and try as I might I can't make them taste like the ones my Mama made, and I make them by her recipe.
Old August 26th, 2023, 03:49 AM

Momma keeps me and the kids well fed. Some of my favorites are chicken fried steak and lasagna.

Recently I used my kamado grill to smoke a brisket for the first time. It was amazing and we had leftovers for a week and plenty to send home with friends.

Old August 26th, 2023, 09:20 AM
Banned

I should be 350 pounds from her cooking. She is a professionally trained chef. Every meal is 🤤
Her pad Thai is one of my other favorites.
Old August 26th, 2023, 02:37 PM

Old August 27th, 2023, 10:17 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by therobski
Ha Ha! love it!
Old August 28th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Old August 28th, 2023, 01:57 PM

X 2 on the tomato sandwiches, here's my own....

Old August 28th, 2023, 08:49 PM
Oldsdruid

I have tried my whole life to understand what the allure of a 'mater sammitch is, and I can't.

I've finally realized it has to do with it being raw. I like ketchup, stewed tomatoes, any tomato sauce, salsa and pico, but a tomato fresh off the vine just doesn't do it for me. Duke's mayonnaise, salt and pepper, Sunbeam loaf bread, whatever. Just don't like the taste or texture. Cooked is fine. Mama said the only one who could get me to eat raw tomato was my Aunt Merle.

I worked with a guy who'd eat ten 'mater sammitches a day when tomatoes came in. I can picture him now with the juice running off his chin and beard onto his desk.
Old August 29th, 2023, 02:20 AM

That's why they are called " sink sandwiches "
Old August 29th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Past Administrator

To me raw fresh tomatos are wonderful. Pick one off the vine, wash it off, slice into it and sprinkel a little salt, mmmm.
Old August 29th, 2023, 06:24 AM

Had a toasted tomato sandwich for supper last night. They're hard to beat in the Summer time.
Old August 29th, 2023, 08:22 AM
Oldsdruid

Stewed tomatoes, yes, but they give me terrible heartburn and reflux. 'Mater pie, yes (Jamesbo will know what that is). Cut 'em up and cook 'em with butter beans and corn? Not much finer.

LTM on a burger? You've ruined it!😛
Old August 29th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Banned

I just looked very good. I will only drink water or maybe iced tea with a meal. I love all the flavors of good food. I don't want to taint it. I ate so many leftovers last night I woke up hungry. Some food is even better the next day or two.
Old August 29th, 2023, 12:19 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I just looked very good. I will only drink water or maybe iced tea with a meal. I love all the flavors of good food. I don't want to taint it. I ate so many leftovers last night I woke up hungry. Some food is even better the next day or two.
Amen to that brother, nothing finer than cold pizza for breakfast, except maybe hot sausage gravy on biscuits.
Old August 29th, 2023, 12:48 PM

Old August 29th, 2023, 03:27 PM
Banned

X10. Biscuits and gravy... Mmmmm
Old August 30th, 2023, 07:15 AM

BBQ [that's not really BBQ ] shrimp a la Pascalques Manales in The big easy
Old August 30th, 2023, 07:21 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
BBQ [that's not really BBQ ] shrimp a la Pascalques Manales in The big easy
I'll have a pan of that please!
Old August 30th, 2023, 08:17 AM

Matambre

I cut it in 2 and froze half.

Last edited by fleming442; August 30th, 2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old August 30th, 2023, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I'll have a pan of that please!
Here s what I use along with butter onions, shrimp and Worchester sauce.

Old August 30th, 2023, 03:32 PM

I tried to upload a family cookbook Mom compiled over the years however the file was too large for the 20 whatever capacity of the site. If anyone is interested PM me and maybe I can send it on a regular email.

I have been looking at this guys youtube channel for quite sometime, he has some ties with All Recipes and I warmed up to his dry sense of humor as well as the ideas he comes up with.

https://www.youtube.com/@foodwishes/videos

Jim I have to look up the Cajun Shrimp packet. Looks real good.

Fleming the Matambre looks interesting post the list of ingredients sometime I cant figure out what the sausage looking things are, what kind of cook do you do? The grill or the oven?

Last edited by otto72; August 30th, 2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old August 30th, 2023, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Fleming the Matambre looks interesting post the list of ingredients sometime I cant figure out what the sausage looking things are, what kind of cook do you do? The grill or the oven?
It's a peasant South American (Argentina) dish that @propjoe turned me onto.
Butterfly and tenderize (with a meat hammer) a flank/skirt/hangar steak. The sausage is Chorizo links quartered, then repeating rows of egg, pepper, and carrots. Roll it up, wrap in bacon, tie up with string, then wrap in foil. Grill 25 minutes each side, remove foil, and direct grill to desired. Mine got away for a minute on one side. Oops.
Old August 30th, 2023, 05:50 PM

Got it. I just started beating my meat, I mean flattening out leaner cheaper cuts to tenderize. It does work well. I am going to try a mini version of this on the grill this coming weekend.

Thanks
Old August 30th, 2023, 06:40 PM

If ever in Denver, try out Denver Biscuit! They make the best, by far, biscuits and biscuit creations. We've tried to re-create them but with no success. Must be the altitude! My son shipped us a half dozen a few years ago.....cost a chunk of money but since he was paying, it was worth it!
Old August 30th, 2023, 06:50 PM
Oldsdruid

This has nothing to do with GOOD food, but I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday and another one to get me old gray truck inspected right after eye doc. Had maybe twenty minutes to drive across town and grab a quick lunch.

I knew there was a McDonald's a quarter mile or so from the inspection station so figured I'd debase myself and grab a quarter pounder. Quick and easy.

When I tried to go inside the damned door was locked. TWO YEARS after the plague receded and this place is still doing drive thru only. There were a dozen cars in the drive thru line. I'm not sitting in anybody's drive thru line and especially not in McDonald's.
Old August 30th, 2023, 07:29 PM

Ate this the other night. Damn near killed me. Sauce was a little too hot, and meal was huge. Shrimp are a lot of work, but not as bad as crab.

Covid is an excuse for corporations to suck in terms of customer service, and some still use it. Just like 9/11 left us with the morons of the TSA, Covid will leave us with shitty customer service and governmental overreach.
Old August 30th, 2023, 08:17 PM
Oldsdruid

Low country boil!😋 We used to make that on weekend shifts at work a few times a year. Made chicken bog and powerhouse chili too. In summer every work crew had an electric ice cream freezer going for afternoon break and one group of mechanics had the Wendy's Frosty recipe.
Old August 30th, 2023, 09:54 PM

Long, long ago, I was between jobs (voluntarily). My wife & I were in Thailand with me due to start a remote job there. Leaving her with not much to do for 5-7 days in Bangkok while i started with a new company.

She found a Thai food cooking class complete with market shopping & everything, but was a little shy about asking me for the cost.

My reaction was about 1.5 nanoseconds.

Thai food from scratch for life? If she wants to learn, I’m in.

And boy, has it been great for our family. Her extended family, us & friends. Some of my favorite meals in life ever. I try to pitch in since Thai food is labor intensive, but the real skill is her balancing sweet, salt, hot & sour. She can do that with her eyes closed.

I was raised in the Euro-American model of meat & potatoes, but if anyone confined me to one kind of food forever, it’d be Thai for me.

Cheers
Chris
Old August 31st, 2023, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Koda

Ate this the other night. Damn near killed me. Sauce was a little too hot, and meal was huge. Shrimp are a lot of work, but not as bad as crab.

Covid is an excuse for corporations to suck in terms of customer service, and some still use it. Just like 9/11 left us with the morons of the TSA, Covid will leave us with shitty customer service and governmental overreach.
Never fear, they are going to try to run us through another round of lockdowns, mandate and restriction ...... ramping up soon! They even working on new jabs to be required for us all!
Old August 31st, 2023, 06:06 AM
Past Administrator

On my last cruise on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower while transiting the Mediterranean we stopped somewhere on the coast of Spain and I tasted Paella for the first time. What a pleasent surprise. I have never found it since here in the States and tried to re-create it once but failed.

I stole this image from a recipe on line.
otto72, I would like a copy of that recipe book, I'll pm you.
Old August 31st, 2023, 09:29 AM

By the sounds of it Id love to try those Poblano stuffed peppers

Any photos?
Old August 31st, 2023, 09:29 AM

Wow... that looks unreal. You rarely find good paella like that outside Spain.
Old August 31st, 2023, 05:09 PM

I'm with Chris on the Thai food. We eat Thai at least twice/week and my wife makes different things on occasion.
Like Chris, if someone said you could only have one style of cooking for the rest of your life, I would say Thai in 1.25ns.
Old August 31st, 2023, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by rfpowerdude
I'm with Chris on the Thai food. We eat Thai at least twice/week and my wife makes different things on occasion.
Like Chris, if someone said you could only have one style of cooking for the rest of your life, I would say Thai in 1.25ns.
If we can include American pizza in Italian food, I am going for Italian for my answer to that question.