Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...

My '89 Custom Cruiser was originally equipped with the optional locking wire wheel covers. What I got with the car, however, were these:

As you may have noticed, other than being round and having spokes it would seem that I have two sets of two covers from a different model/year.

There are two basic styles, the "closed" with a black backing plate...

... and the "open" without it.

Which (if any) are the right ones for a 1989 Custom Cruiser? All are 15-inchers, but two have rectangular logo hubs while the others have a pointed "shield" kind. None are in particularly good shape, but I'm willing to rehab whichever are the right ones for this car.

________________________ ALSO... ________________________

Right now she has a full set of Oldsmobile wheel covers, but from which model year, model, etc., they come is a mystery to me. If you recognize these wheel covers...

...please let me know.

Thanks in advance for whatever info you can provide...

Drew

Old November 21st, 2010, 05:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

The "open" ones are correct. The closed ones have a different center and won't accept the Olds snap-in caps that cover that hole. Did these come with the retainers that fit under the lug nuts to prevent the caps from falling off?
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:14 AM

The grey rectangular logo is for '84; and with the retainers you need the three per wheel correct wheel nuts with a wide flange to hold the retainer in place; if you have 15 X 7" rims you need the taller retainers to make up for the extra width of the rim...I changed my narrow wheels for wider ones and took the taller retainers for them... and then there is the coded key for the set of lock bolts to hold the covers to the retainers
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

What you see is what I got, literally. I originally assumed they replaced the wire covers due to damage (they're a bit corroded) or for having lost that lockdown "tool". It now seems they just went with an Olds cover that would fit properly (thank GOD they match) rather than try to fix what they had or try and replace those specific covers...

Last edited by auto_editor; November 23rd, 2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Dangling participles