1992 cutlass wagon FWD brake question

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:27 AM
ROCKETeer

Post 1992 cutlass wagon FWD brake question

hey guys i have to do the brakes on my friends cutlass wagon tomorrow, and i want to know if anyone knows what kind of bolts hold the calipers on, are they allen head or metric 6 point? my friend is very technologically dumb, so he wont know what im talking about, and i dont want to go there and look then go back and get tools

its one of these wagons...

thanks!

p.s.

i really didnt know where to put this!
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Past Administrator

Almost the same, my '99 LeSabre uses Allen bolts. Couldn't you just bring both sets of tools? A full set of Allen head socket adapters don't take up that much space, same for metric sockets. Unless you are riding a motorcycle or bike, even then....
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM
ROCKETeer

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Almost the same, my '99 LeSabre uses Allen bolts. Couldn't you just bring both sets of tools? A full set of Allen head socket adapters don't take up that much space, same for metric sockets. Unless you are riding a motorcycle or bike, even then....
thanks! yeah i was gonna ride my motor cycle over there to save on gas, cus its kinda far away, and its really nice outside! so i didnt wanna fill up my backpack with all kindsa crapola!

now all i have to bring is my ratchet, breaker bar, my 1/4 drive allens and a c clamp!
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:13 PM
ROCKETeer

hey guys whats up. before i go any farther the car is actually a '94 cutlass cruiser s wagon not a 92, my bad.

anyway long story short the car is mine now, and im having a bit of trouble with it. for a while before the car was mine the check engine light was on and it was the o2 sensor. now the check engine light came back on yesterday, and then later to my surprise when i turned the car on the alternator light turned on! the check engine light comes on immediately and is not intermittent, but the alternator light is, when im driving at night and the alternator light comes on the headlights get brighter... i noticed the fuel guage and the temp guage dont work so well, sadly those are the only guages i dont even know where the diagnostic port is for this car, i know its obd 1 and getting the codes translated isnt a problem. but i was just looking at this wesite http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1994/...lls/index.html do you guys think this has anything to do with my problem? and will anyone even do this recall for me? and is it free?
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
ROCKETeer

DSC02871.jpg
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hangin' out...

The diagnostic port should be under the dashboard on the driver's side. I think that's pretty universal for pre OBD2 GM.

http://chevythunder.com/aldl_terminal_location.jpg

It sounds like you have some loose wiring behind your instrument cluster, but your SES light is likely related to some other malfunction.

Also, I don't want to cause an confusion, but my 1986 FWD buick used a Torx55 head to remove the caliper bolts. I don't know if it changed back to Allen, but you never know. Let us know what they are!
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM

The data port is under the driver's side dashborad as Henry stated. If it is a GM type 1 data port you can use a paper clip to short the A and B terminals together to get the codes to flash the Check Engine Light (1995 was the first year for OBD 2 as far as I know). It will flash 1-2 three times, then it will do all of the codes three times before going back to 1-2.

You should have your alternator checked at your local auto parts store. They will do it for free.
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:24 PM
ROCKETeer

Originally Posted by Olds64
The data port is under the driver's side dashborad as Henry stated. If it is a GM type 1 data port you can use a paper clip to short the A and B terminals together to get the codes to flash the Check Engine Light (1995 was the first year for OBD 2 as far as I know). It will flash 1-2 three times, then it will do all of the codes three times before going back to 1-2.

You should have your alternator checked at your local auto parts store. They will do it for free.

thanks, the alternator is new, but that doesnt mean its not broken, i have a tester at my house, but its snowing so ima have to wait to test it, but if its not the alternator what would it be?
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
ROCKETeer

Originally Posted by henryk8398
The diagnostic port should be under the dashboard on the driver's side. I think that's pretty universal for pre OBD2 GM.

http://chevythunder.com/aldl_terminal_location.jpg

It sounds like you have some loose wiring behind your instrument cluster, but your SES light is likely related to some other malfunction.

Also, I don't want to cause an confusion, but my 1986 FWD buick used a Torx55 head to remove the caliper bolts. I don't know if it changed back to Allen, but you never know. Let us know what they are!
yeah they were allen head
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:08 AM

but if its not the alternator what would it be
It could be the battery as well; however, it is dangerous to speculate. Once the weather breaks check the codes and let us know what you find out. If you don't have a manual to decipher the codes you can either check on-line or go to your auto parts store and get a print out of what the codes mean.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM
ROCKETeer

hay guys, i just got back from school, and the whole drving time the battery light didnt go on, but the check engine was on, so just now i tried to check it, i jumped a to b, theres only 3 prongs, and i think the 3rd prong is for ABS, and after i had the connection jumped, i turned the key forward to run, and the check engine light did not flash... i have an 88 cadillac with obd 1 and i have had to pull numerous codes over the years, and i did it the same to my olds as i did my cadi... is there something more major wrong? i noticed the gas guage even at 3/4 lines to dip between the 1/4-3/4 range when i stop quick...
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:16 AM
ROCKETeer

Originally Posted by Olds64
It could be the battery as well; however, it is dangerous to speculate. Once the weather breaks check the codes and let us know what you find out. If you don't have a manual to decipher the codes you can either check on-line or go to your auto parts store and get a print out of what the codes mean.
the battery and alternator both appear to be new, idk how old they are, but they dont have any yellow grease pencil on them, so i know they are store bought...
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Even if it was older codes "stored codes" it should have flashed. Make sure your jumper wire is good and is making good contact. Just try again.

When driving the car the engine light stays on and is not flashing. Than it is an emission or "engine management" code not a mechanical fail code. More than likely a o2 sensor, TPS sensor, or purge valve. Something along those lines.

You can always disconnect the battery for a min. reconnect it than drive the car and see if the light comes back on. It could be just a stored code of something that has already been fixed.
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Make sure it was the A & B terminals you shorted together. They are right next to each other. Sometimes it is easy to get the ALDL flipped upside down. There should be little letters in the palstic of the ALDL.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:12 PM
ROCKETeer

on my cadillac they are all the way on the left next to each other, but on this one they are all the way to the right and on top of each other... i used a piece to plain wire to short them together and nuthin...
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
ROCKETeer

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Even if it was older codes "stored codes" it should have flashed. Make sure your jumper wire is good and is making good contact. Just try again.

When driving the car the engine light stays on and is not flashing. Than it is an emission or "engine management" code not a mechanical fail code. More than likely a o2 sensor, TPS sensor, or purge valve. Something along those lines.

You can always disconnect the battery for a min. reconnect it than drive the car and see if the light comes back on. It could be just a stored code of something that has already been fixed.
welp, the clock only has about 133xxx on it and the O2 sensor got changed with in the past 2 years... i thought about disconnecting the battery, maybe ill do that, and if the light comes back on try it again... maybe ill go to pep boys had have them run a scanner on it, they do that sort of thing for free right?
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM

IDK about Pep Boys, but Autozone doesn't scan OBD1 vehicles. But, while your there, buy a book on the car.

The way I always tested alternators was to disconnect the battery while the car is running with all accessories off. Well, thats how it was done back in grandpa's day anyhow. If the car shuts off, bad alternator. Don't let it run like that for long, as it is hard on the alternator. Once the magic smoke is released, it cannot be put back in.

And x2 on disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. My 87 Cutlass was displaying a stored code that never came back after a reset.

--Ryan
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
ROCKETeer

Originally Posted by yzzerdd
IDK about Pep Boys, but Autozone doesn't scan OBD1 vehicles. But, while your there, buy a book on the car.

The way I always tested alternators was to disconnect the battery while the car is running with all accessories off. Well, thats how it was done back in grandpa's day anyhow. If the car shuts off, bad alternator. Don't let it run like that for long, as it is hard on the alternator. Once the magic smoke is released, it cannot be put back in.

And x2 on disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. My 87 Cutlass was displaying a stored code that never came back after a reset.

--Ryan
magic smoke?
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:37 PM

LOL, its a joke. Magic smoke is the smoke that comes out of your alternator when it gives out.

--Ryan
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Most auto parts stores will hook up a scan tool to your ALDL for free. That is odd that you aren't getting the codes to flash.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
ROCKETeer

you wanna hear something weirder than that? my back passenger window rolls down by itself when i sharply turn left...
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Yeah, that is odd!
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
ROCKETeer

this car is starting to scare me, something electrical has to be bad,i was getting the morse code from the battery light again last night... and for dome reason the doors wont unlock when i put the car back into park... if it wasnt 30 degrees out id be taking a look at it...
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:42 AM
ROCKETeer

ok. now i dont get it, i got an actual tester with a book that you plug in, it even says its for oldsmobile up to 94' and the check engine light still wont flash
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
ROCKETeer

weird... i was driving earlier and the check engine light shut off... but i am skeptical...
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
ROCKETeer

i knew it wouldnt last long, now ill disconnect the battery to clear the code and see how long if at all it takes to come back on...
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
ROCKETeer

oh! and also,

DSC02904.jpg