Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Source for Olds Rocket Center Cap Emblems

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2016, 10:52 AM

Source for Olds Rocket Center Cap Emblems

I'm working on putting some Chevy alloy wheels on my car and want to convert the center caps to feature the red, black, and chrome Rocket emblem like the SS rallye wheels. I need a stick-on emblem / decal with a 2 1/2" diameter but all the repro ones I have found are 2" to 2 1/4". Does anyone know of a good quality item with the right size? Alternately, does anyone have a source to get these made up on a custom basis? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: png
untitled.png (47.2 KB, 13 views)
Old December 18th, 2016, 12:26 PM

http://3dcarstickers.com/product/custom/

I've never used them, but looks like they could make what you're looking for.
Old December 19th, 2016, 09:39 AM

Thanks Nick, I'll check it out.
Old December 19th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Start with Google, where you'll find Fusick (P/N WOL25), Parts Place (P/N WT4335T), Goodmark (P/N GMK4532588683), etc, etc sell them.

Old December 19th, 2016, 12:16 PM

Joe,
I think the problem is the Size. He is looking for one that is 2 1/2" in diameter. I know the ones at Fusick are 2 1/8"
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jharsh
Joe,
I think the problem is the Size. He is looking for one that is 2 1/2" in diameter. I know the ones at Fusick are 2 1/8"
Sorry, I missed that. Yeah, I guess custom is the only option. Alternately, one could paint the 2.5" circle on the wheel center black then stick the smaller decal over it.
Old December 20th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, I missed that. Yeah, I guess custom is the only option. Alternately, one could paint the 2.5" circle on the wheel center black then stick the smaller decal over it.

I may have to do that but would prefer some the right size if I can find them.
Old February 8th, 2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Start with Google, where you'll find Fusick (P/N WOL25), Parts Place (P/N WT4335T), Goodmark (P/N GMK4532588683), etc, etc sell them.

Thanks very much, Parts Place had them, "Metal -embossed" > 'Not Plastic'. Group II or SS2 (2 1/8)
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:22 AM

Thanks for unearthing this thread, I just bought a new set of center caps and need to do this. Are these adhesive backed stick-ons?
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:37 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Don R.
Thanks for unearthing this thread, I just bought a new set of center caps and need to do this. Are these adhesive backed stick-ons?
Yes, they are adhesive, "never come off". Purchased them some years ago but needed more. They are as described above " metal 'embossed' " They are not decals but top quality center caps. (emblems) > "Not the cheap plastic- 'knock-offs'.
* You may wish to align the rocket emblem with the valve stems for (synmmetry): 'optional'. I did not, but just placed them on the center hubs. Be sure for alignment though, for the adhesive is very strong. These are the 'ones' you want.

* Technical Specs: 2 1/8 or 2.125

Last edited by synoptic12; February 9th, 2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by synoptic12
Yes, they are adhesive, "never come off".
Interesting. The ones I put on my old 14x7 wheels started to peel off after a couple of years, no big deal as I just glued them back on. The real issue was the red color bleached out after several years.. The Arizona sun is brutal.

Old February 9th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Arrow

I purchased them about eight to ten years ago. The rocket center emblems have not come off nor ever faded. Purchased from Parts Place in Illinois. I too have the 14 x 7 wheels and there have been no issues through cold or heat. Where did you purchase?

Last edited by synoptic12; February 9th, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:25 AM

Arrow

Olds' Center Caps (Rocket) 2 1/8" or 2.125

Olds' Center Caps (Rocket) 2 1/8" or 2.125
* Supplement:
Actually, to be quite honest, I'm purchasing additional center caps for I may re-chrome the center hubs. In this respect, I would have to remove the center caps in place. More so, one never knows when a company may go out of business or discontinue items. I checked Fusick as they no longer seem to be available. There are a few others but "Parts Place" has the 'quality' center caps that last AND 'Do not fade".

Last edited by synoptic12; February 9th, 2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old February 9th, 2019, 11:46 AM

Yours look like the original style plastic covered emblems for the snap on center caps and not the ones Joe posted above. I have original ones similar to yours on the 15x7 wheels that replaced the 14x7s.

I don't recall where I bought them but prolly doesn't matter as the resto houses don't actually make the parts, they source from a vendor. It's likely all the retail outlets source from the same 1 or 2 vendors.

As I said, the Arizona sun is brutal. They were fine until I moved to Arizona, then within a couple of years they lost the red color - the two on the side that faced the sun most went first, then the other side followed. Other than that, they have held up well for the many years they have been installed.

Last edited by Fun71; February 9th, 2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:06 PM

Arrow

I'm sorry, you are 'partially correct'. I did not realize that I had two types of center caps. Apparently, I only replaced a couple. The pictures now displayed show the caps purchased from Parts Place > Metal embossed. The first set of pictures are 'plastic' as you have stated. But, neither has faded. You have a very good eye for detail. My apologies. I do like the metal better than the original "plastic" but it does not matter.

Old February 9th, 2019, 04:01 PM

OK, thanks for the clarification. The original 1975 plastic-encapsulated(?) center caps on my 15x7 wheels haven't faded and are still red. Maybe "faded" isn't the correct term as it appears the red is just... gone. Burned away by the intense solar radiation in the desert, perhaps? Or cooked by the 120ºF summer temps? I dunno, but whatever they didn't last more than 3-4 years out here.
Old February 9th, 2019, 05:12 PM

I have an 86' Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham, purchased new from day one; 'still have it'. I believe that the 'plastic' is original. You know, you're going to think I'm bad. Guess what, one of my center caps looks exactly like yours (paint missing or faded). I just noticed it. The only thing I do not know if it is the plastic or metal. It seems to be embossed. The cap looks exactly like your pic (missing paint). I really do not know how that occurred; car is always garaged and washed often, so again, "You are right". Forgive me of my abrupt nature.

Is that the 'original plastic' that faded? It appears to be embossed as does my faded center cap. I felt it and it seems to be embossed. I will not know until I remove it. I actually thought someone played a prank on me but then, "Why wouldn't they take the entire cap"? Having my car 33 years has not diminished the 'plastic' center caps until now > strange for one cap, still has me guessing. I'll take a pic in a few days, car's in the garage and I cannot get to the other side without moving the vehicle out, too much stuff.
I must speak with Brian Weaver from G-Body .com. He has helped me significantly. If you ever need any resto or (Nos) check with him (Brian) and make mention of me. "The dash cam guy". In any event, you certainly are correct. Thank you very much.

* By the way, I purchased 4 at Parts Place as they were suppose to arrive today but didn't. Most likely, Monday. I'll put up some pics where you can view.

Last edited by synoptic12; February 9th, 2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:53 PM

Is that the 'original plastic' that faded? It appears to be embossed as does my faded center cap.
The pic I posted above with the "missing red" caps are the embossed inserts from an aftermarket supplier. The original GM plastic caps on the 1975 SSIII wheels are not faded. Interesting as they came from a donor car in Albuquerque which has similar intense sunshine as here in Arizona. The later plastic encapsulated center caps appear to be better protected than the earlier exposed ones.

Old February 9th, 2019, 07:19 PM

Arrow

Well, it very well may be that the cap which is faded may be embossed, it surely looks it. When you refer to embossed, are you referring to 'plastic' or metal i.e 'aftermarket supplier'? Again, I will not know until I remove mine. However, I can certainly see the difference on the car; 'plastic as opposed to metal'. Can you recall the aftermarket supplier? As stated earlier, Fusick seems to no longer show the number or availability. The plastic does not appear to be embossed "original", so it would only stand to reason that the faded cap is metal BUT none of the others have faded.

* You made me go in the garage.
1.) I have two plastic in back "Original" and two metal in the front (one faded). Apparently, I purchased two and not four. It is clear that the metal's red color has come off one. I have additional hubs with plastic but I would have to empty the garage, too much work. Here's a pic of the 'faded' embossed metal cap. Look what this thread has turned into.

Old February 9th, 2019, 07:29 PM

Addendum:
I just purchased 4 at Parts Place metal embossed). The plastic are at Summit Racing and maybe a few other places. Would you purchase the plastic or metal?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/o...SABEgL4xfD_BwE
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:45 PM

When you refer to embossed, are you referring to 'plastic' or metal i.e 'aftermarket supplier'?
I was referring to the metal ones that are used on the earlier wheels.

Last edited by Fun71; February 9th, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old February 10th, 2019, 05:44 AM

Thanks, would you purchase the 'plastic' or metal? I've already purchased the metal. Cannot understand how one completely is missing red paint and the other is brand new (metal).
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:03 AM

For wheels that came with the plastic encapsulated emblems I would replace with the same type since they apparently hold up a lot better.
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:23 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Fun71
For wheels that came with the plastic encapsulated emblems I would replace with the same type since they apparently hold up a lot better.
* Thanks very much. I thought so but already purchased the metal. You know, I believe we forget about the OP-ED and his concern. Irrespective of that, I appreciate your assistance.
Old February 10th, 2019, 10:02 AM

* Thanks very much. I thought so but already purchased the metal. You know, I believe we forget about the OP-ED and his concern. Irrespective of that, I appreciate your assistance.
Don't worry, I'm still here. These are the Impala SS wheels I have, I just bought a new set of center caps which have a black center so I will get a set of the embossed adhesive back Olds emblems and stick them on, thanks for your help.

Old February 10th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Nice. Should look good with the rocket. Apparently, you're going with embossed and not plastic.
Old February 11th, 2019, 01:35 PM

Arrow

I just received the center caps today from Parts Place. There is a plastic film covering the face side (rocket) that you merely peel away. Thought some may be interested in viewing.

Old February 12th, 2019, 11:51 AM

I just received the center caps today from Parts Place. There is a plastic film covering the face side (rocket) that you merely peel away. Thought some may be interested in viewing.

Those look like just what I need.
Old February 12th, 2019, 12:08 PM

To be honest, I like the 'embossed' more so than the plastic (original). The metal 'embossed' stand out more and are definitely superior in eye appeal. There may be a drawback on the 'red' fading or disappearing over time but this is trivial. Notice the 3M adhesive backing on the 'backside' > 'Never comes off'. Paid $25.00 including shipping for four. Summit has the plastic for $10.00 each plus shipping (Double the price). Your wheels would look much nicer with the embossed, my personal opinion. There is the diameter issue but that aspect can be overcome without ordering custom caps. Again, the size is 2 1/8 or 2.125. I'm still miffed as to how one cap is brand new and the other has the red missing. I actually thought someone played a prank, but can't be.

* Snowing here today, so I've got free time.

Last edited by synoptic12; February 12th, 2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old February 13th, 2019, 09:17 AM

I just ordered a set of the embossed ones from Parts Place, I'll post back when I get them installed.
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:21 AM

I have a bunch of NOS center cap emblems. When I get home from work I'll look and see what size they are and how many I have. Should be able to part with some of these.
Old February 19th, 2019, 03:42 PM

They are 2 1/8" diameter. Might be able to part with a couple.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 11:43 AM

I received the stick-on emblems from The Parts Place and installed them today. The Impala SS center caps I had were kind of beat up so I got a new set of reproductions on Ebay. They are identical to OEM caps except the Impala "Leaping Deer" logo is a decal rather than part of the black center. Real simple job, peel and stick, back on the car in 15 minutes. Thanks to all who responded and finally got me to do a job I should have done years ago.