Good tires???

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Hangin' out...

Question Good tires???

Hello all!

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. I'm just trying to find a good set of basic whitewall tires for my 1983 98 Regency. It uses size P215/75R15. I've been poking around my area, and it looks like I have 3 choices:

1. Kumho (Discount)
2. Firestone FR380
3. Goodyear viva 2 (Chinese made for Walmart)

I wouldn't even consider #3, so are the Kumho or Firestones better? I've heard that the quality of the FR380s can be uneven. I've heard the Kumhos are good, but I'd prefer an American brand, if I can find it.

Any other brands that make a whitewall in that size I should look into?
Around here, the market is dominated by Discount and Firestone. I think Purcell's has a presence here, too. I don't need a wide whitewall, just the regular 3/4" is fine.

Thanks,
Henry
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by henryk8398
Hello all!

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. I'm just trying to find a good set of basic whitewall tires for my 1983 98 Regency. It uses size P215/75R15. I've been poking around my area, and it looks like I have 3 choices:

1. Kumho (Discount)
2. Firestone FR380
3. Goodyear viva 2 (Chinese made for Walmart)

I wouldn't even consider #3, so are the Kumho or Firestones better? I've heard that the quality of the FR380s can be uneven. I've heard the Kumhos are good, but I'd prefer an American brand, if I can find it.

Any other brands that make a whitewall in that size I should look into?
Around here, the market is dominated by Discount and Firestone. I think Purcell's has a presence here, too. I don't need a wide whitewall, just the regular 3/4" is fine.

Thanks,
Henry
I don't have any experience with the Firestones, but I run Kuhmos on our Allante. They got good reviews in multiple tests and on the car they were quieter and had better wet traction than the Michlens that were on it.
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM
2Blue 55

Buy american.... stay away from the junk that china sends us.... I think either of the first 2 are good.... I never herd of Kumho though.... as long as your alignments OK you should be fine and since your in AZ u don't gotta worry about snow. Around here when it gets colder the tires rubber gets harder and looses traction... I'll trade ya for Nova Scotia if u wanna swap weather... i think it's gonna be 0F tonight and windy with snow...

Either way Don't waste your money on Chineese garbage... u get what u pay for
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by keith6989
Buy american.... stay away from the junk that china sends us.... I think either of the first 2 are good.... I never herd of Kumho though.... as long as your alignments OK you should be fine and since your in AZ u don't gotta worry about snow. Around here when it gets colder the tires rubber gets harder and looses traction... I'll trade ya for Nova Scotia if u wanna swap weather... i think it's gonna be 0F tonight and windy with snow...

Either way Don't waste your money on Chineese garbage... u get what u pay for
That's exactly why I won't get the Goodyear Viva2s. I've heard they are Chinese-made. I've heard some of the Kumhos are, too.

Sorry about the weather. I think I'll stick to AZ. On the other hand, I'm sure you will not want to be anywhere near this place in July!
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
2Blue 55

Yeah wayyy to many things are made in china today... It's scary that North America is slowly being ripped off by this cheap dangerous stuff they keep sending us. And as for your weather someday i'll move to arizona... i think i could take the summers as long as there was any bad winters like here... i'll take 110 over -45 anyday. It's minus 23 here and a wind chill of around -50 since we have some fridgid arctic air mass moving our way. Hopefully it will blow over soon... usually it hovers around freezing here this time of year... if it gets much colder the diesel busses will freeze in the lines and maybe i'll get off school for a day or 2

Robert
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Registered

Cooper should have a whitewall in that size. I have the Trendsetters on my Vista Cruiser, mostly because they're about the only ones that still make a 14" whitewall in the correct size.
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:48 AM

I like Firestone tires. Bought a new set of Destination A/Ts for my jeep a few years ago ad loved them. Then last year bought a new set of Indy 500s for my F-85 and loved them too. Thats just my experience.
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM

I have an OLD set of coopers on my wagon (205/70r14 I think). They ride nicely and have good traction, but I don't even know if you can get these tires anymore seeing as how this set is 15-20 years old(the car doesn't get driven much).
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:43 AM

My 71 has a set of old Goodyears that are still in good shape. They are white walls. I wouldn't put a set of Kumhos on my classic Olds, it just wouldn't look/feel right regardless of what quality they are.