70 vista cruiser box frame question?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM

70 vista cruiser box frame question?

i have a rust free box frame for a vista cruiser. am i correct in saying the front half of this frame is the same as the cutlass convertible? the reason i ask is that i have a guy that is restoring his 442 convertible and has a rusted out frame. he was wondering if his back half would work on my front half. if no one here would want it for what it is i may sell it to him if it will work. i hate to see it cut up but at least it will be keeping another Oldsmobile on the road.
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Hopefully someone here knows for sure. Since the firewall forward is the same as a Cutlass I would think it is. Also, I believe the front doors are the same as a 4 door car or Cutlass wagon. I know the back seat door is longer than the 4 door or Cutlass wagon so I suspect that's where the extra length was added. If someone were good at it, I would think they could shorten the frame and change whatever rear portion that may be different between a wagon and the convertible. John
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

The side rails are substantially longer (121" wheelbase vs. 112" on the convert). I suspect the part behind the axle is also different, but I do not know that for sure.
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM

it is mostly differant behind the side rails, i just wonder if there is any difference from the transmission cross member and forward.
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM

I think from that point forward it is the same.
Remember also another fact, Vista crusier's have a 6 inch longer wheel base than the flat top wagons.Just an FYI
If you had a flat top frame and I had the money I would take it for myself.
It was good of you to offer it up to us before sending it to the chopping block, so on behalf of us all thanks for the concideration!
Peace
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Homestar
I think from that point forward it is the same.
Remember also another fact, Vista crusier's have a 6 inch longer wheel base than the flat top wagons.Just an FYI
If you had a flat top frame and I had the money I would take it for myself.
It was good of you to offer it up to us before sending it to the chopping block, so on behalf of us all thanks for the concideration!
Peace
Mine is only five inches longer?

Or are those female inches?
They get the wrong idea of how big an inch is from males telling them some things are more inches than in reality for centuries, sometimes way more.
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Mine is only five inches longer?

Or are those female inches?
They get the wrong idea of how big an inch is from males telling them some things are more inches than in reality for centuries, sometimes way more.
Which brings up the old explanation as to why women are bad at math. Because all their lives they've been told that THIS is 12".

And seriously, the 68-72 flattops and four doors are 116" wheelbase, the Vista is 121", which is 5" difference by my math also. It's also 5" for the 64-67 cars, just 115" vs. 120". And finally, the frame from the crossmember forward is the same as on the convertibles.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM

Are the boxed sections good on the 442 convertible? He could cut those off,& weld them on a 2-door hardtop frame.That's all they did at the factory.I guess it depends where his is rotted.You could use the Vista frame until you get to the area where the door latches(on a 2-door).After that,the frame has different contours & is longer as mentioned.