If I were a woodie, what woodie would I be?...

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

If I were a woodie, what woodie would I be?...

Aesthetics check time!

So here I was innocently scanning the interweb for Olds woodie wagons when I came upon this:

[It was mis-labeled as an Olds, promise. I'd NEVER look at another make, of course...]

Once the dry heaves stopped I made a panicked (virtual) dash to Google Images to verify that Oldsmobile NEVER, EVER did something that looked that stupid on the sides of ITS wagons.

Turns out they didn't (thank God), but they DID do some "messing around" with the shape and size of their "woodgrain appliques." I mention this because I wanted your input on what configuration looks "best" to you.

So forgetting for a moment (or ten) about the underlying vehicle, just styling-wise, which are the best-/worst-looking woodies?

Here's the one I think many people will like best just because it's the most minimalist of them all. I don't like the "humps" that stick up above the beltline--especially when it's just for an inch or two--but at least it goes all the way from nose to tail (and all the way here from groovy 1968):

Then they started (finally!) to "fill-in" everything between those wheelwell humps, and though you can see the awkward shapes underneath, it's still a clean-lookin' woodie machine (from 1974, just like me!):

Just a model year later everything went to hell with my personal LEAST favorite look, the "we-have-to-cover-these-stupid-fender-shapes-so-let's-create-the-WORST-Coke-bottle-shape-we-can" design (like nearly everything from 1975, it's best forgotten):

And finally we come to my personal favorite--not just because I own one--the "straight-across-at-all-costs," beltline-to-bottom-end, solid-wooden-block-style (this one's an '86):

[As my father says, "I wouldn't kick any of them out of my bed." It's just that without the razor-straight line from headlamps to tailgate it just looks wrong.]

So there you/we go. None have even come CLOSE to that ridiculous "upsweep" crap Buick used, but each design is distinctive in it's own way. Which is "best" is up to you.

[Actually, MINE'S best. I just thought I should be diplomatic about it... ]
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Thumbs up

What about woody wood pecker I do Like that buick too put a gs hood on it .
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Past Administrator

Personally I have trouble appreciating most woodies. I think taking a functional design (saving metal for the war effort) and fabricating something that looks like it just doesn't cut it visually. Same for the fake fabric tops you see on big sedans in the last 15 years. But with all that said, I like the last design the best for the same reason you gave.
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Registered

The woodies had absolutely nothing to do with saving metal for the war, woodies were around waaay before that.

Faux wood is better than naux wood.

I sort of like the Sportie woodgrain, with the optonal rear fender skirts it looks even swoopier.
The Furd Flux has horizontal grroves to evoke wood, at least fake woodgrain sort of looks like evoked wood.
I have real wood cabinets and doors and oak floors in my house.
The same people with plastic simulated wood floors, formica and particle board cabinets and pressed sawdust, masonite doors and simulated wood finish furniture everywhere, hate woodgrain because it's fake.
I'm a carpenter and if anybody should hate a woodgrain photo finish it should be me, and I likes it, I don't build cars.
Who wants to to varnish their car every year like a boat and have to worry about termites?

Isn't the last pic a chebby wagon?

I like this woodgrain treatment the best, it evokes curvature.
Look at the hips on that baby.

finished006s.jpg
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Isn't the last pic a chebby wagon?

Nope. You can see the "Custom Cruiser" scrollwork badge behind the front wheel opening. Believe me, if there's one Oldsmobile I can recognize, it's THAT one.

I like this woodgrain treatment the best, it evokes curvature.
Look at the hips on that baby.

My Angie has hips, too, it's just that hers are good, old-fashioned "German" hips: boxy and low to the ground.

[Out of curiosity, how much "wood" is there INSIDE your Vista? I have "walnut" finish (like the outside) trim strips and boxes and panels and doo-dads all over the place in mine. I like the "bringing the outside in" feel of it and can't imagine what "plain" Custom Cruiser owners think about there being wood everywhere BUT on their body panels...]
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM

well, I think that Buick is so ugly its cool, I really do like it, as for the olds I like the first one best of all