Flange plate " dispute "

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Flange plate " dispute "

Here`s the story.I took an exh. man . gasket to the local shop and asked the chap to dupilcate it and make me a set of exh. flanges .
I went in to collect and what I see are 6 flanges - 4 for the end ports and 2 'doubles for the centre ports .
Now I don`t have a concern about the centre ones as I can fit bolts each side and the top centre bolt if necessary.
The 'single ' end flanges , on the other hand, have only one bolt available to them on the outer side of the flange .
Is this going to give me uneven clamping ability and subsequently possible leakage ??
Anyone done a similar system before ?? Results ??
The joys of not owning a chevy or ford !!! lol
Help needed pls as I have left the flanges at the shop until I can get the low down on whether they are any good or not
cheers
mike
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by geckonz08
Here`s the story.I took an exh. man . gasket to the local shop and asked the chap to dupilcate it and make me a set of exh. flanges .
I went in to collect and what I see are 6 flanges - 4 for the end ports and 2 'doubles for the centre ports .
Now I don`t have a concern about the centre ones as I can fit bolts each side and the top centre bolt if necessary.
The 'single ' end flanges , on the other hand, have only one bolt available to them on the outer side of the flange .
Is this going to give me uneven clamping ability and subsequently possible leakage ??
Anyone done a similar system before ?? Results ??
The joys of not owning a chevy or ford !!! lol
Help needed pls as I have left the flanges at the shop until I can get the low down on whether they are any good or not
cheers
mike
Olds headers typically have a one-piece flange for exactly this reason.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:24 PM

they wont work that way. as Joe said that is why they use a single flange for headers. they may seal for a short time but after the header tube heats and cools a few times the tube will move and the outer two will blow out the gasket. most of the newer headers are using a thicker flange (min of 3/8") because of the movement of the metal.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:51 PM

Thanks guys . I will be off down there tomorrow. The chap in the shop who made them has already spat the dummy so I look forward to seeing how he reacts tomorrow.Today the poor bugger threw his hands in the air and disappeared out the back saying " No doubt I will hear from you ? " Well , he will also have the pleasure of an appearance from me .Ain`t it strange how people get so wound when the issue is usually very simple to solve .
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Past Administrator

By his response it sounds like he already knew that they were not correct. I purchased a set of flanges from someone over at HAMB that are one piece and thicker than the flanges on most headers. Haven't used them yet but they should do well...
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM

[quote=Oldsguy;244623]By his response it sounds like he already knew that they were not correct. quote]
you got that right .I arrived at the shop by 10am and he had already sent them away to be re-made and said he was hoping to have them ready by today .
mike
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Bill from BTR carved these up for me. Really nice stuff.
CIMG3029.jpg