Dulled paint on my car

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM
2Blue 55

Dulled paint on my car

well a few months ago i got a 1967 dodge to drive around everyday and after 40-some winters the paint is pretty nasty. I have a few problems...

first is all the top of the hood/trunk/roof is faded (no clear coat though...) and someone patched up the side but never finished what they started. I was hopeing for some insight on how to match up the paint? I'll probably just grab a spray can from canadian tire that matches the best i can (duplicolor) but how should i prep it?

Thanks,
Robert...

and heres some pics....

Old January 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
2Blue 55

any insight on prepping would be great... what kinda primer/sanding? Waxes?
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Neat car. Always has a soft spot for those Dodge Polara/Monaco's since I saw Grumpy Old Men. Ha ha.

As for matching the paint, don't count on it. EVEN if you DID find exactly the same color, it's never going to match the finish of the old paint. Exactly what panels were you planning on painting? Hood, roof, deck lid, fenders, quarters looks like from the picture. At that point why not paint the whole thing?

As for prep, when I did my garage paint job, I used 80 grit for some of the real problem spots where the paint was flaking and then went back over the whole car with 120 grit. If you're painting over the old finish I don't think primer is completely necessary unless the paint you're using requires it. It wouldn't hurt by any means, but if we're talking about a cheap as possible paintjob anyway, I would just prep it real good and paint it.

Last edited by kartmaster; January 15th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM

You should check out kartmasters paint job thread on oldspower, pretty cool and the results are amazing, check it out you'll see why
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:39 AM

You could always pick up colored primer at your local auto parts store and paint it with a foam roller after sanding it. That would at least give you a consistent color and then you could paint it later when you have the time and money.
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Senior Moment

Flat Black Epoxy the whole thing, red steel wheels, flowmasters.. yeah.
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
You should check out kartmasters paint job thread on oldspower, pretty cool and the results are amazing, check it out you'll see why
Thanks for the kind words. It's certainly not for everybody. But here's the LINK if the original poster is interested.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
car nut farmer

Wow, good job cartmaster.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM
2Blue 55

OOO! flowmasters! Now were talkin!

Thats quite the roller paint job for sure! I'ts not for the one with little patients! I think for now I'll sand down the areas with the cheese in them and give them a quick prime and spray to keep them from rusting.... i found what i think is a really good match for paint at Canadian tire so i lucked out there

I'll post the results when i get it done..., it's -40 out now so theres not a chance in hell of painting it anytime soon (heck it's 50 miles away from me no so i gotta pick it up first lol)

Thanks guys... I'll be painting my chevys like that when i get them

Robert
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:50 AM

it's -40 out now
Shoot, go ahead and prep it and spray it today. It isn't that cold. You will just have to wait an extra 10 minutes between coats.