Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Horn ring removal on 55

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:59 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Horn ring removal on 55

G'day fellow olds people, I'm about to remove the horn ring from our 55, from what i have been reading you push down on the centre and twist anti clockwise?, this was the case on other types of cars but not sure on the olds so thought i would ask before i brake something.
regards chris.
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM

I had mine off to replace the horn bushing about 8 months ago... Can't remember the exact procedure but it wasn't any thing beyond simple hand tools and I don't remember any special tricks. There are screws from behind that hold it in
Old July 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM

The center "button" for the deluxe steering wheel is held on by two spring clips. No need for twisting. Twisting was needed on the 1949 to about '51 or '52. Gently pry center button up (aligning pry tool with center cross bar) on each side. Be sure to take photos at each stage of disassembly for proper reassembly. There are a lot of small parts and an insulator or two. Hope this helps.
Old July 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Thanks, i did see those spring clips behind and thought it must just come forward, ill have to disconnect the horn as when i pull up on it the horn goes off, my new wheel won't be ready till next week so will try then.
cheers chris.
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:21 PM

You might need a wheel puller if your steering wheel hasn't been off for half a century. Had to on mine ,no problem after that. If your horn goes off when you push on the wheel the rubber Insulator has collapsed and needs to be replaced. It looks like a big rubber donut and replacements can be found from Fusick part #566369,,,,,Tedd
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Oldave55 is correct. I recently removed the one on my '55 to see why my horn did not work, and discovered that I was missing the metal contact parts behind the steering wheel. Anyone have the parts that they want to sell? I know I can order the rubber ring, but I can not find a source for the metal pieces.
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM

You have, thusfar, some good advice. I will add a bit more, in case it helps. Removal of the horn ring (& steering wheel) is detailed in the 1955 Oldsmobile Shop Manual on page 5-3 with photos if this information is available. The procedure differs some between the standard and deluxe steering wheels. Your description and photo of your car makes me think that you have the deluxe wheel. Here is the part which applies to the deluxe wheel:
The horn wire should be disconnected to prevent blowing of the horn.
The deluxe horn button is held in place by two spring clips on the ends of the horn button which engage the horn ring hub. They are accessible from the underside of the wheel. (See Fig. 5-5) To remove the horn button use a small screwdriver to relieve the spring tension on one end and lift the button from its seat.
The steering wheel nut will have to be removed in order to remove the horn contact plate, horn ring assembly, or steering wheel. (See Fig. 5-6)
Best wishes on the job.
Your car looks beautiful in the photo.
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by Ozzie
You have, thusfar, some good advice. I will add a bit more, in case it helps. Removal of the horn ring (& steering wheel) is detailed in the 1955 Oldsmobile Shop Manual on page 5-3 with photos if this information is available. The procedure differs some between the standard and deluxe steering wheels. Your description and photo of your car makes me think that you have the deluxe wheel. Here is the part which applies to the deluxe wheel:
The horn wire should be disconnected to prevent blowing of the horn.
The deluxe horn button is held in place by two spring clips on the ends of the horn button which engage the horn ring hub. They are accessible from the underside of the wheel. (See Fig. 5-5) To remove the horn button use a small screwdriver to relieve the spring tension on one end and lift the button from its seat.
The steering wheel nut will have to be removed in order to remove the horn contact plate, horn ring assembly, or steering wheel. (See Fig. 5-6)
Best wishes on the job.
Your car looks beautiful in the photo.
Thanks ozzie, i have the work shop manual on disc and didn't even think of looking at it, will have a sticky beek.
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
You might need a wheel puller if your steering wheel hasn't been off for half a century. Had to on mine ,no problem after that. If your horn goes off when you push on the wheel the rubber Insulator has collapsed and needs to be replaced. It looks like a big rubber donut and replacements can be found from Fusick part #566369,,,,,Tedd
Thanks ted, i actually orded that rubber donut when i orded the new deluxe steering wheel from fusicks, my mechanic has a steering wheel puller will borrow his, can't wait to get the wheel back from the painter.
cheers chris.
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:31 AM

Just curious if you took pics of dissasembly,my manual is missing parts from the photo,like a spring and a small sleeve with a diagonal slit in it.Anyone else know where these parts went in the horn /steering wheel assy?
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:35 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by golds56
Just curious if you took pics of dissasembly,my manual is missing parts from the photo,like a spring and a small sleeve with a diagonal slit in it.Anyone else know where these parts went in the horn /steering wheel assy?
It was easy getting to the nut and undoing it, just pull out the plate and the other bits and place it down in the same order, the hardest part was pulling the steering wheel off, man it was on tight, had to use a crankshaft puller to get it off, once you get the centre emblem off you will see there is not to much to it.
cheers chris ps the new steering wheel looks magic just finished her off nicely.
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Oh ive got it apart,like 10 years ago.Problem is i taped it al togeather then and moved 5 yrs ago and the tape came apart so i threw all the pieces in a cigar box,except of course my memory.
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:21 AM

Question Might be the "horn button wire contact"

While I didn't make any photos of the area, you might be referring to the "horn contact & spring assembly" and the associated insulating sleeve. They go in the hub of the steering wheel and provide an electrical connection for the horn.

Last edited by Ozzie; November 25th, 2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old November 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM

the spring is just big enough to slide down the shaft and the split sleeve will snap into the spring.The spring is about 3/4 inch long and the sleeve is about 1/8 inch tall made of brass or copper it looks like.If i dont get an answer by tonight i will snap a pic but for now i have to drive to the other side of the state for yet another turkey dinner.Thanks for the replies dont know where id be without the help.Glen
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:54 AM

spring and thingy 006.JPGheres the errant parts
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:28 AM

springthingy

Are you sure those parts came out of your steering wheel? I don't remember that snap ring thing or that large of a spring. I could be wrong and I don't have my manual around to check today, but they don't look familiar to me....Tedd
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Question Unknown parts

Attachment 36519heres the errant parts

First, I should say that Oldsmobile has produced vehicles, at least back to 1940, with two different steering wheels in each model year. The "standard" wheel was generally a plain looking wheel with a horn button in the center. Many of these were painted wheels. The "deluxe" wheels, optional at extra cost, generally were fancier, often with a horn ring or some other way of triggering the horn, and a wheel made of a material, like moulded plastic, the surface of which would not wear off, as the painted ones would. As the added cost was modest, most cars were equipped with the deluxe wheels. My parts book only goes up to 1955; all the images show the deluxe wheels even though parts for the standard wheels are listed. I have a shop manual for 1956; again only the deluxe wheel is shown. None of the images for the steering wheels/horn assemblies show any parts as in your photo. Therefore, my conclusion is that perhaps:
Your vehicle has a standard wheel;
or,
These parts are from another part of the vehicle;
or,
Someone added these parts to help accommodate a collapsed rubber cushion, to stop the horn from sounding without the driver's intent.
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Attachment 36519heres the errant parts
those parts go before the steering wheel at least on my power steering column, I would have to take apart the manual steer one in my car to see if it's there as well. BTW, before some one corrects me 56 had one column with two set ups one with a shaft that went straight into the manual box and another with a lower bearing and a center shaft that ends in a rag joint for the power steering, see arrows on pic for those errant parts you found

Last edited by hialeah56; November 26th, 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Thanks Hialea and all the rest,My column has straight shaft non power steering .I have a 55 and 56 column both had the same parts.The 55 was blue and the 56 is light green so the springs matched the columns.I will install the assy.this morning then on to the fender fillers and baffles and fenders.The previous owner did me the favor,not,of dissasembleing the 55 ,he apperantly took the wheel off the 56 also and crossthreaded the shaft too,i was lucky to be able to chase the thread yesterday and it works fine now,otherwise i would have had to put the spare steering gear box in with the other shaft.Glen
Old July 22nd, 2022, 01:38 PM

I just picked up the horn parts by purchasing a horn ring on ebay. All the parts came with it. They are used, but good. I just saw another one for sale.