Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Wheel play

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2020, 11:04 AM

Wheel play

Hi everyone,
Noticed that I had some front wheel play. I believe it is caused by the wheel studs sticking through the hub too far. See pics below. They stick out nearly a quarter inch. Except for the replaced stud. You can even see where they hit on the inside of the drum on the 4 original studs. Anyone else have this problem? Or a solution? I assume I will need to replace the remaining studs? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old April 5th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Your first problem is that the knurl on the wheel studs stick out that far because it is supposed to press into the brake drum in addition to the hub. If you can pull the drum off you haven't installed them correctly. The studs hold the drum and hub together as a unit. To remove the drum, you are supposed to remove the wheel bearings and pull the hub and drum off as a unit.
Old April 6th, 2020, 07:37 AM

So if that is the case, then I suspect I need a different drum and probably a different new stud.

do all four fit like that or just the fronts?

Bob
Old April 6th, 2020, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rvsmith5
So if that is the case, then I suspect I need a different drum and probably a different new stud.

do all four fit like that or just the fronts?

Bob
Think about it. The rear end doesn't have "hubs", they have a full axle shaft, so no, they are not the same.
Old April 6th, 2020, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Think about it. The rear end doesn't have "hubs", they have a full axle shaft, so no, they are not the same.
Joe if he is replacing the drums with new ones, the front drums don't come with the hubs. They need to be transferred to the new drums and, as noted, the studs need to be removed and then pressed in with the new drum on the hub.
Old April 6th, 2020, 09:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by svnt442
Joe if he is replacing the drums with new ones, the front drums don't come with the hubs. They need to be transferred to the new drums and, as noted, the studs need to be removed and then pressed in with the new drum on the hub.
I understand. I'm guessing that someone attempted to replace the front drums and beat the hell out of them to get them off without pressing the studs out first. The lug holes in the new drum need to be about the same diameter as the ones in the hub so the knurl on the studs fits in them. The ones in the first photo do not appear to be correct, thus they do not fit properly. The studs all have to be pressed out of the hub, the holes in the drum need to match the holes in the hub, and they the studs need to be pressed into both at the same time. That clearly did not happen. Without knowing how the original drum came off, we don't know if the hub flange got bend in the process.

Old April 6th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I understand. I'm guessing that someone attempted to replace the front drums and beat the hell out of them to get them off without pressing the studs out first. The lug holes in the new drum need to be about the same diameter as the ones in the hub so the knurl on the studs fits in them. The ones in the first photo do not appear to be correct, thus they do not fit properly. The studs all have to be pressed out of the hub, the holes in the drum need to match the holes in the hub, and they the studs need to be pressed into both at the same time. That clearly did not happen. Without knowing how the original drum came off, we don't know if the hub flange got bend in the process.
Agreed.

I went through this 27 years ago with a 70 Cutlass I bought. There was a "squeaking" coming from the left hub and I found that the inner race had split and spun into the hub. I ended up having to get a hub from a junkyard of off a skylark to replace it (when I found out that the new drums didn't come with the hub). I wanted to keep the original drum as I wasn't replacing the brakes, so I knocked out all of the studs on both hubs and swapped over my drum to the replacement hub. Then installed new studs and I was on my way.
Old April 6th, 2020, 12:11 PM

Thanks again everyone. I have never dealt with front drums before. I am glad I discovered it now vs on the road. I do not recall the old drums being hard to get off. The car has had a ton of quick backyard style work done on it, so maybe the last set was done wrong. But I would have probably just cussed more and got them off and did the same thing anyway. Back to parts shopping and to a machine shop for me. As always, I appreciate your time.

Bob