Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Winshield Wipers ( Again) !!

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Winshield Wipers ( Again) !!

Now comes the "Third attempt for winshield wipers". Vacuum motor (new rebuilt) pulls both ways and cycles ON & OFF when not installed on the car(30lbs vacuum). Installed, comes Off the bottom , half way to center of windsheild. Stops !!, (will not complete cycle, BUT It will return to Start Position when I turn off vacuum.
With the motor Off. I can mannualy rotate complete cycle with-out much resistance; There Does not seem to be a hang-up on the cables or pully system.
Any thoughts ????
Regards,
Fletxh
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Fletch, please remind us what year/model of car your working on. My only experience with vacuum wipers was a 1966 Ferd Bronco back in my high school days. When I accelerated the wipers would slow or stop until the vacuum came back up, and if there was snow building up it didn't like that either! Are you getting a full 30 lbs vacuum on the hose where it plugs into the wiper? John
Old November 30th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Forgot to mention the year: 1957/98 Olds.... I can effect proper vacuum ...Wiper motor requires at least 15lbs... I have that... Thinking the motor; even though it was rebuilt, might not have enough power to bring the blades back to start position.. I really do not want to get into a "probable cause" with the cable assembly.
Regards,
Fletch
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:02 AM

Wiper problem

I also have the same problem. Mine will cycle if I take the right side arm off and the windshield is wet.Not the best of fixes but it will get me home if I get caught in the rain. I don't venture out much in bad weather as my car is a convertiable and is used mostly in the summer.I have often wondered if I ran the wipers a lot if it would free up the drag in time, you might give that a try.My car is a 55 and should have about the same wiper setup......Luck Tedd
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM

In the manual it states how to adjust the the cables on page 17-7. It stats Push in the base of the wirper arm where the arm fits over the transmission shaft this sets the tension of the cables (maybe this is the simple fix) one can hope. The wiper section is a very long section and complicated would take some study before attacking as a rebuild.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM

Ted and Citapp: I called Fusick and thought maybe the rebuild might have suffered. Fusick(Jason) said, send it back to them and maybe they might be abel to fix motor).
By the way, Fusick folks are great.
Citcapp: I am framiliar with Page 17-7. I have looked at the arm assembly , and it appears mine does not push in.. system seems locked in position. Cable and pulleys seem tight, both wipers work in unison, just will not pass mid window.
I do think Ted has a good idea, keep working them.. in a pinch, I will follow the "one Arm" fix.
Summary:Was there a change in wiper systems mid year of 57??? I recall this 57 was one of the early production....the "Wiperman" good guy, suggested a trial of resistance with the motor hooked up, and measure how difficult it was to stop drive plate, seemed stronger when it was initiated, less on return.
Thanks to you all for the info... would like to determine if my unit came with the external tightener.
Regards, and thanks,
Fletch
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fletch
Ted and Citapp: I called Fusick and thought maybe the rebuild might have suffered. Fusick(Jason) said, send it back to them and maybe they might be abel to fix motor).
By the way, Fusick folks are great.
Citcapp: I am framiliar with Page 17-7. I have looked at the arm assembly , and it appears mine does not push in.. system seems locked in position. Cable and pulleys seem tight, both wipers work in unison, just will not pass mid window.
I do think Ted has a good idea, keep working them.. in a pinch, I will follow the "one Arm" fix.
Summary:Was there a change in wiper systems mid year of 57??? I recall this 57 was one of the early production....the "Wiperman" good guy, suggested a trial of resistance with the motor hooked up, and measure how difficult it was to stop drive plate, seemed stronger when it was initiated, less on return.
Thanks to you all for the info... would like to determine if my unit came with the external tightener.
Regards, and thanks,
Fletch
I am also working in wiper area of my 57/88. They are acting much like yours - at least the example issues you've given. (By the way, my car was produced later in the year, about July or August of 57):

• If there's a push-in feature on the wiper transmissions, mine have probably locked into one position over time (and am wondering if this feature ever worked - as there is no "push-in" give whatsoever).

• As for the wiper sweeping motion, mine also stops mid windshield, about 90 degrees for its full sweep - and I am thinking this may be normal, (but am not sure). The return is definitely weaker. In the rain the wipers work fine but on a dry windshield, there is too much resistance for it to sweep, and when I turn off the wipers in a rain they do not return to their normal down position - they simply stop wherever turned off.

I thought I'd share my experiences with you to see if they are similar - as yours sounded familiar to mine. If I find any answers, I will be glad to share them with you. One solution I've been considering is to convert to an electric wiper setup. They made them as an option back in 57, but it was told to me the originals are very hard to find. So the conversion would likely need to be compatible with todays technology. Good luck in the meantime.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; December 10th, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:44 AM

Smile Secret stash

Dan, I thought you were using the Aurora as a parts vehicle for your '57!!!
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Dan, I thought you were using the Aurora as a parts vehicle for your '57!!!
Your kidding right?

How does your wipers behave on your 57 Olds? Do you get that 90 degree sweep Fletch and I get, along with a weak return?

Last edited by Dan Wirth; December 10th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM

I get the same sweep as you do and my 57 was areadly converted to electric when I bought it. Thats why I think its in the cable adjustment. I just haven't found anyone who has fixed this problem
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I get the same sweep as you do and my 57 was areadly converted to electric when I bought it. Thats why I think its in the cable adjustment. I just haven't found anyone who has fixed this problem
That's three of us now with the same 90 degree sweep. It has to make you wonder if this is really a problem. The section in the Shop Manual is complex, but do not recall reading anything about how broad the sweep is (e.g., 180 degrees). I'll take another look and get back to this thread.
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Yep, just as I thought ...in reading Section 17-7 in the Shop Manual, there is no reference on how broad the sweep should be, except a note that says "loose cables can cause blade slap". So I would think that if we are at a 90 degree sweep and wanted it increased to be at 180 degrees (or closer to 180) we would most likely have to loosen the transmission cables some. The manual also suggests a helper that could loosen the left and right wiper cables from each pully, while under test.
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:54 AM

Thumbs up Clean sweep

My vacuum wipers work very well, and they sweep 170? (haven't used them for a couple of months) but they park about two inches above the trim so I just give them a little push with my finger If you need a helper I'll be right down...

Last edited by Yellowstatue; December 11th, 2009 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Plane tickets
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks ALL for the info. I know that the wiper motor had great force part way through the cycle... Winshield was dry... Fusic will take a look at the pump again and return to me. As for the reset of cables... I agree .. I think the arm shaft is locked in position due to age.. Might put some penetrating oil on the arm shaft itself(Cables are tight and lubed) Next step is to fashion an electric motor with what appears to be a factory set-up...
Citcapp. could you post a picture of your "inside switch" and under hood motor ??
Would be of interest to us..
Regards,
Fletch
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Fletch,

I'll take pictures this weekend and post. The previous owner used the stock cable control and hooked it up to a electric switch under the hood which controls the electric motor. He did a good job so the controls remain stock.
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
1956 holiday coupe

I've heard people use these and they work right of the factory control
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...Q5fAccessories
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM

That is correct, but you have to fab a mounting adapter. The chevy mounting is slightly different. There is a guy on the internet that sells a machined adapter. I am not sure what the difference is but have seen the this posted on a couple of other windshield wiper sites