Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Radio Removal 57 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Dan

Radio Removal 57 Super 88

Hi, I'm trying to remove the ***** from the Deluxe radio in my 57 so I can pull the instrument cluster out and have the speedometer serviced. Is there anything special to removing the **** off the radio? I thought I would just pull them but they are not budging. Could it be because they are old and probably corroded? Do I just need to pull harder and hope for the best or is there another way they come off. The shop manual just says "Remove *****, nuts and washers". I have to say, getting this speedometer out has not been an easy project so far. I still have a ways to go too. Not easy on the back either. Dan
Old October 11th, 2018, 02:02 PM

Are you for real? Look for the set screws on the ****
Old October 11th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Dan

Whatever happened to no question is a dumb question? I obviously didn't see the set screws. It turns out that whoever owned the car before wasn't much for cleaning. I just scraped off some crud and now I can see the screws. Thanks for the help.
Old October 11th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There still are no dumb questions. Maybe 59 was having a rough day. I certainly hope being that rude to a new member is not his normal nature. Hey, my 54 doesn't have set screws on the *****. Good luck on your repairs and I hope you enjoy the website. There are lots of good folks here.
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Oh no, not again...

It's a pretty safe bet that if the ***** were made out of plastic they may not have a set screw, and if the ***** are chrome, they definitely will have a set screw, so the initial poster's question was perfectly valid. On behalf of the rest of us on this site, our apologies, we're normally not that rude. Maybe 59 was having a bad day.
To answer your next possible question, there are two parts to that radio, one in the centre of the dash and one to the right in the form of the speaker. And be sure to hunt down any brackets because there's probably a couple in there holding that monster in place. It was a heavy tube radio. Also, be careful not to cross or arc anything inside the radio case, the voltage in those tube units can be very high.
Old October 12th, 2018, 05:55 PM

Don't feel bad Dan. Been there and done that a few years ago. And if it means anything, i am in the process of doing this same thing to my 57. Stripping everything from dash to repaint and re-chrome. Good luck with yours. Mark.
Old October 15th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Dan

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! After a sore neck, back and some Advil, I finally go the instrument cluster out which was my original goal. The speedometer is chirping so I'm going to have it serviced. I already replaced the cable to rule that out. I figure I might as well have the piece around the speedometer rechromed while I'm at it. I hope I remember how to put everything back together! Dan
Old October 15th, 2018, 11:36 AM

Glad you got it out Dan. Keep us posted on your progress. And yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,i can relate to the Advil. I am not as agile as i use to be. Mark.