Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

best tires for quality riding

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2014, 07:48 AM
It's a Cutlass.

best tires for quality riding

Hello gents and good morning to all,

I'm almost ready to put the stock wheeels back on the 72, I've been very slowly trying to restore them myself. Although I have made them look somewhat better, they (or the car) will never be show quality while I own it. Having said that, I would like to get the most comfortable ride I can, so my question is: any recommendations as to what tires would provide that? Any other issues I may need to look into?
The wheels are SS1 stock near as I can tell. So 14 x 7. I will post a picture later. I was thinking 70 series, not sure about the width, I am open to suggestions.
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:31 PM

The availability of tires in 14" is fairly slim, so your choices are limited.
There was a thread just a couple weeks ago about who still makes 14" tires in 60 and 70 sizes but I don't remember all of the companies. BF Goodrich, Firestone, Mickey Thompson are some I do remember.

FYI, I have always used BFG Radial TAs in 245-60-14 on my cars. Some folks like a taller tire and aren't as concerned about width for traction as I am and go with 215 or 225-70-14.
Old August 14th, 2014, 02:20 PM

Taller tires typically ride better but corner worse than short/wide. Not many 14" choices left and 225/70's are about as close to factory height as you can get in a modern radial. Cooper & BFG are most common with MT's being more of a special order tire. Firestone elimianted their Indy 500 line in this size but I got their cheapo Primewells since I don't use my 14" wheels often.
Old August 14th, 2014, 02:35 PM

One thing I forgot to mention is that the vehicle's suspension will play a huge role in ride quality. Over the years I have used many different tires from many manufacturers, ranging from name brand to never heard of, in different constructions (radial and bias ply belted(?)), in many different aspect ratios and widths, and my car always had a nice, smooth ride.

I never really felt that the tire made that much of a difference in ride quality. Traction and cornering, yes, but not ride quality.
Old August 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Taller tires typically ride better but corner worse than short/wide.
I think what you meant to say is that taller SIDEWALLS ride better but corner worse than shorter ones, due to less sidewall deflection with on the shorter ones. Most people say "taller tires" meaning overall diameter, not sidewall height.

225/70-14s are the closest tires to stock size that you can find today. For a street-driven car with stock suspension, you won't feel an appreciable cornering or traction difference with the smaller 245/60-14s. (The butt-dyno may disagree, especially if you just shelled out several hundred bucks for the 245/60s, but use a real G-meter and compare).

The real question is, what do you mean by "quality riding"????? Comfortable ride (which is how my wife would define it) or performance handling?
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:24 PM
It's a Cutlass.

I thank you all for the valuable input.
My car does have after market front and rear sway bars, I think that's the correct term. It corners fine for what it is. I should have said I want the ride to be smooth, comfortable, not too much tire/road noise (not that I'm opposed to performance). It's just that I won't be doing any type of performance moves intentionally, but I want decent tires that will last quite a few years as I will only be putting three thousand or so miles on it per year. Probably won't be driving it in horrible weather either, a little rain but that's most likely it.
From what you all are telling me, I'm thinking the 225/70s will be my first choice as it seems they will be closest to stock. Now to find them.
Thanks everyone.
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Past Administrator

The next decision for you will be whitewall, blackwall or white letter. That will depend upon what is available too. Good luck.
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:41 PM
It's a Cutlass.

Right. I currently have white lettered "Stinger Radial GTs" and they look fine on the chrome wheels, but I'm thinking of going blackwall on the stock wheels. Not trying to be flashy, and nothing against white walls, but it just feels right to me.
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:30 PM

Here's a link to pics of my car with BFG 245-60 RWL tires on factory SSIII wheels:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lass-woes.html

Black walls look great, too. Just depends upon what you like best.
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:35 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Do tires have labels indicating noise treadwear and grip over there?. for your mileage and the kind o use you will putting your car to I'd recommend something that gives a quieter ride, tread pattern is a big factor in determining how much road noise tires generate, a close pattern will be quieter than an open pattern such as winter tires or off-road ones.

Roger.
Old August 18th, 2014, 09:02 AM
It's a Cutlass.

Hey Fun71, great looking car there, the tires do look nice as well. After reading that thread, I think I will hold on to my 15" wheels for a while, was going to sell them. I would hate to be unable to get tires one day for my 14" wheels and have to buy new wheels as well. Although I doubt that at less than three thousand miles a year I'll be needing to replace them within a decade or so.
rustyroger: I'm not certain of all the codes on tires here, but pretty sure these BFGoodrich tires won't give me any more noise than the twelve year old tires on it right now.
Still unsure if my speedo/odo issue will get worse or better going froom 15s to 14s. Right now, I think it's about 15% off, says 65 when I'm going closer to 55.
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:18 AM

I do not like the way my 72 rides. I have 225 70 14 BFGs, new springs, bushings, ball joints and bearings and it rides just like it always did...ROUGH! Most of the Cutlass cars were just passenger cars, not "performance cars" and came with white stripe, not white lettered tires. I might go with radial white stripe next time if they still make them for 14 inch. I just put a set of 235 75 15 Toyo radials on my 72 Chevy Cheyenne 1/2 ton pickup, and it rides much better than my Cutlass. Is it the BFGs? I run 35 lbs in the tires.
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Drop your tire pressure down to 30-32, it will help.
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:01 AM

I'll try that. I had hoped that replacing the bushings and shocks would help, but it didn't. I did use rubber, not urethane.
Old August 20th, 2014, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
One thing I forgot to mention is that the vehicle's suspension will play a huge role in ride quality. Over the years I have used many different tires from many manufacturers, ranging from name brand to never heard of, in different constructions (radial and bias ply belted(?)), in many different aspect ratios and widths, and my car always had a nice, smooth ride.

I never really felt that the tire made that much of a difference in ride quality. Traction and cornering, yes, but not ride quality.

So are you saying that you noticed a considerable difference in handling when moving from the 225/70 to the 245/60?

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;733741]I think what you meant to say is that taller SIDEWALLS ride better but corner worse than shorter ones, due to less sidewall deflection with on the shorter ones. Most people say "taller tires" meaning overall diameter, not sidewall height.

225/70-14s are the closest tires to stock size that you can find today. For a street-driven car with stock suspension, you won't feel an appreciable cornering or traction difference with the smaller 245/60-14s. (The butt-dyno may disagree, especially if you just shelled out several hundred bucks for the 245/60s, but use a real G-meter and compare).
QUOTE]

Have you ever tried this? I kind of think it would be fascinating to see the results.
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM
It's a Cutlass.

Got the tires the other day. Haven't gone for ay extended rides yet but so far I like the way they feel. Softer kind of, maybe because new rubber is a little more yielding then 12 year old rubber, even if it has been garaged mostly. My wife noticed the difference in ride too, just a little less "bump" on all the road cracks etc...
They look fine too, although I can see why most people prefer the whites out. I'll post a picture this evening barring unforeseen issues.
Thanks for all the help.
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM

Awesome!

Did you end up with the 225/70/14?
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:04 AM
It's a Cutlass.

yes, BFGoodrich. Was too tired (lazy) to post pictures yesterday, will try again tonight.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:57 PM
It's a Cutlass.

a couple pics:
DSCF5580_zps2d13a89a.jpg
before:DSCF5561_zps77ea0720.jpg

After:DSCF5563_zpsea302f98.jpg
Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:22 PM

That's a good upgrade you might want to look into factory mirrors
Old August 23rd, 2014, 05:23 AM
It's a Cutlass.

yeah, factory mirrors are on the list. Someone told me "we" should finish installing the parts we already bought before buying more. I guess she's right. I've been working on the door panels and window trim, the console, a few other odds and ends. Seems every little thing leads to another and another.
I do like the wheels though, my speedo inaccuracy has improved some which is nice too. The wheels that were on will be going up for sale soon, still some life in the tires, I was told they are not weather checked but they are 12 years old. If anyone is interested you can see them on the car in my profile (for now at least).