Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 Holiday Gas Gage

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
It looks like 98regency hijacked DFitz's thread. I doubt it was intentional but I don't know if DFitz ever got an answer.
I think Mr. Fitz did get an answer. In message number 9 in this thread he said this:

Excellent, this is exactly what I needed to look into it guys. Thanks.
Sounds like an answered question to me.

Plus, 98regency's question was about his fuel gauge, which was the original topic of the thread. Seems reasonable to me for him to bring up his problem, and if this is a hijacking of a thread, it's a very mild case of it.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 9th, 2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old October 9th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think sidetracked a thread would probably be a better term.
Old October 9th, 2014, 03:16 PM

I don't think he sidetracked anything. Mr. Fitz's question was answered by post #9. 98regency's first post wasn't until #24. Yes, Mr. Fitz, et al continued the conversation, but they weren't talking about fuel gauges any more. If anything, Mr. Fitz hijacked his own thread.
Old October 9th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I don't think he sidetracked anything. Mr. Fitz's question was answered by post #9. 98regency's first post wasn't until #24. Yes, Mr. Fitz, et al continued the conversation, but they weren't talking about fuel gauges any more. If anything, Mr. Fitz hijacked his own thread.
Jaunty, go find you a fencepost to argue with.
Old October 9th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 98regency
Yes, the tank is original and on top nearly complete rusted trough. I think I'm changing the tank this winter.

I bought the sending unit on rockauto.com.
I'm going to check the wire as you said, but I think I have no other choice as to live with this dancing pointer
Another thing that occurs to me is that you might have an intermittent ground. The vibration of the car as it is simply running and moving along the road could cause the ground to make-break-make-break over and over. That would cause the gauge to wiggle around.

I think if you change out the tank, in the process of doing so, including disconnecting and reconnecting the sending unit, your ground connection will be renewed, and you'll have a good chance of curing this problem. If the problem is still there after the new fuel tank is in, then it's poltergeists, and you'll have to live with it.
Old October 9th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Jaunty, go find you a fencepost to argue with.
Hey, you're the one that seems to be looking for a reason to be critical of 98regency and accusing him of hijacking a thread when no one else was making that claim or showing any concern. If anyone needs a fencepost to argue with, it's you.
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Stächer

@redoldsman: The last answer of Mr. Fitz was at : October 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM
This is one year ago, so I think he could solve his problem... And this thread is about fuel gauges, so why shouldn't I post my problem here? It's unnecessary to make a new thread with similar problems.
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:12 AM

The last answer of Mr. Fitz was at : October 27th, 2013
Good point!!! I didn't even notice that. Not only was the OP's question answered, it was answered a year ago. Nobody would define that as hijacking a thread.
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

98regency, I really hope you get your gas gage fixed. Jaunty, I was the guy that defended you recently when a number of people were blasting you. Hold your breath and wait for that to happen again. I am done with this thread.
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:29 AM

Jaunty, I was the guy that defended you recently when a number of people were blasting you.
I realize this, and I thought it meant a new page in our relationship. I see that I was wrong.

It's clear that you are in the wrong in the conversation here in accusing Mr. Regency of hijacking a thread that hadn't had a post in it in a year, and you owe him an apology along with your well wishes. We won't hold our breath for that to happen.
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jaunty, we don't have a relationship. Never will.

98regency, if I have offended you, I am sorry. I should have paid more attention to the dates of the postings on the thread. I really do hope you get you gas gage fixed.

Now I am done with this thread.
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:00 AM

Jaunty, we don't have a relationship. Never will.
I'm sorry to hear this. I bet we have much in common.

You really are just a bitter old man, aren't you. I feel sorry for you.

Now I am done with this thread.
That's twice now you've said this. Can we try for three?
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Stächer

So, I checked the wire as you said. With grounded wire the pointer is on "E" and without ground, the pointer goes above "F". The gauge is working well... But I found another thing which might be a reason for my problem. I have fault current on my front light. With normal lights on, the high beam lights are slightly gloving.. I think it's a problem with the ground. Could that matters?
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:59 AM

So, I checked the wire as you said. With grounded wire the pointer is on "E" and without ground, the pointer goes above "F". The gauge is working well
I agree. Your gauge is working fine

But I found another thing which might be a reason for my problem. I have fault current on my front light. With normal lights on, the high beam lights are slightly gloving.. I think it's a problem with the ground. Could that matters?
I do think you have a problem with the headlight wiring, perhaps in the high-beam switch given that it's the high-beams that are the problem. But I doubt this is connected to your fuel gauge problem as these are separate circuits.

One thing you want to verify that isn't tested when you checked the gauge is the ground for the sending unit. There should be two wires from the sending unit, one to the gauge and the other to ground. If the ground wire is loosely attached or the connection is partly corroded, it could be making intermittent contact that could cause the gauge to wiggle as it does.

But if the ground is good, then I think the issue goes back to what we've said before. You will have verified that all of the external wiring for the gauge circuit and the gauge itself are good. That leaves only the sending unit inside the tank. Either there's a problem with it, in spite of the fact that it's new, or it's fine and the wiggling is just normal behavior.

If the external wiring is OK, just for your own satisfaction, it might be worth putting in another new sender just to see if the problem is fixed. If it is, you'll be glad you did it. If it isn't, you'll know once and for all that the gauge's behavior is normal and just something you have to live with.
Old October 11th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Stächer

I agree with you in all points. As I removed the tank to change the sending unit, I didn't see any loosenend parts in it. I'm going to check the ground attachment of the sending unit. If it's well, then it's a poltergeist and I have to live with it
Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:34 AM
Stächer

So, I know the thread is old, but I think I give a little update
I checked the ground attachement and everything is ok.. So i thought there is no other option as to live with it.
But now, a few days ago, I was cruising normally and suddently I heard a scratching noise from the gas gauge. The pointer shaked very hard from left to right several times and there was also a ticking noise..
I think the gas gauge itself is broken. Could that be repaired or only replaced?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:58 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Well, it's been a long time, I haven't really had much to contribute lately. I do have a story to go with the gas gage issue.

I've been driving it pretty regularly these last 6 months. Almost daily driver with the kids to and from school. Not restored, so no one can really hurt it in the parking lot wars, so I figure why not. It's been dead reliable. After all, this is what the car was built for.

Anyway, since fixing the gage, I had never really run the tank down to see how accurate it was. So...my plan was to run it out of gas and see how close it really was. Turns out it pretty darn good, the new Fusick sender.

Only problem was, I was picking up my daughter from Lacrosse practice, and while on the way, my wife calls, yes--seems like sacrilege to have a digital phone in a 60 year old car, and said I have to give 2 other girls a ride home. I didn't plan on the extra distance. I did have a 2 gallon gas can with me for when it ran out. I just didn't want to do it with 3 girls in the car, at night.

Yup, ran out of gas about 2 miles after picking up all 3 girls. Not a big deal, right. Rural roads, get out, pour in the gas, go to a gas station right? I did warn the girls, they pretty much panicked. OMG!! It's like, are we going to get stranded? ".....No, just wait and minute."

Then they really freaked out when I had to crank for a while to get gas back up through the fuel line into the carb. I tried to explain, but to 3 13 year old teen age girls? Never going to happen. We're all going to die!!

Oh, pleeese! It's like they'd never run out of gas before. Turns out, none of them had. My daughter was trying to talk sense into them--she is the one who helps me on the cars...no luck. These days of digital everything, trip computers, it was like I was from the stone age. Then again, maybe they were right.

Last edited by DFitz; June 3rd, 2015 at 01:00 AM.