Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

47 Oldsmobile Parts - Solenoid Switch

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2015, 08:23 PM

Unhappy 47 Oldsmobile Parts - Solenoid Switch

Can't find the solenoid switch for 1947 Oldsmobile inline 6. It's still 6 volt. All I can find is "parts obsolete" and no reference to anything else. It has to fit the plunger that moves the starter gear out to where it will engage the flywheel unless someone knows something I dont. What is everyone else doing, replacing the whole starter with something more recent, using a solenoid from something else or what?
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:55 PM

I don't know your location( if you are in a farm area) but often generator/ alternator re builders will carry 6 volt solenoids or the parts to re build them for tractors that cross over to the automotive side of things.....Tedd
Old May 1st, 2015, 03:09 AM

^^^ X2 TSC or Tractor Supply Chain for agricultural stuff.
Old May 1st, 2015, 01:51 PM

Already talked to one place about rebuilding it and they said they cant do anything with it. Maybe they didnt want to fool with it. The brass bolts/lugs that the main power feed connects to are stripped big time. Do you know what tractor the solenoid crosses over to so I know what to look for?
Old May 1st, 2015, 08:43 PM

Sorry I don't. I had a spare starter motor rebuilt last week (12 volt) and the guy who does this got a new solenoid for my 55. Though expensive he had a source for the solenoid, he works on mostly older car/ tractor electric and diesel stuff and can rebuild many starters from the ground up, you might give him a call 530-826-0250 . His name is John and the business is Larkin Electric in Hamiliton City Ca. Tell him Tedd with the 55 sent you, probably won't help on the price but may help me get something done in a hurry sometime when I need it badly....Tedd
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Would this work?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...ktemplate=true
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by lost&confused
Can't find the solenoid switch for 1947 Oldsmobile inline 6. It's still 6 volt. All I can find is "parts obsolete" and no reference to anything else. It has to fit the plunger that moves the starter gear out to where it will engage the flywheel unless someone knows something I dont. What is everyone else doing, replacing the whole starter with something more recent, using a solenoid from something else or what?
I'm assuming that you have the series 76. (?) There appears to be a situation of two starting switches (& starter motors) for the 6 cylinder engines in 1947. One switch was a pedal type switch; the other was the more modern starter mounted solenoid type which it sounds like you have. You didn't say if the damaged power stud terminals is the only problem. These may be common to newer solenoids; or they perhaps could be modified to work. Here's a kit on Canadian eBay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DELCO-STARTER...item56699b6ae1
Back in the "good old days" kits to repair the entire solenoid were available.
J.C. Whitney claims to have the replacement solenoid, made by Standard: http://www.jcwhitney.com/standard-oe...17954y1947g2j1
This seems amazing considering your fruitless search.
Kanter claims to have rebuilt starters. https://www.kanter.com/productdetail...Router=Catalog
I don't know if this includes the solenoid or if it is the correct starter.
If I'm reading your application accurately the GM part number was 1118109 for the solenoid and 1107050 for the starter. Fusick shows the 1118136 solenoid as being for the 1949-52 models (all). http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....ileCatalog.pdf
The Olds parts book shows it as being only for 1949 & 1950.
1947 was the last year for your exact starter/solenoid combination, but since the engine was used later another starter may work.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:15 PM

Tedd thanks for the number. I'll keep it in mind.

Oldcutlass that is a different solenoid than what I have unless it is a some kind of replacement type.

Ozzie I was told its a model S. I'm not sure myself but that's what I was told. It has the pedal type solenoid switch and it's a Delco Remy 1118109. You have to mash the pedal to crank it and the solenoid plunger mechanically moves a linkage or rod connected to the starter gear to engage the flywheel.

I'd have to have more than the studs since the solenoid is bad. The JC Whitney link is the same solenoid type as Oldcutlass posted. The Kanter link looks like my starter and it looks like its a regular starter without the solenoid linkage but it says the image is not the same as my part so I dont know. A Ford solenoid would work if I had a regular starter that doesnt need the linkage. I'll have to check on that.

I have found solenoids for 49 and later (different solenoids) but the 47 is elusive.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:26 PM
Administrator

The switch I posted is for the starter you describe, basically when the linkage extends the starter drive it then makes contact with the switch and engages the motor. Can you post a pic of your starter?
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by lost&confused

Oldcutlass that is a different solenoid than what I have unless it is a some kind of replacement type.

I'd have to have more than the studs since the solenoid is bad. The JC Whitney link is the same solenoid type as Oldcutlass posted.
The listing at J.C.Whitney is a bit confusing. You're probably correct about it being the same as Rock, but when I looked at it I saw the other picture and thought that it might be something.
I checked the 1118109 (solenoid) and 1107050 (starter) numbers in the Chevy parts book. It appears that they never used either. The Olds book shows 1118109 being used 1942-1948 (with solenoid starter), and 1107050 1942-1947 6 cyl (with solenoid starter). As requested, pictures might help, so we can tell what we're chasing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
canvas.jpg (15.9 KB, 5 views)
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:26 PM

If push comes to shove rather than have your Old's set and if you can could live with a non original starting system why not switch over to the newer later style system? Doubtful if anyone but the purest of the purist would know the difference. Just a thought....Tedd
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
If push comes to shove rather than have your Old's set and if you can could live with a non original starting system why not switch over to the newer later style system? Doubtful if anyone but the purest of the purist would know the difference. Just a thought....Tedd
That might be another option if nothing else works. The engine was used to 1950. If they didn't change the flywheel geometry the newer starter versions might work. They did increase displacement in 1949, so something might have changed then.(?) 6 volts existed through 1952.
If you need some other starter numbers here they are for the 6 cylinder engine:
1942-1947 (yours?) 1107050
1941-1948 (the other one) 1107034
1949-1950 1107955
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:19 PM
48Olds78

Don't know if you've found this out yet but solenoids for 46 to 47 are like hen's teeth. I've been looking all over US and UK for months.