Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Need Fuel Tank for '36 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2017, 04:25 PM

Need Fuel Tank for '36 Sedan

I'm looking for a tank for a '36 sedan, or information on a tank that would fit from another vehicle make and year.

The car currently has a random tank that I have no clue where it came from. No sending unit either so the gauge doesn't work.

Any information on a '36 tank or one that will fit would be greatly appreciated! I have found new tanks for '38-'39 Chevy's, and it looks pretty close to fitting, but I'm not sure. I assume '35 '37' '38 Olds would all be the same, but not sure if Pontiac, Chevy, Buick, Packard, LaSalle would fit. I cannot find anything specific to Oldsmobile.

Thanks again!
Old July 8th, 2017, 11:12 PM
Phantom Phixer

According to my 1941 Olds parts book , the 1936 Olds is all by itself , when it comes to gas tanks . Practically every year back then had a different tank , and some years had two , depending on the model .
The part number , just in case you stumble onto a NOS one , is 407355 .
BTW it retailed for $9.75 back then .
Old July 9th, 2017, 10:31 AM

Tanks Inc.

Originally Posted by cozmo3710
I'm looking for a tank for a '36 sedan, or information on a tank that would fit from another vehicle make and year.

The car currently has a random tank that I have no clue where it came from. No sending unit either so the gauge doesn't work.

Any information on a '36 tank or one that will fit would be greatly appreciated! I have found new tanks for '38-'39 Chevy's, and it looks pretty close to fitting, but I'm not sure. I assume '35 '37' '38 Olds would all be the same, but not sure if Pontiac, Chevy, Buick, Packard, LaSalle would fit. I cannot find anything specific to Oldsmobile.

Thanks again!
__________________________________________________ ______

Have you tried Tanks Inc.? They worked with me on my 47 Olds and while they didn't have a tank specifically for the Olds they were able to identify that a Buick tank would fit. They also provided sending unit and tank straps. http://www.tanksinc.com/
The critical thing is the side of the car your fuel filler is on and what part of the tank the fuel filler tube would have to be on (i.e., toward the front, toward the rear, about center) to match up with your fuel filler opening.
I have only good things to say about their product and helpfulness.

If nothing else works you could do what I did with my 36 Chevy and build your own tank. It was a real and sometimes frustrating project but it came out OK.
Jerry