Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Goodyear polyglass vs. Firestone "bias-looking" radial

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2017, 05:34 AM

Goodyear polyglass vs. Firestone "bias-looking" radial

Need new tires for my '70 442. Currently looking at at the Goodyear polyglas G70/14 (that's what came on it originally) vs. the new Firestone "bias-looking" radial, which is less expensive, or go the cheap route & get the B.F. Goodrich T/A (they're the cheapest, but I'm not crazy about how they look, and they're rated as an "all weather" tire, not a "performance" tire). I'm looking to keep it original looking, but it's not a show car - I drive it! Mostly in town but some highway driving. My question is; will the radial make a big enough difference in handling/durability/etc over the bias? And I know a lot of guys run the T/A's - would like pro's/cons' of them? I'd like to stuff a little bit bigger tire on the back, but it doesn't look like that's an option with any of these three. (I WILL be keeping the original 14" rims). Opinions/advice?
Old February 21st, 2017, 05:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by safray
Need new tires for my '70 442. Currently looking at at the Goodyear polyglas G70/14 (that's what came on it originally) vs. the new Firestone "bias-looking" radial, which is less expensive, or go the cheap route & get the B.F. Goodrich T/A (they're the cheapest, but I'm not crazy about how they look, and they're rated as an "all weather" tire, not a "performance" tire). I'm looking to keep it original looking, but it's not a show car - I drive it! Mostly in town but some highway driving. My question is; will the radial make a big enough difference in handling/durability/etc over the bias? And I know a lot of guys run the T/A's - would like pro's/cons' of them? I'd like to stuff a little bit bigger tire on the back, but it doesn't look like that's an option with any of these three. (I WILL be keeping the original 14" rims). Opinions/advice?
I've been running BFG T/As on my cars almost since they came out in the early 1970s. I've been happy with them, but they are not ultimate performance tires. They are a harder compound, so they don't stick as well as softer tires. Wear is good. Handling is fine, especially on a stock vintage musclecar. I have recently been interested in these "bias look" radials, as I'd like to run them on my 69 H/O. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found ones in the correct G60-15 size.
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:31 AM

If you don't like the B.F. Goodrich tires then don't buy them, go with the Firstones. I can't think of a reason I would suggest a bias ply tire over a radial, but if you really want the Goodyears then go for it.
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:46 AM

First I've heard of these, and I'd love to run them on my cars. I run the redline radials on my 1967 GS 400 now. My 442 + GS 455 are running bias ply. I'll definitely be looking into these more when I need tires. I don't really mind the bias ply, but radials handle a lot better.
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:54 AM

Joe - do you know how the size of the T/A compares to the original G70-14? The spec's say the 225/70R14 is nearly identical & the 245/60R14 is wider but shorter. I'd like to go a little taller AND wider either in the back or all the way around, but I sure don't want to go smaller. I know that sometimes the measurements aren't comparable when you actually get them on the car.
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:59 AM

Coker has the firestone radials listed on their website - $256 each (for the GR70-14). choose the tab on the left for "tire construction" & choose "bias look radial". That's cheaper than Kelsey has the bias goodyear G70-14's listed, so the only reason I would go Goodyear is because that's what came on the car originally.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've been running BFG T/As on my cars almost since they came out in the early 1970s. I've been happy with them, but they are not ultimate performance tires. They are a harder compound, so they don't stick as well as softer tires. Wear is good. Handling is fine, especially on a stock vintage musclecar. I have recently been interested in these "bias look" radials, as I'd like to run them on my 69 H/O. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found ones in the correct G60-15 size.
The 69 H/O came with F60-15 as the original size.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Smallhurst
The 69 H/O came with F60-15 as the original size.
DOH! You are correct. Sorry about that.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by safray
Joe - do you know how the size of the T/A compares to the original G70-14? The spec's say the 225/70R14 is nearly identical & the 245/60R14 is wider but shorter. I'd like to go a little taller AND wider either in the back or all the way around, but I sure don't want to go smaller. I know that sometimes the measurements aren't comparable when you actually get them on the car.
G70-14s are 26.8" in diameter with an 8.6" section width.
225/70-14s are 26.4" in diameter with an 8.8" section width.
245/60-14s are 25.6" in diameter with a 9.6" section width.

Unfortunately, those are your only practical choices in a 14" tire today. As you suggest, the rolling radius for the radials is actually a little smaller than these theoretical numbers, as the radial sidewalls deflect more than do those of bias ply tires.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:57 AM

I know that Coker has come out with the Radial Wide O's. I have not heard how they ride, but looking at the construction, the tread pattern is the bias ply pattern. I am interested in feedback on how they roll.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:59 AM

Joe - Coker has the Firestone wide oval FR60-15 listed.....at $323 each!
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:34 PM

Cooker had the radial "WIDE OVALS" on display at SEMA - at the time they only had FR70-14 & FR60-15s available - have they increased to other sizes?

IMO they still didn't look right; while they did have the RWL & tread design of the vintage "WIDE OVAL" they still appear round like a modern radial tire.

if it was my car & my $$: Goodyear Polyglas G70-14
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:50 PM

I believe that Coker now has 6 sizes available.

As for the bulge in the sidewall... that comes with radial construction... I will be happy to help anyone with questions about Goodyears. Cell is 816-654-3400.