Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Seek 14x6 JJ rims and Winston Tires info help

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2018, 04:22 PM

Seek 14x6 JJ rims and Winston Tires info help

I was given 4 rims/tires, and need to identify their approximate value to sell them.

The wheels were changed out soon after the car was bought about 40 years ago, so they are in excellent shape and have the original tires.

Here are the rim specs:
L 14x6 JJ M5/9 DF
Made in Canada T991
5 79 ZA
Nipple side:
M59 5 3 NC

Here are the tire specs:
Winston Winner GT P225/60 R14

I believe they are SSIII as they are painted the original blue paint and have the pop-off chrome rings.

After a few hours of research, I couldn't find any references to the rim specs, so I wonder how rare they are.

I'm hoping to figure out a ball park value for the excellent shape of the rims, plus the idea of what the value might be with tires that look like new, although probably not street worthy after they were removed about 40 years ago, but still might be great for shows.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. I need to sell these soon, but I need to figure out the value first.

Thanks,

Tires not driven since it was bought, and upgraded.

Original blue color and chrome rings

Original Winston G/T Winner tires

nipple - right

nipple - left

back of rim with chrome inserts

Rim codes. Note excellent condition with no rust.
​​​​​​​
Brent 415-559-9931
Old November 3rd, 2018, 08:22 PM

Hi Brent
I'm thinking these are off a 1979-80 Cutlass, not a Hurst Olds so it might be better to move this to a different forum so you can get more coverage. If I'm reading the date code right they were made in 1979. The Hurst Olds had aluminum rims in 1979 and there wasn't a Hurst Olds in 1980. These wheels are pretty common in my part of the country. I don't know if the tires were used from the factory, I'm not familiar with the brand. But agree the tires wouldn't be safe to run on the road, but might look nice in car shows. Shipping wheels/tires together could be spendy, so you might post your location to let people know where you are. You might also try listing these on your local Craigslist. The wheels are missing the center caps, they do have the trim rings that is good. I know price is based on what's available and what the demand is. In my part of the country the wheels with trim rings may be around $25 each. But it also would cost $7 each to have the tires removed. So, I'm not optimistic that you'll be able to get much for them. Sorry, John
Old November 4th, 2018, 01:09 AM

I agree May of 1979 wheels 14" Super Stock IIIs (have been re-painted backside wouldn't have been blue originally)

tires appear to be from mid-2004 - a clearer pic of the red area would help to confirm

225/60/14s are pretty short & not a common tire size to find today - they might have some value to someone looking for that size, but they are 14 years old

Old November 4th, 2018, 05:08 AM
Administrator

I moved your post to the wheels and tire section, the last set of those I had went for $200 with serviceable tires. Mine were gold, great shape with caps, rings, and lugs.