differences between vista and flat top?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2017, 10:11 AM

differences between vista and flat top?

The interior on my flat top wagon was mostly missing when i purchased the car. I have been looking for these pieces on and off for a little while but have had little luck. I have found a few Vista cruisers that are being parted out and was wondering where the differences are as far as interior for these.
I am missing all of the cargo panels as well as some of the interior rear window trim, rear door panels and lower c-pillar panels. Does anyone know if any of these pieces are interchangeable?

Thank you
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:42 AM

The front doors and door panels will interchange with Vista's and 4 door cars. The rear doors on the Vista Cruiser are longer, I think its about 7 inches longer on the 1970. I know the rear door glass is different between the flat topped wagon and 4 door, but I don't know if the door panels will interchange between the two. The rear side glass is different between the flat top and Vista Cruiser as is the plastic trim on the pillar between the back seat and back cargo area. Not sure if the spare tire cover and area over the gas tank interchange. Other A-body flat top wagons will have interior parts that interchange, but wagons of any make are getting harder to find.

John
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Olds Collector

The wheelbase of the Vistas are longer than the flat tops. The difference in the body is the rear doors so fur sure the rear door panels are not interchangeable. The Vista rear doors are longer than the ones on the flat top. The upper "C" panels won't work either because of the windows. I am not sure about the lower "C" panels and the load floor areas. Flat tops don't have the third seat option. Vistas come either way. I would guess that flat top rear floor panels would match a Vista with two seats. I am not sure about the side panel matches that are upholstered to match the interior between the two and three seat wagons. I would measure before purchase. It is likely you will have more help on this question from other members. The rear window inside trim should work as well as the inside tail gate panel. Keep in mind 68-72 wagons are the same so there is some selection of several years for matching parts. I wish you well with your project and you have come to the right place for help. Trent in Los Angeles
Old April 18th, 2017, 11:23 AM

I have some nice door panels from a '72 Cutlass 4 door that would work for your car.