Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

57 Olds replacement radio

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:32 AM

57 Olds replacement radio

I pulled my AM Wunderbar radio out to see if I could see why there was no sound coming out. Looks like it has a couple of dead tubes in it.
I'm thinking that since its only AM and there really is nothing much around here to listen to I may as well get a new AM/FM model capable of plugging an iPhone or memory stick in through USB. Have any of you seen a replacement the looks close to stock and can install with no modification to the dash. I may get the radio repaired at some point to be able to put back in the car.
I thought I had read somewhere were you can get your old radio converted but I am not sure I would do that.

Mark
Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM

Mark, If you replace the bad tubes and get your old radio working,there's a site on the internet called Redi-Rad Radios you might want to check out. It's a FM converter that also allows you to connect to an IPod,or MP3. Amazon has one Listed for $99. And they get good reviews. Concerning your old Radio did it make a humming noise when turned on ,but no other sound.If it didn't hum, replace the OZ4 Tube and it will probably work. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; March 23rd, 2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Add info
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM

Thanks Larry, I'll check them out.

Mark
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Concerning your old Radio did it make a humming noise when turned on ,but no other sound.If it didn't hum, replace the OZ4 Tube and it will probably work. Larry
When I turn it on there is not a sound. I had the covers off and could see the orange glow from all but two of the tubes. I will do some research and see what I can find. Thanks again Larry.

Mark
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:23 PM

I have a radio out of a 57 but I haven't had the need or reason to check it out.If yours gets to be a problem keep this in mind and we can work something out, It's just taking up space in my garage......Tedd
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:09 AM

Mark, after re-reading about this, you must have fm radio source(Such as a "Walkman FM Radio " to make this work with this Redi-Rad Radio.They say it will work as a combination
The "Walkman Portable" Is another $20 or so if you don't have one. Just wanted to let you know that I first thought it was FM Converter within Itself. Larry
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:20 PM

Conversions?

Thanks Tedd I will keep that in mind.

Thanks Larry I had a look at this and I think it would be a little awkward.

I found a couple of guys that do conversions. They seem a little pricey but they take your old radio and turn it into an new electronic version keeping the old functions including the Wunderbar functions

Here is on guy I found; http://www.garytayman.com

I have sent him a few more questions, has anyone seen any of these conversions?

Mark
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:28 AM

If you can find an old-timer who fixes TVs, they can test your tubes for you.
I like to keep my originals in place, and working. Then I hide a new Alpine in the glove box.
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by twintracks
If you can find an old-timer who fixes TVs, they can test your tubes for you.
I like to keep my originals in place, and working. Then I hide a new Alpine in the glove box.
I have a good friend & neighbor that is semi retired tech-rep for Xerox.. His hobby is the rebuilding of old radio's, 6v & 12v.. He also works on the 110v house radio's from the '30's-40's..
My friend has done several car radios for me, one in my '39 Plymouth and the one for my '49 Olds 88. Both of these cars have modern AM/FM radios concealed somewhere in the car...
My friend goes through everything in the radio, replaces the stock vibrator with a modern electronic unit.. He also has the speaker re-coned, a huge improvement..
He thinks it is a waste of money to convert an AM radio to FM, he does put a pigtail on the radio that will accept an MP3..
Of course one big problem is that my friend is in So Cal.. Of course UPS and the USPS both service So Cal... Bill
Old April 1st, 2014, 03:30 PM

Decision

I know some won't agree with this but I decided to go for the AM/FM conversion with Bluetooth adapter. The radio will look stock and I will change the existing speakers to dual voice coil type that will replace the existing.
Like I said I'm not an AM fan and enjoy having music during my tours around the country. I will let you know how it works out.

Mark
Old April 1st, 2014, 04:00 PM
Administrator

I see nothing wrong with your decision and it will look like it belongs there. Let us know how it turns out.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:30 AM

Far be it from me to make undo comments about the modifications, etc., that someone is doing, or proposes to do to THEIR car..
I do have a thing for original radios, there are some pretty neat AM stations around the country.. AM radio has a much greater range than FM..
I have never been a big fan of car sound systems that will "blow the doors off"..
I put expensive sound systems in the same category as expensive alloy wheels.. Neither of which make a car run one bit better..
Old April 2nd, 2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by blucar
Far be it from me to make undo comments about the modifications, etc., that someone is doing, or proposes to do to THEIR car..
I do have a thing for original radios, there are some pretty neat AM stations around the country.. AM radio has a much greater range than FM..
I have never been a big fan of car sound systems that will "blow the doors off"..
I put expensive sound systems in the same category as expensive alloy wheels.. Neither of which make a car run one bit better..
To each his own in other words EH? Here in Ontario the AM stations are mostly just talk which I really am not interested in. This system won't be anything to blow your doors off…those days are gone LOL.

Good music just adds to the enjoyment of the ride. Also keeps the wife quiet...
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:28 AM

Just go to http://vintageautoradio.com/ and have your radio modernized or, if available get an exact replacement...
I got one for my olds, bought an old radio on ebay, had it shipped to Steve of Vintage Autoradio. He got all the old stuff out of it and put an brand new receiver in.
Now it got power without an end plus links to I Phone etc and got FM...
Nice deal!
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Mark-
Hope your radio conversion is music to your ears. I had the AM in my '57 converted years ago because I think that dash is just too cool to mess it up with an aftermarket unit. I love the fact that it looks stock, but is all electronic and has the additional FM band and jack for an aux. player.
Old April 19th, 2014, 05:12 AM

I should have it back next week so I can re-install it and put the front seat back in and go for a ride now that all the f#$%*#G snow is gone. It's been a long winter this year! Had the Harley out last weekend to go across the boarder to pick up a choke baffle plate…two days later we had an inch of snow with a 25 degree temperature swing.