Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Sticky tires...

Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:01 AM

Sticky tires...

Looking to replace my BF Goodrich with something a little more sticky.
The TA radials perform great but at 3/4 throttle those poor bastards don't stand a chance.

Want something that performs well around town but will grip a little better on acceleration. Was thinking of running some kind of street slick out back but don't want that drag race look on a convertible.

I'm running a 15" rim

Any suggestions

Thanks
Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:48 AM

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T
Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:53 AM

Nilsson,how do those compare to the TA radials? I always thought they were similar in design and compound.

Have you used them?

Thanks
Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM

I installed the MT on my car last winter. I put 3000 miles on them this summer and really pleased with the tire. The tire is a softer compound than the BF's, and the tread pattern is very different. TA's street radials in my opinion are a hard compound tire.

Last edited by Nilsson; November 23rd, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:01 PM

Fyi

Place my vote for the Sportsman ST. Have them on two of my cars & both replaced BFG radial TA tires. Buy them .... you will be happy!
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Wink Sticky street tires

I have a '68 442 with just a tick under 500 HP at the crank, I found T/A's to be banana peels. I tried the Cooper Cobras, they were a bit better, but the best tire for the street I've found is the M&H Racemaster Drag Radial. Get them hot and they hook pretty good. For serious work I bolt on my Goodyear Eagles, and then you find any weak link in the driveline, usually the Muncie with my car. Haven't broken anything with the M&H's yet, but they can't 'dead-hook' like a wrinkle wall slick. They are a lot more forgiving than true slicks, but still hook pretty quickly. I stuffed the widest buggers I could under there without rubbing on my exhaust. 12:80's with the M&H's 12:38 with the Eagles. Not too shabby for a street tire !!! They last pretty well too !!! Depending on your level of use (ABUSE?)
Old January 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM

more

I presumed he meant a radial tire not a DOT drag radial. If you want a drag radial MT is the king. I own both the MT & the M&H tires but have not yet had a chance to run the M&H tire. Neither of the drag radials is fun to have on if the sunshine turns to rain. Of the conventional radial tires the MT S/T is the best I have found for not track duty.
Old January 13th, 2015, 04:27 PM

The car is a 68 convertible with hotchkis suspension,auto trans (th400) and a BTR built 468 that puts out over 500hp and almost 600lbs of tq.

I just don't want a big ole slick out back but I am considering the MT drag radial because it does have a lower profile and not that serious race car look! I only drive the car weekends and on nice days but I NEED some traction out back.

If I do run the MT what should I go with in the front? MT sportsman? Would that MT drag radial look silly on 15" SS11?
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

On the street I still find it easy to spin the 275-50-15 m/t drag radials. I don't mess around on the street too much so street traction isn't my goal. I found the t/a radials for the street to be alright although I will agree I can shred them to threads in no time. I use the drag radials for the strip . I did have., a long time ago some hoosier quick time D.O.T drag radials with the thread design and they where pretty good on the street but the wore out too fast. if you want good grip and good wet / dry traction try the nitto 555 . My buddy uses them on his ford lightning and he loves them. They do offer "muscle car " sizes lol. They nittos will be my next tire of choice. I will say my only issue with the m/t sportmans ( skinnys) up front is the tendancy for them to pull due to the narrow thread . While driving if you hit uneven pavement or cracks the steering will pull.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 13th, 2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old January 14th, 2015, 04:06 AM

Thanks guys!
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:53 AM

Wink Nice Ride

Sounds like a nice ride. If you are pushing 600 lb. ft torque I think any street radial will be blown off that car. I can break my rear tires loose from a roll in 3rd, and those are Drag radials, and my torque is JUST 573 Lbs. ft. I do have the Edelbrock adjustable upper links and run an air lift bag in the right coil, so she does plant the tires quite well, but DOT tires....fuggedaboutit !!! You'd better have a good rev-limiter while testing those DOT's. I've heard good things about the Nittos as well, and yes I did go sideways at 70mph with the M&H's in a very light rain. When you're at a show and any hint of rain you see all the drag radial cars high-tailing it !!
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:12 AM

Thanks rocket, at 40 mph in drive if I mash the throttle the tires go up in smoke even with the top down all you can smell is burnt rubber, I can rip a 100 foot posi shot at 40mph but it starts to get scary and I really don't want to wrap it around a pole! Lmao!

I'm thinking of saving up for some 17" torque thrust up front and 18" out back with some nice nitto tires.

I know this engine will punish just about every DOT tire out but these BF TA radials just don't stand a chance.

Last edited by Stevec; January 14th, 2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Smile Yes the Olds makes gobs of tire shredding torque

Hi, I knew from the sound of your specs that you have a tire-shredder there. It sounds like what mine can do but in a slightly larger scale. I love it when the Mustang kids come winding up from behind me and I stomp it from a roll and pull away from them while still spinning the tires. One time a car full of those Yokuls caught up to me at the next red light and they were all hanging out the side checking my car out. One kid says "Wow, what ya got in there?" I laughed and said "Obviously a lot more than you guys!!!" The light turned green and I took off on them still laughing out loud, short shifting it and still pulling away hard from them. I'm 59 years old but that stuff makes me feel 20 again !!! Enjoy you gorgeous car !!!! Can't beat the '68's !!! Wayne
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:27 PM

Lmao! Wayne I hear ya loud and clear I've got 2 kids in high school and their friends with the tuners pretty much know better than to toy with the olds but it's def fun to give them a show or a ride once in a while!
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:01 AM

Wink old guy in '63 Impala Ragtop

I met a guy a few years back who was about 10 years older than me, he was driving a 1963 Impala Convertible. Factory 409 with 2x4's and a 4 speed. he told me about some tuner kids trying to pass him on the way to the car show, he honked on it at 60 mph and squealed the skinny factory repro's and took off on them. They never did show up at the Car Show, maybe dropping a small block Chev in their Honda now ??? Doesn't matter how old you are, you just can't handle these kids dissin' your ride !!!

LOL Wayne
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:48 AM

Lol very true!