Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Power Steering on 55 Olds

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Power Steering on 55 Olds

Has anyone put a saginaw 605 power steering pump on a 55 oldsmobile 88. One company that makes a kit says that frame modifications is necessary. Also will the 605 hook up to the stock steering column. Might be ahead to try to find a stock power steering unit. Thanks
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Oldsdruid

I think you'll have to do some fabrication on the column as the original column shaft was made into the steering box and ran all the way to the steering wheel. To use a modern box and PS unit would require at least shortening the steering shaft and tube in the column, then fabbing a rag joint or U-joint to connect it to the modern steering box. You'd also need a support bearing for the bottom end of the steering column tube.

This might be an instance where using an X or F body front subframe or even a front stub from a 73-77 A-body might be less aggravation and you'd also gain modern suspension and brakes.

But then if you intend to keep original 324/HMT you might run into engine and trans mount issues.
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Power steering on 55 Olds

Thanks for your help, think I would rather go with stock items but haven't been able to locate them. Do you have any ideas for valve, pump and brackets. Also will a stock power steering valve bolt right in or will it need modification also. Thanks Randy
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I think you'll have to do some fabrication on the column as the original column shaft was made into the steering box and ran all the way to the steering wheel. To use a modern box and PS unit would require at least shortening the steering shaft and tube in the column, then fabbing a rag joint or U-joint to connect it to the modern steering box. You'd also need a support bearing for the bottom end of the steering column tube.

This might be an instance where using an X or F body front subframe or even a front stub from a 73-77 A-body might be less aggravation and you'd also gain modern suspension and brakes.

But then if you intend to keep original 324/HMT you might run into engine and trans mount issues.
Thanks for your info. Don't think I want to get into fabrication at this point. Think I will wait and find a stock valve!!! Thanks again
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:47 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by coldwar
Why not the factory power steering box for 1955? Not that hard to find, 1954 or 1955 box and use your mast jacket and wheel from your '55. Pump is easy to find, pulleys for engine are a bit tough. This is effortless, 'one finger' power assited steering, easy to drive - CW
Have to agree , we love how the factory power steer feels and turns in our 55
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:34 PM

Power steering

rv12350
Where are you located?
Do you have dual grove pulleys now? If not Damper dudes in Anderson Ca. should have them or can get them for you . I may have a extra pump and brackets some where in my junk ,haven't seen it in years but I haven't chucked it eather.Rebuilt power steering boxes are still listed in USA parts as s6.803v.And you may need to convert your inner tie rod to the power steering type ,thats #s6.230d I know that sounds like a lot but its mostly just parts swaping and you will realy like your OLds with the power assist. My wife loves it.... Tedd

PS. keep looking for a parts car that is by far the cheepest way to go.
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:37 PM

I've got a complete power steering setup that I removed from a '55. Everything from the steering column with the box attached, pump, balancer and water pump pulleys, all the steering linkage, etc. PM me if interested. John.
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by jhoppeolds
I've got a complete power steering setup that I removed from a '55. Everything from the steering column with the box attached, pump, balancer and water pump pulleys, all the steering linkage, etc. PM me if interested. John.
This is the way I would go. We added power steering to my friends 54 and it works great. I sent the sector to Chip at Power Steering Services, Inc and had it rebuilt. He is a really nice guy and does a great job. The link is http://www.powersteering.com/.
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:01 AM

How much do you want for your equipment? Does the steering box need rebuilt? Talked to Chip on Friday, learned alot in a short time from him, Great Guy.
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
rv12350
Where are you located?
Do you have dual grove pulleys now? If not Damper dudes in Anderson Ca. should have them or can get them for you . I may have a extra pump and brackets some where in my junk ,haven't seen it in years but I haven't chucked it eather.Rebuilt power steering boxes are still listed in USA parts as s6.803v.And you may need to convert your inner tie rod to the power steering type ,thats #s6.230d I know that sounds like a lot but its mostly just parts swaping and you will realy like your OLds with the power assist. My wife loves it.... Tedd

PS. keep looking for a parts car that is by far the cheepest way to go.
Ted Thanks for your reply. Will keep your info in mind. Received another post from a gentlemen who has everything I need. Also have spoted a parts car with ps and pb that doesn't have the pump. Let me know how much you want for your pump braket and pulley. Randy
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM

I do not know if my box would need a rebuild or not. The complete setup came from a long-time-not-running parts car. The car sat outside in the elements but the hood was shut and the system was full of fluid and the box does turn smoothly. The steering column does not have the wheel, turn indicator or shift levers. I have all the steering linkage but would have to look all that over to determine condition. I wasn't sure how much of the linkage would be different from a manual steering car so I just saved it all. For everything I'd like $300 plus the shipping.
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

We were fortunate to find a parts car that had power steering, power brakes and two very hard to find pieces of chrome that separate the two tone paint. It was not pretty but a bargain for $450. We hauled it down to the mechanic and had him pull everything off. I had to build a crate to ship the steering sector to Chip. Shipping was about $75 each way. I have included a picture of the parts car. This is when you know you are a car nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SCAN0010.jpg (131.7 KB, 82 views)
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM

I do not know if my box would need a rebuild or not. The complete setup came from a long-time-not-running parts car. The car sat outside in the elements but the hood was shut and the system was full of fluid and the box does turn smoothly. The steering column does not have the wheel, turn indicator or shift levers. I have all the steering linkage but would have to look all that over to determine condition. I wasn't sure how much of the linkage would be different from a manual steering car so I just saved it all. For everything I'd like $300 plus the shipping.
Where are you located! Randy
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM

Wisconsin.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:50 AM

Thanks for your help! Looks like I'm only going to be able to put power steering on this year. If I change my mind will let you know. Randy
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM

I recently installed a 605 box in my '55. It required some fabrication to get it in, more than I expected. I had to inset the box into the frame, rebox the frame around the inset and then modify the original column to connect it to the box.

My car is not driveable yet, but the box seems to work fine. All of the linkage geometry remained unchanged and it turns the wheels, stop-to-stop.

I'm happy with how it turned out. I gained alot of room as compared to the original p/s box.

If you decide to attempt it, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the help, looks like its going to next year before I get back to the power steering. Right now I have some brake issues that need to be addressed first. If you took pictures of the mod would love to see them. Thanks your your post. Randy
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM

1955 starfire from cuba

https://www.facebook.com/havanacitytour

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...vana_Cuba.html

Hello, my name is Nelson Pinero
This is my car, it is in Havana Cuba right now, and i have a problem with the power steering, its pulling to the right, and its getting hard.

MY email nelsonpi777@gmail.com

sorry My English is not good, saludos desde Miami.

Last edited by nelsonpi777; March 18th, 2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: bad tiping email addres
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:40 AM

eMail sent.

Roger in NY
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:55 PM

Power steering parts

I know this post is old but if anyone still has the stuff to put in power steering in a 55 olds please let me know
Old September 18th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Here is one on ebay. This is the toughest part to find. That long shaft goes all the way up to the steering wheel. It is splined and threaded on the top where the wheel attaches. The price is not cheap but would be a bargain if it doesn't have to be rebuilt. You will still need two groove crankshaft and water pump pulleys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Oldsmob...faf3d4&vxp=mtr
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:23 AM

only thing I did was get a steering column from junk yard and pump and bracket, dual grove balancer and water pump pulley and put it on the car, never had to touch it again,(20 years ago) nothing to change in front end, I have done several of these through the years as well as the power brake add ons from a equipped car. 6 uses a rag joint but the gear box wont bolt up to 54 55 which are the same. fairly easy coversion used to do both brakes and steering in a few hours. would just collect the parts which can still be found
Frank Allen
Old July 16th, 2023, 08:15 PM

1955 olds p/s

i've got a complete power steering setup that i removed from a '55. Everything from the steering column with the box attached, pump, balancer and water pump pulleys, all the steering linkage, etc. Pm me if interested. John.
i will buy the 1955 olds p/s unit and shaft, give me a price, shipped to 33898 - central florida, thanks
Old July 17th, 2023, 07:43 AM

Guys this is a thread from 2010. Maybe those parts are still hanging around from the original posters but you would wise to start a new thread.....PS.. John (2blu442) may have those parts, you might try contacting him...Tedd