The Stickman's Custom Cruiser Build thread

Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM

The Stickman's Custom Cruiser Build thread

Ok this will be where everyone will be able to see all the is and will be done to my 1984 Custom Cruiser. Let's start with what it looked like when I first bought it and what it had.

ebay378.jpg

ebay377.jpg
It has a matt black paint job and dark tinted windows all around. The wheels are Wheel Vintiques that are powdercoated red with baby moon hubcaps. The interior was stock with the exception of a pillar mounted tach. It had a generic radio/Cd player. It had the stock 307 and 200R4 trans. It ran ok but smelled bad. I knew sooner or later I would get rid of the computer controled carb, airpump and all other garbage cluttering the engine bay. The first modification was to add a toch screen radio/cd/dvd player.
100_0493.jpg
The main reason for this unit was to add a backup cam.
100_0494.jpg
100_0499.jpg
The backup cam was a fairly simple mod. Had to run one cable to an AV in and then a power wire which I put through a toggle switch. When I bought the radio I was hoping to leave the cam on screen while listening to the radio but it doesn't work that way. I also wanted to add one to the side mirror but have yet to get to that. Then I had to add a remote antenna. The stock fender one was broken off so I needed an antenma. But I liked the uncluttered look and a hidden one would be better. I bought a powered one for better reception.
100_0517.jpg
I put it on the far back side window behine the tint. You can't even tell it's there.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM

I then bought a 1972 Olds 350 off of Ebay for $400. The auction stated it was a 350 with Edelbrock intake and possible cam. The guy paid more for it and was hoping it would get bid up but no one but me bid. After I got it home I pulled a valve cover only to find Competition Cams roller tipped rockers. So I am guessing it also has a cam. I think what happened was the guy bought the engine for his truck thinking a 350 is a 350, not knowing Olds engines have different bellhousing bolt patterns.
100_0506.jpg
100_0512.jpg
100_0513.jpg
100_0515.jpg
100_0508.jpg
100_0507.jpg
It would be a very long time till this engine would see the inside of my car. I wanted to wait till closer to the end of the car show/cruisenight season.
The next addition was a simple one. A Batwing aircleaner. I always loved the look of these. And the black color and theme fit my car.
100_0453.jpg
Then I was at a u-pull-it junkyard and found a Caprice LT-1 dual fan aluminum radiator. So I picked it up.
100_0518.jpg
I hate scraping my knuckles on that clutchfan. And I hate the way it looks. So the swap was made and it looks so much cleaner. I still have to made a better looking hold down for it though.
100_0973.jpg
100_0974.jpg
100_0975.jpg
Because I was adding this I decided to add an external transmission cooler. I like the finned cylinder ones so I bought a 24 inch one and mounted it in place of the plastic thing that mounts under the radiator. I know it's there to direct air in and around the radiator and engine bay. I figure the cooler is about the same size so it should work in both capacities. I did notice my transmisssion worked better afterwards. Before it had some issues and will get a rebuild and shift kit in the future.
100_0976.jpg
100_0977.jpg
I also added a controller for the fans as I didn't want it on at all times and wasn't going to rely on me flipping a switch.
100_0979.jpg
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM

I also lowered the car using Edlebrock/Eibach springs. I always thought the nose looked kinda high and thought this would fix it. It didn't really. The car is level if you measure the rocker panel height. I may take an inch out of the springs in the spring.
100_0745.jpg
I then started looking at installing the 350. I knew I needed a carb and found one on Craigslist. A Holley 4 barrel. It was cheap. I had my wife rebuild it as I trust her more than i do myself at such things.
100_1305.jpg
100_1303.jpg
I started to get things ready for the swap.
100_1352.jpg
100_1354.jpg
Little did I know this is not how things would be in the end.
100_1589.jpg
100_1598.jpg
100_1597.jpg
I had wanted true duals on the car but was in no hurry to spend that cash. But when I yanked the 307 I had to cut off the crossover tube to get it out. So duals would come sooner than later. Therefore I needed a dual hump crossmember. Thank God my wife is a welder.
100_1590.jpg
100_1591.jpg
100_1592.jpg
100_1593.jpg
It worked rather nice.
The engine was in and I was boltng up all the brackets and realized my wire braided hose and AN fittings wouldn't really fit with the mechanical Holley fuel pump and the A/C brackets. So to took it off and my wife made me this.
ATT00002.jpg
So then I needed an electric fuel pump. Ug what a problem this would be. But not for any reason you might think. The problems came from disturbing the old rusted fuel lines. I put the electic Holley fuel pump on ahead of the passenger side rear wheel and replace all the fuel lines foward of that. Now keep in mind that it took me like 10 weeks to get to this point. Why? Well I suffer from severe Migraines. I get them everyday. Just depends on when I get them. And how bad. In the past I would have had the swap done a whole lot quicker. Anyway I tried to get the engine running only to find for some reason the fuel bowls would not fill. I tried to figure it out and decided it would simply be easier to run a Quadrajet. With teh Holley I had to run a 1inch spacer. I also had an Edelbrock carb and that wouldn't work even with a 1inch spacer. And I wasn't going higher and having to cut a hole in the hood. So I ordered the carb and had to wait a few weeks. But I got it and installed it. And imediately had to reroute all my properly planned hose and regulator layout.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:39 PM

Well now I had to figure out how to do all my nice wire braided hose, AN fittings and regulator. The inlet of the carb is in a different location and had a different thread. Well I had to move the regulator to the passenger side fender well. I bought a union and an Elbow fitting to mount to the carb. Well that didn't work at it was up against the radiator neck. So I took the fuel filter hosing off the carb and bought another fitting. I got all of this mounted cycled the fuel pump only to find it leaking at the new fitting on the carb. I take it off to find the cause is casting marks on the carb not allowing a good seal. The car was already on the car so I simply found a big file and went to work. The casting marks were kinda deep so I was at it for awhile. But it all worked out well. Then it was time to see if all my work was worth it. I turn the key and this is what I got.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocZ8_tTMbr0
Can you tell how happy i was?
Haha baby was now alive. Now that she was running I finished putting her back together. I would take her to the muffler shop the next day for the duals. Now I needed to cap the place where the crossover pipe went. Now I could have had them do it. But I trusted my wife more so I had her make this.
ATT00011.jpg
ATT00010.jpg
ATT00009.jpg
ATT00008_jpg1_.jpg
We had it towed to the shop as I couldn't drive it that loud. He wasn't that thrilled though. We told them to bring a rollback but he said it would have been just as hard. He towed it from the rear. He had to as the bumper nad spare tire well would drag. The spare tire well will be eliminated over the winter. I will still carry a spare in the same spot. I will just raise it up and make a new cover to go over the tire. I drove it home with difficulty. It was out of tune and the battery was bad. A new battery solved many ills. As did a proper tuning. Here is how she now sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2fmZ68ADVI
You can hear in the backround a slight squeel of the belts. They were much worse at startup. Turns out I needed to put the A/C belt on to balance things out. Here are pcs of the exhaust system.
100_2811.jpg
100_2810.jpg
100_2812.jpg
100_2808.jpg
100_2817.jpg
100_2809.jpg
100_2813.jpg
The mufflers are bigger than I would have wanted but to be truthful they turn out to be perfect. It is not loud inside. But just right at the back. Now all I have to do is fix my intake vacuum leak and she should run much better. I will be working on these during the week in hopes of having them on soon.
100_2818.jpg
100_2819.jpg
100_2820.jpg
100_2821.jpg
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:41 AM

Good job and nice story to go with it. Keep us posted
(I need to get a find like your engine, I have been looking)
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Nicely done. I saw your car this summer at GMs @ Carlisle.
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Nice story! Looks like you are making some good progress.

One thing that would be cool is instead of a toggle switch for your backup cam, hook a relay to the reverse light switch and the cam will switch on whenever you hit reverse!

It must be nice to have a wife who is in the mechanical field AND does such a good job at it!

Keep up the good work!
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:45 AM

SWEET!
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nicely done. I saw your car this summer at GMs @ Carlisle.
Yea we were going to stay all day but we took our room mate with us and she doesn't tolerate heat well, so we had to leave early. We weren't very happy but had to do it. I heard someone stopped by the car and asked for me. We were doing a quick walk of the flea market.
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Nice story! Looks like you are making some good progress.

One thing that would be cool is instead of a toggle switch for your backup cam, hook a relay to the reverse light switch and the cam will switch on whenever you hit reverse!

It must be nice to have a wife who is in the mechanical field AND does such a good job at it!

Keep up the good work!
The reason I used a switch was so that I could turn it on whenever I wanted. It is nice to use going down the road. Better than a rearview mirror.
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM
69CuttyS

Awesome story!
Car looks good too!
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
442=A perfect 10

Nice documentation...I know your going to have fun with that combo.

PM sent

Fred
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM

Here is a mild update. I received my wheels today. They are 18X9 Boss series 304'swheels and they look great. In the next 2 weeks or so there should be even more updates as parts arrive. This car will be very different by spring.

100_3054.jpg

100_3055.jpg
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Registered Luser

Thumbs up

A couple of things that of taken from your story so far-
1-Cool Wife(she rebuilds carbs, welds, does she have a sister?LOL)
2-What you are doing IS hot rodding...old school!
3-wagons rule
4-I suffered from severe migraines my whole life to the point I was getting CAT scans and MRIs and every prescription in the book. I'm on a script called topamax now and haven't had one since. Ask your doc...seriously!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
A couple of things that of taken from your story so far-
1-Cool Wife(she rebuilds carbs, welds, does she have a sister?LOL)
2-What you are doing IS hot rodding...old school!
3-wagons rule
4-I suffered from severe migraines my whole life to the point I was getting CAT scans and MRIs and every prescription in the book. I'm on a script called topamax now and haven't had one since. Ask your doc...seriously!

Thanx for the compliments, and no she doesn't have a sister. I have tried topamax and every other migraine medicine. Nothing works. I am a problem child when it comes to this. Hell New years eve morning I was woken up by a bad one to the point I had to do and injection. It took the severe pain away but not all of it. And around 4pm another bad attack rolled in and I needed another Imitrex injection. My Doc wants me to stick to only two doses a week of either shots or pills for my imitrex and I blew that in the corse of 9 hours?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM

I have tried topamax
Be aware of the side effects of Topomax. My mother was taking it for the longest time because of her "essential tremors" (body shakes similar to Parkinson's). We found out that she had difficulty speaking because of the Topomax. It wasn't an inability to speak but a condition called "word finiding difficulty." My mother would start a sentence and couldn't finish it because she couldn't remember what word came next. Once she got off of the Topomax it virtually went away.

BTW, your wagon is AWSOME! I liked the red and chrome wheels you had on it before but I think the new wheels will be cool too. Keep us posted.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM

Love the wagon

Does it see any track time? If I still had the Delta we could race, but I race the Alero sometimes

I run points at Englishtown
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Be aware of the side effects of Topomax. My mother was taking it for the longest time because of her "essential tremors" (body shakes similar to Parkinson's). We found out that she had difficulty speaking because of the Topomax. It wasn't an inability to speak but a condition called "word finiding difficulty." My mother would start a sentence and couldn't finish it because she couldn't remember what word came next. Once she got off of the Topomax it virtually went away.

BTW, your wagon is AWSOME! I liked the red and chrome wheels you had on it before but I think the new wheels will be cool too. Keep us posted.

Damn I have that too. I think it might be from the migraines as they do have tons of side effects most people have no idea about. But now i wonder if I still have it from the Topamax.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Love the wagon

Does it see any track time? If I still had the Delta we could race, but I race the Alero sometimes

I run points at Englishtown

It may see track time but not in a straight line. I may AuotX it or road race it at Pocono once I get the rear discs and suspension mods.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM

They have AutoX at Pocono?

They just opened the Auto X track at Englishtown over the summer and they gave a free lap time to warm the track up. Ran both the Alero and the Delta on the track.

The Alero did pretty good, and the Delta did really good considering what it was. It was hard to control, but at 70 MPH at top speed and jamming around the turns, never slid once, WITH THE STOCK SUSPENSION Of course my front tires were ripped up around the edges

BTW 350 Olds's don't like autoX track. Use a lot of water wetter. Mine toped out around 240* that day
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM

They have AutoX in philly and NE PA regions. But Pocono has road courses in the infield. They can actually run 3 road courses at once. Most don't even know they are there. I have been there before running mostly the north course which is the infield portion that comes out right at pit entry then goes backwards thru NASCAR turn 3 towards the tunnel turn. Right before the tunnel turn you enter the infiled portion which is tight and twisty. Very fun to do.
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Well I finally got some steering wheels for us and installed them today. I took off the old goofy looking plastic one and put on a leather one from a Fiero. It has the nice contoured grips and is so comfy. Yes I know It hasd the Fiero horn cap. I will be trying to fix that in the future. It's also a little dirty. I will need to take some cleaner to it.

100_3068.jpg

100_3069.jpg
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM

Well parts have been arriving pretty often lately. I now have a TransGo 200-4R HD2 shift kit for my 200-4R transmission. It will give me either full manual control up or down thru the gears for 1st,2nd, and 3rd gears. Or I can stick in in OD and let it do all the work.
100_0886.jpg
Today I recieved my new shifter. It is made by Brian Kilduff and is one sweet piece. His shifters are made to order so you can't go wrong here.
100_0871.jpg

100_0873.jpg

100_0874.jpg

100_0875.jpg

100_0876.jpg

100_0879.jpg
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM

Now if I am going to run a floor shifter I have to replace the bench seat with a set of bucket seats. And I had a few options. I could have found some comfy buckets so it would be similar to what the bench feels like. Or I have a bunch of Fiero seats I could have had recovered. But since this car handles great as is and will only get better to the point I may want to do some track days with it I felt that something closer to a competition seat should be in order. So I found these off of Ebay and it so happens they were fairly local so it saved me some cash. I really like the look. Wait till you see what I do with them.
100_0881.jpg

100_0882.jpg

100_0883.jpg
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Registered Luser

Shifter looks bad a@#! If it doesn't work you could probably use it for roadrage or something...
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
Past Administrator

Interesting thread, thanks for the pictures too. This will be a one-of-a-kind car when finished.
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Well more parts have been recieved for my build(s). I found two distributors off of Craigslist. The first one was a Mallory Uni-Lite vacuum advance distributor. It is used but looks ok. I paid $100 and the guy threw in the MSD wires and Blaster 2 coil.
000_0002.jpg
The second distributor was a brand new in the box MSD Pro Billet unit. This I got for $175 which I thought was a steal. So much so I didn't even try to haggle.
000_0003.jpg
Now why 2 distributors? Well the MSD distributor must be used with an MSD box. Now I have a used 7AL-2 unit. BUT it happens to be a 4 cylinder only part. So I am trying to find out what I need to do to send it back along with this coil to have rebuild at a fraction of the cost of new.
100_2796.jpg
Note the coil has an aluminum heat sink around it. This will not only look cool but I have yet to see one on another car. So I can't use the MSD distributor until I have a box and coil to use with it. So I can use the Mallory until all that get's figured out. I hope to have the Mallory in this weekend depending on the weather. It should improve my spark and timing. The Mallory has to be a vast improvement over the tired old HEI unit. And once I have all the parts I need to use the MSD distributor the Mallory can go in the wife's car providing we find an Olds engine for her's soon.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM

LOVE THE KNUCKS!!! nice ride!
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Ok bucket seats day 2. My car is becoming more and more like my vision of a high performance touring car like i want. We worked on getting the drivers seat perfect and making brackets for the passenger seat. It took most of the day(well started at 1pm) but now I have both front seats mounted, and I can work on the backs. Here are the newest piccs of both installed. BTW there should be alot of updates this week as I plan on lowering the front end and will be getting my wheel spacers and poly bushings for the front end.
100_3129.jpg
100_3130.jpg
100_3131.jpg
100_3132.jpg
100_3133.jpg
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM

Well I have been slacking off with the updates so I will try to get up to date in the next few days as I will have more after that with a new radiator and intake, as well as a rebuilt trans with shift kit after it's rebuilt.

So here's what you have missed. I rebuilt the front suspension with Energy Suspension bushings and I took the Eibach springs out of the front and put the F41 RPO code springs back in. First I took a half coil off and it brought it down to the level of the Eibachs and I wanted more of a drop. SO I hacked off a whole nother coil. That might have been more extreme then I had originally wanted. But the looks and ride are perfect. So I got way lucky. Here's some picks.
100_3292.jpg

100_3291.jpg

100_3289.jpg

100_3297.jpg
Here's how I want the rear to be with some help from a friend.
100_3298.jpg
Here are some coilover brackets that my wife made. Problem is I have 2 pair of Coilovers that are too long so we have to figure a way to find the extra space for them.
100_3299.jpg

100_3307.jpg

100_3308.jpg

100_3306.jpg
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM

Well I promised more updates and here they are. Here are some body mods I did with the bumpers. First the front bumpers are tucked in. The one bumper shock was partially collapsed so I collapsed it all the way. Now to collapse the other one I had to drill a hole in it. Then I stripped the bumper down and painted it black.
100_3952.jpg

100_4034.jpg

100_4033.jpg
Then onto the rear bumper. I stripped it down and painted it black like the front. I took it off the mounts and put it against the body and it looks great. But I have to figure out the mounts to get it right but here is how I want it to like
100_3944.jpg

100_3946.jpg

100_3945.jpg
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Registered Luser

A fun and KOOL project! Keep the updates coming. So far, I like everything you change, modify or upgrade! I know how hard it can be day to day dealing with the migraines, puking and just trying to function...working on my rides has a way of relaxing me!
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Here is the rear suspension mods I have done. These are my Metco Billet Aluminum LCA's. I really like these arms. They are very nice quality pieces.
100_4106.jpg

100_4110.jpg
They allowed me to mount a sedan swaybar on may wagon until I can get a set of much bigger wagon bars.
100_4113.jpg
Here are the arms mounted without the swaybar mounted.
100_4115.jpg

100_4118.jpg
Here it is with the swaybar mounted.
100_4123.jpg

100_4125.jpg

100_4126.jpg
ANd here is a pic showing the twist in it.
100_4129.jpg
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice project wagon! Thumbs up on all the work so far. I look forward to seeing it at Carlisle!
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Hangin' out...

I've gotta agree, it's been pure pleasure to read this thread. Stickman, keep on keepin' on!
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Ok I bought a new Edebrock High rise Performer intake part #7111. I bought it cause the old Performer is warped to hell and I need to fix the leak problem. ALthough I think it might be a problem with the head because the cast iron intake leaked at the EGR crossover too. But then again I didn't read the turkey try gasket directions either time i did it until after the last one that said to use gasket sealer around the ports. Never had to do this on any other car. So hopefully this will seal right and I can get all the performance outa my engine that I should. Here are so some pics comapring the 2 Performer intakes.
100_4174.jpg
100_4172.jpg
100_4173.jpg
You can clearly see the new intake is about 2 inches taller than the old one.
Here is it mounted and with the carb on it.
100_4182.jpg
100_4184.jpg
100_4183.jpg
Now it did represent a big problem. The base plate for the batwing aircleaner is flat so it sits up off the carb. Thankfully I had an old HUGE aircleaner that had a drop down base that is the same size. So I swapped one for the other(will need some trimming) and low and behold I can close my hood.
100_4180.jpg
100_4179.jpg
100_4181.jpg
100_4177.jpg
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Well I finally got some steering wheels for us and installed them today. I took off the old goofy looking plastic one and put on a leather one from a Fiero. It has the nice contoured grips and is so comfy. Yes I know It hasd the Fiero horn cap. I will be trying to fix that in the future. It's also a little dirty. I will need to take some cleaner to it.
Hey, if you want, I've got a 3 spoke Olds Toro wheel that is leather wrapped and has the olds horn button. I think it came from around a 1985-87?? Anyway, the brushed finish looks really sharp and I'm betting its a better size diameter than the Fiero wheel. You can dye the leather any color you want and the horn button rubber parts you can plastic paint. LMK if you're interested. You can have the wheel for free, just pay the postage. If you want a pic, I think I can find the wheel and send you one. PM me if your interested. I think it would look a lot nicer than the Fiero wheel.

You've got a really cool thread going here.

One question: the valve covers. Never seen any like this and I think theyre really cool. Where'd you get them? Mine are stock and have the baffling inside. Why don't you need baffles in the racing onees? Just really curious.
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey, if you want, I've got a 3 spoke Olds Toro wheel that is leather wrapped and has the olds horn button. I think it came from around a 1985-87?? Anyway, the brushed finish looks really sharp and I'm betting its a better size diameter than the Fiero wheel. You can dye the leather any color you want and the horn button rubber parts you can plastic paint. LMK if you're interested. You can have the wheel for free, just pay the postage. If you want a pic, I think I can find the wheel and send you one. PM me if your interested. I think it would look a lot nicer than the Fiero wheel.

You've got a really cool thread going here.

One question: the valve covers. Never seen any like this and I think theyre really cool. Where'd you get them? Mine are stock and have the baffling inside. Why don't you need baffles in the racing onees? Just really curious.

PM sent
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Very impressive man...great job! I just bought an 86 Custom Cruiser. My friend wants it eventually to do pretty much what you're doing to yours. Great job, thanks for sharing!
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Well I got my transmission back from the rebuilder after the front seal went. I figured I might as well get the shiftkit put in and have the whole trans rebuilt. I also figured while the trans was out to replace the LT-1 radiator with an all aluminum one and to replace the Edelbrock Intake that was warped with another better one. The Intake was easy and I covered that in a previous post. The radiator was a bit more involved. I could not use the LT-1 radiators fans and since I had to shell out big dough for the trans rebuild I couldn't get new fans which can cost a good penny. So I bought 2 junkyard fans and made my own mounts. I think it came out very well.
100_4187.jpg

100_4188.jpg

100_4189.jpg

100_4190.jpg

100_4191.jpg

100_4195.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Stickman's Custom Cruiser Build thread