Any 73-77 Vista Cruiser or Cutlass Cruiser, owners here ?

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Any 73-77 Vista Cruiser or Cutlass Cruiser, owners here ?

I have two 73 Vistas myself and just wondering if I'm the only 73-77 Cutlass Cruiser or Vista Cruiser guy here ?
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by DennisG.
I have two 73 Vistas myself and just wondering if I'm the only 73-77 Cutlass Cruiser or Vista Cruiser guy here ?
I doubt it, there are lots of guys on this forum who have cars in the year range you are talking about. Most of the ones with VC projects or builds on the go right now range from 68-72 though. I'm surprised though, you know the drill around here by now...show us the pics!

I think it's too bad that none of them had the vista roofs though. Kind of like a misnomer in naming it IMO. Olds only made the VC until 77. Although I understood they kept the product line, I wish they had kept that vista roof. I also wish they had incorporated it into the Custom Cruiser.

I think it would be so cool for someone with photoshop skills to add a vista roof to the 73-77 lineup to see what it would look like.
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I doubt it, there are lots of guys on this forum who have cars in the year range you are talking about. Most of the ones with VC projects or builds on the go right now range from 68-72 though. I'm surprised though, you know the drill around here by now...show us the pics!

I think it's too bad that none of them had the vista roofs though. Kind of like a misnomer in naming it IMO. Olds only made the VC until 77. Although I understood they kept the product line, I wish they had kept that vista roof. I also wish they had incorporated it into the Custom Cruiser.

I think it would be so cool for someone with photoshop skills to add a vista roof to the 73-77 lineup to see what it would look like.
Actually I'm kinda surprised because I know of several of these cars around and I'm sure with all the members here there has to be at least one other member with one.

If you wanna talk a misnomer then google Vista Cruiser and see what you get. You see motorhomes and travel trailers.

As for the Vista roofs. I'm not very fond of them myself. Kinda one of the reasons I like the 73-77's and there not like belly buttons and bungholes like the 72 and older. Just saying.........

Mine are nothing special to look at. I'll post pics in the future.

If anyone has any pics of any please feel free to post them.
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Actually I'm kinda surprised because I know of several of these cars around and I'm sure with all the members here there has to be at least one other member with one.

If you wanna talk a misnomer then google Vista Cruiser and see what you get. You see motorhomes and travel trailers.

If anyone has any pics of any please feel free to post them.
Hey Dennis,
I know what you mean about the 'vista' misnomer relating to other things.
re: flattops vs vista roofs? I guess it comes down to personal preferences. I like both styles, but truth is I like the 65-72 raised vista roof better.

Dad had the option of buying a 73 VC or a Chev Malibu wagon new out of the showroom. The VC was way more expensive than the chev so he picked it. I liked the style and powerplant in the VC more, but I wasn't paying the bill. Just got to drive it...One thing I did like was the amount of glass space you could see out of, and the rear hatch wasn't a clunky 2 piece unit. Drawback? you couldn't open the rear window for more ventilation.

I googled VC and there are TONS of pics ranging from 65-77. Its a wagon that really holds its own.

Web shot of a 73

From our Olds only car show in "Olds" Alberta, a very nice 65 VC (not mine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
65 Vista right.jpg (66.8 KB, 114 views)
65 Vista side roof.jpg (73.3 KB, 79 views)
65 Vista Interior.jpg (67.4 KB, 106 views)
65 Vista Emblem.jpg (45.4 KB, 73 views)
65 Vista wire wheel cover.jpg (72.7 KB, 68 views)
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM
new waver

I've got a 1977!! A little over 60K original miles.

IMG_1965.jpg
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

And it has those coveted 'poverty' caps! That's the exact same color my Dad bought in 73. It can get dirty and not show it. Very nice looking ride.

What kind of options besides AC?
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 77vista
I've got a 1977!! A little over 60K original miles.

Thats nice. Is that a Cutlass Cruiser or a Vista Cruiser ? Please share some more pics and info.
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:35 PM

I have a '76 cutlass wagon.

its nice to finally have a place where other people have the same/similar cars, my car is the only one I have been able to find of its type.

G2jaX.jpg
Old December 31st, 2011, 10:06 PM
new waver

Thats nice. Is that a Cutlass Cruiser or a Vista Cruiser ? Please share some more pics and info.
Its a Vista Cruiser. Its optioned very oddly, power windows, locks and split bench and A/C. But no tilt, cruise or radio. I'm guessing this is a 1/1 car, being that it was custom ordered in December of 76. Its a very plain car other than the options I listed. Finding any other 76/77 Vista Cruisers isn't to common, as I have never seen another in person. I've only see two other Cutlasses in person.

Oh and I wouldn't mind getting a set of full wheel covers for it, cause I don't want to loose my dog dishes!

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

Oh and 1976Oldswagon lets see some more of your Cruiser!!
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:36 PM

there is a whole bunch of pics in this thread
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
new waver

Originally Posted by 1976Oldswagon
there is a whole bunch of pics in this thread
One sweet wagon. Whats under the hood of yours?

I had to spend a few days just driving the monster to get the feel for it.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:25 AM

One sweet wagon. Whats under the hood of yours?

I had to spend a few days just driving the monster to get the feel for it.
the 455

I know how it is, I learned to drive in my moms FWD V6 honda pilot, which is top heavy, under powered, and is a generally bad vehicle from the drivers view...than I got this cutlass, its heavy, but its all close to the ground, RWD, and has more torque than I know what to do with...

its been a few months, and now I know my corners, and how it will behave in situations...

I still can't park it though
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:31 PM
new waver

And I thought my 350 got bad gas milage at 12-13 in town. I bet the 455 gets worse than that. I've been the same, have had nothing but four cylinder cars till this point. I'm really liking the torque it has, plus like you mentioned on how low it sits makes it handle it better and it feels more portioned out.

Oh since we have the same style, do you mind taking a picture of how the spare tire is mounted, or scan that part of the owners manual if you have it? I can't seem to get it right on mine.
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:53 PM

^I will when I get back to the car

its tricky, the plastic clips on the bottom of the cover have to line up, and the tire has to be in right...

I am getting ~8 mpg in town, but like 35 on the freeway (tall gears ftw)
Old January 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM

Nice cars guys. Welcome abaord and don't forget to check out this site also.

http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/index.php?
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Oh since we have the same style, do you mind taking a picture of how the spare tire is mounted, or scan that part of the owners manual if you have it? I can't seem to get it right on mine.
alright, pics coming

I don't know what part you are curious about, but I will post all I've got

https://i.imgur.com/kcRi8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IXePF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VOeOW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IVQeo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Yz2tG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6CXYU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FH78E.jpg

sorry for cell phone pictures
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM
new waver

Perfect. Thanks a million. I have the jack in wrong so the tire doesn't fit quite right. Getting the tire in will be my Saturday project.

I'm just glad to see that my interior isn't the only one thats faded and slowly turning to dust.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Here's a pic of one of my two 1973 Vistas. It's rough, just a beater. I bought it as a parts car for my other one. It runs and drives. I use it as my beater. I just don't have the heart to take it apart.

Vista-winter.jpg

And a couple of pics of the spare tire and jack stowage.
parts2550.jpg
2323232327Ffp632373Enu3D32433E3A3A33E8523E23343A3A3943259ot1lsi.jpg
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
new waver

Some great pictures DennisG! Now I know where that little metal piece goes.

That 73 looks too good to tear apart, I'm all about the preservation of older cars. Always kills me to know good ones are taken apart for no reason than the need of a handful of pieces.
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM
NOVICE car nut

Its a Vista Cruiser. Its optioned very oddly, power windows, locks and split bench and A/C. But no tilt, cruise or radio. I'm guessing this is a 1/1 car, being that it was custom ordered in December of 76. Its a very plain car other than the options I listed. Finding any other 76/77 Vista Cruisers isn't to common, as I have never seen another in person. I've only see two other Cutlasses in person.

Oh and I wouldn't mind getting a set of full wheel covers for it, cause I don't want to loose my dog dishes!

who would order a car with no radio ? seems kinda strange and the dash looks naked
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:52 AM

My Daily Driver Is.....

My 1974 Vista Cruiser,,and I love driving it..It's just old enough to be an attention grabbing cool looking Cutlass wagon,,and is a very respectable driver...Brown with matching Ralley Wheels,White letter tires, air shocks and sweet sounding duel exhaust. I tried to upload pics of it , but the files must be too big or something. I'll se if I can add some pics to my album here in my profile....
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:15 AM

That's a cool 73 Vista.. I wishI could find a 74 in the junk yard,,there's quite a few '73-'77 Cutlass 2 doors at the local junk yard right now,,I'll never see a wagon out there 'cause there just arn't any. Even if I could find a 4 door, I'd like to clean up the interior a little, all the plastic parts are dry rotted, and crumbling to pieces. I have a floor shift steering column, bucket seats, part of a broken console shell , and a real sweet whole dashboard I took out of a '74 Cutlass Supreme and some day I plan to convert the interior over to bucket seats. Not like I'm planning to restore it or anything, certainly can't afford to buy a console/floor shifter for this old daily driver, but if I happen to find a '73-'77 Concole set-up in the junk yard,,,,Also want body side molding for both back doors and right front fender, as that fender had to be replaced after a fender bender accident,(by the preveious owner), with a white Cutlass Supreme fender,,rust free,,but with the wrong molding,,,anyway, I'm very proud of my '74 Vista,,and well,,it's going on 38 years as a daily user car, still running on it's origonal engine.....
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:34 AM

I almost forgot to mention it only gets about 12 miles to the gallon, and I drive it 28 miles round trip to work and back every day. The rest of the time it sits in our garage. With todays gasoline prices, it's nearly impractical to continue driving such an old car,,but I just love it..it gives me a feeling of being able to affford driving it and allows me the feeling of "turning my nose up" at newer cars that I know are inferior to my classic Oldsmobile....

Last edited by drcutlass; February 19th, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Cool. Another one to add. I might have some of the trim. I'de have to see pics of your car to match it up. If you want to email me your pics I'll post them for you. W451973@aol.com.

Have you seen this board yet ? http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/index.php?

You should join up if you are not already a member.

Oh, forgot to mention. My 73 in the pic is a factory 455, dual exhaust, t-400 and a posi rear end.

Last edited by DennisG.; February 19th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Here ya go. That is a sharp looking ride.

IMG_1385.jpg
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:08 PM

does anyone else have problems closing their rear doors? mine almost have to be slammed...I have greased and WD-40'd all the inner assemblies, but its still MUCH more difficult than the front doors...
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM

12.jpg

1.jpg

Here's a couple pics of my '74 Vista Cruiser,,let's see if they post..
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM

IMG_0971.jpg
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:30 PM

Cool. Another one to add. I might have some of the trim. I'de have to see pics of your car to match it up. If you want to email me your pics I'll post them for you. W451973@aol.com.

Have you seen this board yet ? http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/index.php?

You should join up if you are not already a member.

Oh, forgot to mention. My 73 in the pic is a factory 455, dual exhaust, t-400 and a posi rear end.
Registration has been disabled by administrator....bummer,,can't join '73-'77 Olds forums
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by drcutlass
Registration has been disabled by administrator....bummer,,can't join '73-'77 Olds forums
I'll put in a word for you. Are you using the same drcutlass name ?
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:33 PM

does anyone else have problems closing their rear doors? mine almost have to be slammed...I have greased and WD-40'd all the inner assemblies, but its still MUCH more difficult than the front doors...

Mine do it also. And the doors still look like they're not closed all the way.
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM

Attachment 66015

Attachment 66016

Here's a couple pics of my '74 Vista Cruiser,,let's see if they post..

Sorry about your pics. I forgot when I moved them it would kill the link here.
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dennis, the links still work when you clik on them. They just come up in a separate window. 2 Beautiful looking cars BTW
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:57 PM

has anyone put a dual exhaust on one of these?

mine was desmogged, but as I move forward with engine modifications, I don't want to be restricted by my primitive exhaust. a local muffler shop quoted me $300 for a high flowing but still quiet dual exhaust set up, but they don't know how to do it with the transmission cross member (which has a dip to cope with the stock system)

the entire passenger side of the car has a higher floor to cope with the exhaust system.

my idea is to run the stock crossover pipe, but cut it where it would curve up to go to the passenger side manifold, bend it back, and run it parallel to the stock exhaust (which would now be the passenger side exhaust). for mufflers I would use 2 of these off-brand silencers the shop has that are dead silent, and flow extremely well (chrysler trucks used these at some time) I would then run the exhaust out behind the wheels similar to the stock set up, except on both sides of the vehicle.

some mild custom headers that my friend's uncle's brother inlaw's friend's wife's step brother makes would fit in the stock position with minimal modification needed. (he said he'd do it for $175)

if anyone has a dual exhaust, please post some pictures.
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:47 AM

has anyone put a dual exhaust on one of these?

mine was desmogged, but as I move forward with engine modifications, I don't want to be restricted by my primitive exhaust. a local muffler shop quoted me $300 for a high flowing but still quiet dual exhaust set up, but they don't know how to do it with the transmission cross member (which has a dip to cope with the stock system)

the entire passenger side of the car has a higher floor to cope with the exhaust system.

my idea is to run the stock crossover pipe, but cut it where it would curve up to go to the passenger side manifold, bend it back, and run it parallel to the stock exhaust (which would now be the passenger side exhaust). for mufflers I would use 2 of these off-brand silencers the shop has that are dead silent, and flow extremely well (chrysler trucks used these at some time) I would then run the exhaust out behind the wheels similar to the stock set up, except on both sides of the vehicle.

some mild custom headers that my friend's uncle's brother inlaw's friend's wife's step brother makes would fit in the stock position with minimal modification needed. (he said he'd do it for $175)

if anyone has a dual exhaust, please post some pictures.
The way it's usually done, is to make a pipe for the left manifold,(driver side), running back to a muffler and tail pipe on the left side of the car. Then on the right manifold, cut the crossover pipe to a short nub, pinch it closed and weld the pinch. "They" also make a cap for this very purpose. Then just use the stock exhaust pipe configuration on the right side, as it would normally be with single exhaust. I'll take pics of my '74 Vista Cruiser's duel system and post them. I've had this procedure done several times on A-body Olds in the past without any problems. I've never seen a transmission cross member that didn't hump upwards on both sides to accommodate duel exhaust. I also recommend using 2.5 inch aluminized pipes.

Last edited by drcutlass; April 13th, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:32 AM

I'll put in a word for you. Are you using the same drcutlass name ?
Yes,,I always use drcutlass,,here and on Station Wagon Forums.com,,Thanks...
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:25 PM

The way it's usually done, is to make a pipe for the left manifold,(driver side), running back to a muffler and tail pipe on the left side of the car. Then on the right manifold, cut the crossover pipe to a short nub, pinch it closed and weld the pinch. "They" also make a cap for this very purpose. Then just use the stock exhaust pipe configuration on the right side, as it would normally be with single exhaust. I'll take pics of my '74 Vista Cruiser's duel system and post them. I've had this procedure done several times on A-body Olds in the past without any problems. I've never seen a transmission cross member that didn't hump upwards on both sides to accommodate duel exhaust. I also recommend using 2.5 inch aluminized pipes.
well then I suppose I have a freak

PYcfQaN.jpg
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:33 PM

That pic of your trans cross member through me for a loop,,I've never seen one like that before,,also,,it was my first glimpse of the underneath of any Oldsmobile newer than 1974,,,Here's some pics of my '74 Vista duel pipes. You can see the trans cross member, and the way the cross over pipe on the right manifold has been welded. If I was facing the cross member issue that you're dealing with,,personally,,,I'd postpone the exhaust work at least until I tried to find a different transmission cross member from a '73-'74 Vista Cruiser,,I know,,that would be hard to find,,,however,,It just might be the same as a Cutlass of that year. I'd look into it and at least see if a cross member swap would work,,there's lots of '73-'77 Cutlasses at Gibsons Auto Salvage in Neenah,Wi.,,,Just down the road from where I live. I wanna go there maybe this weekend anyway,,and as long as I;m there,,I could attempt to measure one as per transmission mount and frame mounting holes,,and for over all length. I'll ask how much they want if we determine it will fit...or,put an add out for one yourself,,,,that's what I would do anyway....The cross member is the only thing standing in your way,,I'd swap it out with one like mine..
Attached Images
IMG_0012.jpg (59.4 KB, 49 views)
IMG_0013.jpg (51.7 KB, 43 views)
IMG_0014.jpg (64.6 KB, 46 views)
IMG_0015.jpg (64.2 KB, 47 views)
IMG_0016.jpg (67.3 KB, 46 views)
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Here's a pic of the cross member and transmission mount,,mine has the THM 400,,I still think swapping out that cross member is the way to go...
Attached Images
IMG_0018.jpg (48.7 KB, 74 views)
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:01 PM

My car also has the TH400, although I will be upgrading to a 700R4 or a 200R4 and dropping the final drive ratio.

nice floorboards...has your car always been a northern car?

when I do that swap, I think I will cut the crossmember, and weld in a piece of 4 inch pipe, to give me room to run an exhaust pipe through it.

can you post some pics of how the exhaust leaves the car?

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Any 73-77 Vista Cruiser or Cutlass Cruiser, owners here ?