Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

53 ifs

Old June 5th, 2018, 12:48 PM

53 ifs

I'm about ready to replace everything suspension and steering wise on my 53, the list of parts is complete apart from inner Tie Rods, Fusicks doesn't have them, and told me they're almost impossible to find.
For the money it's going to cost $995 in fact, there doesn't seem much point if the two worn out inner Tie Rods are left on when everything else is to be replaced.
Só now I'm thinking of an IFS set up, and do away with the old technology, is there anyone making a system for the 53 Olds? Has anyone here fitted IFS to theirs?
Old June 5th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

You do realize that your 53 suspension IS an IFS, right?

If you're looking for an excuse to install an Pinto, er, "Mustang II" front suspension under your car that weighs twice as much, far be it from me to stop you, but you might what to pause for a minute.

Kanter sells the complete front end rebuild kit for $493. No, this kit does not include the inner tie rods either. The reason is that those parts are not normally replaced. The inner tie rods have an integral ball fitting that fits into a socket in the drag link. You adjust this fitting with a drag link socket. Unless the ball fitting is damaged, there should not be a need to replace these parts.

If it's the kingpin suspension design that concerns you, you might want to take a look at this article.
Old June 5th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Joe, thank you very much for that extremely helpful reply, that article is brilliant and very informative, yes, I think I was looking for an excuse to install a M ll, based purely on what I've seen on the net with them being installed on custom rides.
I'm real happy to hear that my inner TR's can be used, provided, as you say, no major wear on the ball joint, something else I didn't know, together with the fact that my Olds has IFS....
Old June 10th, 2018, 06:15 AM

The front shocks are built into the upper A arms. Be sure that they have oil in them before you think that they need rebuilding. There is a filler on top of them. Add oil, cap, bounce or drive car, and repeat until full.
Old June 10th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am going to guess you would use 90 weight oil in the shocks.
Old June 10th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by twintracks
The front shocks are built into the upper A arms. Be sure that they have oil in them before you think that they need rebuilding. There is a filler on top of them. Add oil, cap, bounce or drive car, and repeat until full.
Sorry to interrupt this thread, but welcome back, Jerry! Nice to see you posting again. Your advise has been missed!
Old June 10th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I am going to guess you would use 90 weight oil in the shocks.
I don't think so. I believe they used some kind of non foaming hydraulic type jack fluid somewhere around 20 weight. A friend had a 40 Oldsmobile with bad seals and we would add ATF to his shocks and we couldn't tell the difference between it and factory shock oil except cost..... Tedd
Old June 10th, 2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by twintracks
Cheers for the heads up twintracks, I didn't realise this.

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I don't think so. I believe they used some kind of non foaming hydraulic type jack fluid somewhere around 20 weight. A friend had a 40 Oldsmobile with bad seals and we would add ATF to his shocks and we couldn't tell the difference between it and factory shock oil except cost..... Tedd
Thanks Tedd.
Old June 12th, 2018, 12:49 AM

Hi All,
I made my own mix for the shock absorberfluid…
˝ of STP engine oil additive and ˝ engine oil, the viscosity of the additive issomewhere between oil and grease.

This high viscosity mix gave really stiffdampers, no leaks and the car handles well in sharp curves.

/ Andreas