49 radio needs a replacement

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM

49 radio needs a replacement

Radio in my 49 last played a tune 3 years ago... I would love to find some one to fix it but if that fails I would like to convert to something that still looks like the original.. I saw a radio replaced by an MP3 but I don't really want that. AM only would be fine. Just show me the Music..
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldbill
Radio in my 49 last played a tune 3 years ago
I'm guessing it has tubes? Have you tried replacing any of them? They're actually surprisingly easy to get and not usually all that expensive.

You would need a tube tester to actually test the tubes, but it's probably just as well to replace them all.

Here's a couple of possibilities:

http://akronantiqueaudio.net/splash.asp

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

I've had dealings with the second one in the past, and they were fine.

Make a list of the tubes you need with each one's number (12AX7 and like that) and then get on these websites or call them up and see what they have.
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:28 AM

Old Radio Tunes

Thanks, I'll give them a try. I had been told by locals that none of that stuff was available. I took the radio out and took the bottom off and the tubes are all right there where I can see them and read the numbers. I would be nice to keep it original.
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by oldbill
I had been told by locals that none of that stuff was available.
Darn those locals!

Keep in mind that it may not be just the tubes or even the tubes at all. I've brought back to life a few old radios over the years, and while new tubes do the job most of the time, it's also possible that new capacitors or other components are needed. But it certainly should be possible to return your radio to working condition as is as opposed to replacing its internals with modern circuitry.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Past Administrator

Another problem may be the old paper style capacitors, they just don't hold up over time and their values have changed so much that the radio may work, but very poorly. There are places that will repair your radio to like new condition, or upgrade it whichever you wish. I will see if I can find the link to one of them.

Here is one of them.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Past Administrator

By the way, I think I missed your previous posts and never welcomed you to the site. It is kind of late but welcome to the site. Ever get your other projects finished (brakes, suspension)?
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:48 AM

I looked at the Bobs Radio site and I noticed that he will NOT guarantee any radio on an 8V system! I am running an 8Volt battery in my 49. Its about the only way to be sure it will start! I just wonder what damage that will/has caused to the radio? It seems to me that some kind of a stepdown transformer could cut the 8V back to 6V if it really damages the radio?
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:02 AM

Keep the tube radio and have it rebuilt, replacing caps and out of spec resistors. It's a novelty.