Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Windshield Trim?

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2015, 12:11 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Windshield Trim?

One more thing. Sorry for all the dumb questions.

I currently have the windshield trim off the air vents by the windshield for painting. The pictures are in the other thread, 55 again. I got the stainless off the windshield sides, and the stainless vents off in front of the windshield.

At some point in the near future, I will paint the roof. I have been unable to figure out how to remove the long, about 4', stainless across the top of the windshield, over the rubber seal.

Does anyone have a tip as to how it is attached? I'm thinking some kind of clip in the middle that the entire thing slides off to the side. I've tried tapping it to one side, but it won't budge. I don't want to put much more force to it for fear of bending the ends.

I know it can't be that hard, just have to know how it goes.

Thanks again in advance. Dave
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:59 PM

Dave,there's a special tool for removing the windshield trim (O'rielly's) has them for under $15,and you can go to You Tube and see a demo on how they work. Very simple once you have the right tool. Best of luck. Larry
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:34 PM

55 windshield trim

How the windshield trim is attached depends upon whether you have a First or Second series car, I think. On mine (2nd series), the side and bottom pieces laid on top of the gasket, and were held in place by screws or clips. The top piece actually has a lip that goes into a groove in the gasket. Haven't put the new stuff back on mine yet, but I think the top piece has to be put on the gasket before installing the gasket and glass into the car, therefore you might have to have the whole assembly out in order to get the trim loose. I believe that the 1st series has that groove for the side pieces also. Good luck.
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:38 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Ok, thanks guys. I may just have to carefully paint around it. Not optimal, but I don't want to pull the windshield. Chances of breaking it are too high.

The side and bottom pieces on mine are held in with screws and clips that screw into the frame around the windshield.
Old December 12th, 2015, 06:30 AM

Dave,I was mistaken,the trim removal tool I mentioned was for later years in GM ,and was also used on most Ford products. Sorry ,I have not had to remove the trim on mine,but was thinking it used the same tool. Hope I never have to if the windshield has to be removed.
Larry
Old December 12th, 2015, 09:59 PM

On a '57, the outer stainless trim has studs, with nuts, that are accessed from the inside, after the inner trim is removed, and the front of the headliner is lowered enough to give access to the nuts.