Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Anyone run 24" rims on cutlass??

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:29 AM

I won't get into my personal dislike or option of this, so I'll stick to the techinal side of it.

Stock wheel and tire combo is about 45 to 50 lbs. Avg weight of a 24" rim, just the rim, is around 115 lbs, almost 2.5 times the weight. You WILL need to upgrade brakes and suspension. The extra 60+ lbs of rotating mass (240 lbs extra weight total of rotaing mass is differnet that 240 lbs of weight in the trunk) will cause the brakes to wear much faster, if not fail.

Suspension. Now the car is top heavy and the wheel well is too small for such a big wheel. Rubbing over bumps, turns, and the extra mass of a 150 lbs wheel tire combo at each corner will wear and break suspension parts much faster. Heavy duty shocks are ava for some older cars but not all.

Transmission. Driveshaft angle adjustment. Yes you can get it for a F-150 on Skyjackers. Not too many people lift a 76 Cutlass. Let's not forget those tiny 28 spline axle shafts. Stock, no doubt. 34 year old axle, extra 3 times the weight as normal. Not a good fourmla.
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:56 AM

I figure I'll get some negative remarks... but heck, here goes.

My '64 is on 22's.

Fitment:
22x9 front with 6.5" backspace 245/30/22
22x9 rear with 5.5" backspace 255/30/22

UMI 4035-B solid front sway bar (1.25")
KYB KG4515 front monotubes
KYB KG5507 rear monotubes
OEM spongy worn out saggy butt springs

I'm 6'2" and 320lbs, when I fold myself into the car and take on 1 or 2 passengers, the front rubs the outter fender alittle.... by myself, I have to run through a pretty good dip turned lock to lock to get it to rub. My cure for this is the ECI Narrow Track disc setup... coming soon.

By the way, these wheels are Raceline wheels.... although discontinued, they are 1pc rotary forged much like centerline wheels. Total weight with tires... approx 61lbs.

Last edited by |-K|=K; January 9th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 76_cutty
you guys are showing your age i wanted to know if anyone had EXPERIENCE with big rims.

just in case anyone wants to know, to run 24s you need to run longer studs and its is a good idea to beef up the suspension with some polyurethane and she rides like a cadillac video coming soon!!

oh yeah speedometer is on point!
what all did you do to fit the wheels and how much did the polyurethane run you???
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM

Personally i like big rims.I had 22s on my cutlass before, but switched to stock Oldsmobile 14 inch. I like my 14 inch better, rides smoother, takes off faster. For 24s i was told you had to replace your front and rear coils to a " stiffer" coil, and maybe add knuckles in the front...
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:02 AM

here are my before and after pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0109.jpg (77.1 KB, 154 views)
IMAG0577.jpg (76.6 KB, 103 views)
IMAG0582.jpg (81.0 KB, 161 views)
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by erke88
I had some 22" rims on a 71 Cutlass Supreme. Those old cars aren't meant for big rims like that. I would upgrade your suspension before running those. The 22's rubbed over any bump above 5 mph and all my bushings started falling apart. Could be because it's just old, but either way it adds a lot of stress to your suspension and not to mention your transmission... Pick up that 24" rim and feel how heavy it is. I took them off because I didn't want to tear up my car. Just a thought.
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I have some questions for you that would help me tremendously. I wish I would've seen this sooner but anyhow. I just had some wheels custom made for my 71 Cutlass. 22 x 10.5 in rear which are fine. Slight tubbing. 22 x 8.5 in front with 4.5" backspacing.This is what my guy that installed my air bags said I needed. I have changed
to an air bag suspension so I am able to drive the car but can't lower the front past the tire because it just barely touches the fender. Did you have this problem? What size 22 did you use? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I now wish I would've followed my installer's advice and gone 22 and 20 front. Oh well. No use in crying over bent fenders. (attempt at car humor)
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by 71DropTopCutDawg
I have some questions for you that would help me tremendously. I wish I would've seen this sooner but anyhow. I just had some wheels custom made for my 71 Cutlass. 22 x 10.5 in rear which are fine. Slight tubbing. 22 x 8.5 in front with 4.5" backspacing.This is what my guy that installed my air bags said I needed. I have changed
to an air bag suspension so I am able to drive the car but can't lower the front past the tire because it just barely touches the fender. Did you have this problem? What size 22 did you use? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I now wish I would've followed my installer's advice and gone 22 and 20 front. Oh well. No use in crying over bent fenders. (attempt at car humor)
4.5 was not near enough BS to get it to tuck with a big tire. Should have went with closer to the 5.5" ish range. What brand of wheels are they? Can you have them re-hooped?
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:16 AM

I'm going with 20'' all around and I have a 72 cutlass. Maybe 9.5 wide. My thing about the rims are as long as you don't have to put a lift kit and can make a full U turn without rubbing then you will be fine. Everyone has a different view on how they want their car and that should be respected. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
4.5 was not near enough BS to get it to tuck with a big tire. Should have went with closer to the 5.5" ish range. What brand of wheels are they? Can you have them re-hooped?
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:36 AM

I went with Nitto Invo. I'm not sure what you mean by re-hooped ...
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:56 AM

u can try rolling the fenders
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM

I was thinking of that but for some reason my body guy is saying I'm going to have to shorten my A-arms. I guess I messed up on the size since it was being done custom to fit. It's my mistake. I can ride high but I bagged it for a reason. I didn't spend 4 stacks to ride high. I wanted to see that thing laid out. Thanks for the help bud.
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:50 AM

i wanna see a pic of ur car!
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Will rolling the fender damage the paint?
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 72CUTTY
i wanna see a pic of ur car!
I'll post a pic here as soon as I clean it up. Tomorrow maybe. I have the first set of these wheels here in Dallas. Look them up.
American Racing: Burnout
Staggered 22"
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:06 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by re-hooped ...
The wheels you have are 2pc meaning the face and what we commonly call the lip(hoop) are welded together. If you look at it from the back you can see this, its how you get the custom backspace. This is also the reason why that same wheel in 1pc would be a lot cheaper because they would only sell the most popular sizes/backspace combos. A rehoop would require you sending them back and having American racing rebuild the wheel with a better backspacing for your setup. Nice looking wheel, it just sucks you can't enjoy the suspension you paid good money for.
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Will rolling the fender damage the paint?
if you have it done professionally , no! you may want to ask
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 72CUTTY
if you have it done professionally , no! you may want to ask
Thanks
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by csouth
The wheels you have are 2pc meaning the face and what we commonly call the lip(hoop) are welded together. If you look at it from the back you can see this, its how you get the custom backspace. This is also the reason why that same wheel in 1pc would be a lot cheaper because they would only sell the most popular sizes/backspace combos. A rehoop would require you sending them back and having American racing rebuild the wheel with a better backspacing for your setup. Nice looking wheel, it just sucks you can't enjoy the suspension you paid good money for.
Thanks. That was one of the options so I'm going to see what is best and probably at this point cheapest for me to do. I'd rather wait I think than do anything else to the fender. Thanks all for advice. Greatly appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM

My '64 had Raceline 1pc forged (used CL blanks I believe) in 22x9" with 6.5" front and 5.5" rear backspace. I know the earlier A-bodies were narrower and didn't offer as much room as your '71 so this info may be useless....

Those photos earlier in the post were with the OEM drum brakes up front.

This photo below shows the same 22's with CPP tube upper/lowers and ECI's narrow disc brake conversion.

The photo below that is the car right before I sold it on 17x7/4"BS 235/45/17 and 17x8/4.5"BS 255/45/17 tires.
Attached Images
claricefront.jpg (86.2 KB, 84 views)
3jan2012FrontLeft.jpg (109.7 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by |-K|=K; May 25th, 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Adding technical content.
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by |-K|=K
My '64 had Raceline 1pc forged (used CL blanks I believe) in 22x9" with 6.5" front and 5.5" rear backspace. I know the earlier A-bodies were narrower and didn't offer as much room as your '71 so this info may be useless....

Those photos earlier in the post were with the OEM drum brakes up front.

This photo below shows the same 22's with CPP tube upper/lowers and ECI's narrow disc brake conversion.

The photo below that is the car right before I sold it on 17x7/4"BS 235/45/17 and 17x8/4.5"BS 255/45/17 tires.

Looks good! Bet you miss her!
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Thanks. That was one of the options so I'm going to see what is best and probably at this point cheapest for me to do. I'd rather wait I think than do anything else to the fender. Thanks all for advice. Greatly appreciated.
No problem. In the end your best solution may be a little bit of fender rolling and having the wheels rehooped. Make sure when you take measurement at the ride height you're hoping to achieve with the drop. You may not be able to get the exact drop, but shoud be able to get close with a new measurements and rehoop.
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by csouth
No problem. In the end your best solution may be a little bit of fender rolling and having the wheels rehooped. Make sure when you take measurement at the ride height you're hoping to achieve with the drop. You may not be able to get the exact drop, but shoud be able to get close with a new measurements and rehoop.
Yes thanks. I'm taking her in to a very reliable fabricator here in town that is going to look at the car and we will explore these options you mentioned. I'll be back with an update once I have one do that hopefully I can help someone else before they make a mistake like I did. Thanks.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I really don't like big wheels on cars, but you will need larger brakes and different gear ratio to make it work.

Here is the only thing I like big wheels on.
I agree with u 100%. I always thought that big wheels are for trucks & 4x4's, but maybe im getting old..
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:55 PM

This is my girl...22x8.5(front) and 24x10(rear)!!! I can't remember backspacing at this moment, but the suspesion is all brand new. I even install 2'' rear lowering springs. I know some will critisize, but I get all kinds of positive feedback from old timers who say they hate big wheels, but my car and set up is tastefully done!!!!!! Let me get honest feed back!!!
Attached Images
IMAG0048.jpg (62.0 KB, 139 views)
IMAG0049.jpg (69.3 KB, 133 views)
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alex72cutty
I'm going with 20'' all around and I have a 72 cutlass. Maybe 9.5 wide. My thing about the rims are as long as you don't have to put a lift kit and can make a full U turn without rubbing then you will be fine. Everyone has a different view on how they want their car and that should be respected. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all

I agree. I've had the pleasure of owning over 15 A body cars years ranging from 68-72 and the majority of them has been on big wheels. I have a few current ones that are on 24 inch wheels and tires. I've never dealt with issues of rubbing when I turn and I've even had 3 adults in the back seat with no rubbing.
I drive my 72 hardtop cutlass more than any of my other cars and it's been sitting on 24's for about 4 years now. I've never had to upgrade to bigger brakes nor did I have to add anything to make them fit. A brake upgrade is definitely not a bad idea but also not necessary.
I think I've brought this topic up before and the purist have all type of negative things to say. It really doesn't bother me. To each his own. I also have a few cutlass' on the stock 15 inch rallies and I love those just the same.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by nuttkaze
This is my girl...22x8.5(front) and 24x10(rear)!!! I can't remember backspacing at this moment, but the suspension is all brand new. I even install 2'' rear lowering springs. I know some will criticize, but I get all kinds of positive feedback from old timers who say they hate big wheels, but my car and set up is tastefully done!!!!!! Let me get honest feed back!!!

NuttKaze......... How are you doing sir? I haven't heard from you in a long time. I'm glad to see the convertible looking good. Those rims definitely make the car stand out and the stance is beautiful.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by projectheaven
NuttKaze......... How are you doing sir? I haven't heard from you in a long time. I'm glad to see the convertible looking good. Those rims definitely make the car stand out and the stance is beautiful.
I still keep up with you on youtube..Thanks for all your help with answering questions through youtube and cardomain. I put them on there jan 2011. I haven't been messing with it to much..I purcahsed to houses and that takes all my time and money..LOL!!! I alaso purchase a 72 Impala from Cali with 63k miles!!! How have you been???
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 76_cutty
i just put some 24s on my 76 cutlass, and wanted to know if anyone else has done this? and ask if you made any trans/brake/suspension upgrades? any info is appreciated
* Not advised. Geometric measures are highly difficult.
A. You will obtain oversteer
B. Hard Ride
C. Not race ready.
D. This is merely for 'show'.
Finally, the calculations are innumerable. The size of the tires work in unison with the speedometer cable. The tire size also changes the rear axle ratio, lowering the ratio.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
As long as the overall tire height is still the same, he will not have to recalibrate the speedo.
You are correct here.
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by |-K|=K
I figure I'll get some negative remarks... but heck, here goes.

My '64 is on 22's.

Fitment:
22x9 front with 6.5" backspace 245/30/22
22x9 rear with 5.5" backspace 255/30/22

UMI 4035-B solid front sway bar (1.25")
KYB KG4515 front monotubes
KYB KG5507 rear monotubes
OEM spongy worn out saggy butt springs

I'm 6'2" and 320lbs, when I fold myself into the car and take on 1 or 2 passengers, the front rubs the outter fender alittle.... by myself, I have to run through a pretty good dip turned lock to lock to get it to rub. My cure for this is the ECI Narrow Track disc setup... coming soon.

By the way, these wheels are Raceline wheels.... although discontinued, they are 1pc rotary forged much like centerline wheels. Total weight with tires... approx 61lbs.

Don't like the design of the rim, but I like that the car is not made to fit the rims. Tucked up under the car, the way is should be
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:21 AM

To EACH HIS OWN.
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by synoptic12
To EACH HIS OWN.
Exactly. I can't see any larger than 18 fronts and 19 rears. And that is still not going to happen. JMO
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ziff396
Exactly. I can't see any larger than 18 fronts and 19 rears. And that is still not going to happen. JMO

15" "RACE READY". Need nothing more.
Old February 21st, 2020, 11:33 PM

Cutlass what size lip is that

What size lip bro
Old February 21st, 2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by nuttkaze
This is my girl...22x8.5(front) and 24x10(rear)!!! I can't remember backspacing at this moment, but the suspesion is all brand new. I even install 2'' rear lowering springs. I know some will critisize, but I get all kinds of positive feedback from old timers who say they hate big wheels, but my car and set up is tastefully done!!!!!! Let me get honest feed back!!!
What size lip on the 24