a 1969 Vista Cruiser in Australia !

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2008, 04:32 AM

a 1969 Vista Cruiser in Australia !

check it out at - http://groups.msn.com/OldsmobilesDow...ds.msnw?Page=1

I am looking a buying it ... could be happening real soon as my "modern" 1995 GM Holden sedan is starting to play up !!

more soon
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:58 AM

That is a pretty station wagon! Good luck purchasing it. Let us know if you buy it.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Registered

That does look like a very nice car, must be really rare there, hard enough to find here. I bet to transport a Vista there would probably cost more than that car by the time you bought it and shipped it, and the car would have to be really cheap, sure wouldn't look like that. I really like the venetian blinds in the back windows and the tail lights? on the gate, I have seen those blinds on a Vista ambulance. Watch out for your leg bone on that hitch sticking out the back.

Allan
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Past Administrator

What is the F28 designation?
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM

tailights and numba's

Oldsguy - F28 ? I thought it was some type of model number but if you don't know on here then I certainly don't

Allan,
Thanks for your comment ... just as i was trying to talk myself out of the idea !
The lights on the tailgate would have been put there to pass Australian Design Regulations for orange indicators at the time it was registered here.

I have photos that would seem to indicate this vehicle was built Right Hand Drive ... not converted. ie the brake booster / master cylinder is on our side not on the left like earlier conversions... this also has the hook in me regarding this vehicle because some of the conversions can be dodgey.

cheers all
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Registered

LOL, I'm not trying to convice you to buy it. I would have to use the shipping savings to convince my wife, just think that way, that's what happens when you're married 28 years. She would say don't buy it and save a lot more. It has right hand drive? that would really seal the deal. If that car isn't a bondo bucket and is as nice as it looks (and those are U.S. dollars), you could get that much for it here I bet. The right hand drive would add a premium just for the novelty of it, very uncommon to see except for some older European sports cars and postal vehicles. I wonder if they built them at Lansing with provisions for the right hand drive then exported them? or is it a factory authorized type deal of some sort? The MC on the right took some major engineering, especially with AC, or they just reversed the plans. Is the gas pedal on the left or are the pedals the same?
I think it is supposed to say F-85 for Cutlass isn't it? or maybe it is a special designation for right hand drive? I wondered about those tail lights, couldn't they find something that matched a little better?

Allan
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Mmmm... right hand drive!
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:21 AM

it has been converted to RH Drive

Allan,
I nearly did it ! ... but no... I am not purchasing the vehicle.

I talked many times with the owner ... a nice bloke who also owns a Buick something or other.
It sounds like a very good, honest vehicle with a reconditioned Olds 350, rebuilt front end, paint done by a professional about 8 years ago and still in VGC., power rear window, etc.
I told him it was a bit pricey for what I could afford and he said he'd sell it for $15,000 ... hmmm.
Then he emailed me to say he had found a vehicle he wanted to buy and would sell it "Cheap" ... I called him and he said the truck he wanted was $12000 and he would let her go for that ! I nearly drove down to see it then and there.

But ! Last night i took stock of how I could use it without getting it damaged and the vehicles I have right now including 2 projects that will cost $$ to complete ... even though one is just to be sold and decided against adding her to the fleet.

I reckon it would be a great car for someone and the bloke has been really good about the whole thing even after I pulled out of buying it.

I am looking forward toget my 67 Delta 88 Custom on the road and just cruisin' !

I asked him about the right hand drive set up and he said that it had been converted here to RHD and not done in the factory. pedals are in the same locations as LHD but on the other side.
It would've been a quality conversion, not just a quick fix like the one in my Delta, but either way it works.

Thanks for your interest and keep an eye on the website for some idea of the Oldsmobiles that have made it over to Australia.

cheres all
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Cool Ummm... please ignore previous message .. I DID buy it !!!

O M G ! ( as the hip youngsters say in their SMS's & emails ! ... for those of you who are wondering, it means Oh My God !)

Well ... I pick it up on Saturday.

The owner listed it on Ebay and the pics and description just fuelled my "want" for this vehicle too much ... plus the fact he dropped it to $10,000 ! ( not bad considering when I first found it it was listed at $18,000 !)

Why ? ... he found a pick-up that he really wanted for $12,000.

After I called him today to ask some more questions about it and found out it had -
1. reconditioned Olds 350 (I knew this one )
2. new rochester 4bbl Carb
3. new 2.25inch single system exhaust
4.new ball joints
5. new shockers
6. Interior in Very good condition
7. "Rally" wheels with Olds centres
8. needs little if anything for a Road Worthy Certificate

I SMS'd him that I had $10k and he called the guy with the pick-up and the guy agreed to sell him the vehicle for $10k cash ... so he figured its a swap for him whether its 10 or 12 grand ... so I win the Vista for $5000 less than we first talked about. WOW !

I will be in touch with more when it is in my shed !

cheers all
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:07 AM

It's home ! here's some pics ...

http://groups.msn.com/MyAussie67Olds...sieolds69.msnw

Got a lift to a Town / city called Geelong about an hour from our State capital Melbourne this morning, as a mate of mine was going to a swap meet there.

Met up with the owner and drove her back home... Excellent.

cheers all.
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Registered

Congratulations! looks like the car found an owner. It is funny how things work out sometimes. I checked out the pics and it looks really good, very nice paint, I hope mine looks as good when it's done. It sounds like you got a real nice car and a good deal too, but do you get to keep the cool license plates?

Allan
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:06 AM

Now I'm pretty sure its a 1970 model

After poking around Ebay I have found that the registration label is right - it is a 1970 model.

I guess the "OLDS 69" number plates can be interpreted in more amusing ways but yes Allan I do get to keep them and I will replace them with "OLDS 70" if they are still available.

more soon
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Congrats and when are we seeing this vehicle in new zealand ??
Some years ago I owned a 1937 olds sedan which was factory RHD --so who knows how many have been made over time as original RHD for the overseas markets
mike
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM

ummm ...

Mike,
Sorry to burst your bubble but unless I sell it it will be staying in Aus.

It has been converted to RHD from LHD at some stage.

I have OLDS70 as its plates now.